Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mid corner car behaviour

Platform
    PC
    Yeah, you just need to do whatever you can to make the game possible for yourself. My computer doesn't meet minimum specifications, so this is how I cope.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    I might give it a crack.
    Interested what you will find.
    - I'm reasonably happy with steering ratio in the car setup. I used to make it quite a bit tighter (lower ratio numbers), but I've found now that I prefer most of the steering ratios quite similar to their default values. If I change it, it's usually pretty minor. I've just gotten used to driving with more steering input than I used to, I guess (likely just from playing other games/titles and not messing too much with the default settings).
    - Important that this minor adjustment in the steering sensitivity is not really changing at all the way the cars/wheel turns, in general (like steering ratio). My steering input is still the same, generally, as if it was set at 50. I don't notice any real impact in corner entry, exit, etc.
    - Where it is making some difference is at that mid-corner moment, where you're coming to the apex, and I constantly seem to find the car diving abruptly to the inside too much and I have to make a steering correction out of the corner to prevent myself from taking the curb/grass too much. It's really unexpected and this little behaviour is what I'm referring to. So that's why I'm wondering if there is just something not right with my wheel, maybe at that point in the steering rotation, it's sending incorrect or 'non-linear' information to the game? The minor adjustment to reduce the steering sensitivity seems to mostly make it go away and the car behaves much better (more predictable) mid-corner than it was previously.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following user likes this Post: blinkngone

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Atak Kat View Post
    Where it is making some difference is at that mid-corner moment, where you're coming to the apex, and I constantly seem to find the car diving abruptly to the inside too much and I have to make a steering correction out of the corner to prevent myself from taking the curb/grass too much..
    I've suffered this same problem with two different wheels (Fanatec GT2 and CSW) in both PC1/2 and would be interested to know if it's solvable.

I tend to believe the points upthread about it being a result of too much initial understeer resulting in tire 'bite' as speeds come down. But at least with my FFB settings it's hard to detect that that's what's occurring.
    ...because simcar

Rig: Intel i7-8770k @ 3.7GHz | MSI Z370 GAMING M5 | MSI GTX1080ti GAMING 11G | G.SKILL TridentZ 32Gb DDR4 | NZXT H400 case w/ Kraken x62 AIO cooler | Oculus Rift CV1 | LG 34UC88-B ultrawide (3440x1440 @ 60Hz) | Windows 10 Pro

Gear: Fanatec CSW v2.5 w/ Universal Hub, Clubsport GT rim | Fanatec CSR Elite pedals & shifter
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Atak Kat, blinkngone, Twinz

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Atak Kat View Post
    - Where it is making some difference is at that mid-corner moment, where you're coming to the apex, and I constantly seem to find the car diving abruptly to the inside too much and I have to make a steering correction out of the corner to prevent myself from taking the curb/grass too much. It's really unexpected and this little behaviour is what I'm referring to.
    This happens to me from rear tires lock at turn in. Either my bias is a click too far to the rear, or compression lock as I downshift just before turn in. The rear tires are already at the limit of grip, then I turn in and they let go, causing oversteer.
    Default loose tune? Have you tried pushing the brake bias forward a few %?
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    This happens to me from rear tires lock at turn in. Either my bias is a click too far to the rear, or compression lock as I downshift just before turn in. The rear tires are already at the limit of grip, then I turn in and they let go, causing oversteer.
    Default loose tune? Have you tried pushing the brake bias forward a few %?
    I don't think so. Been pretty careful to consider that, and I'm pretty sure it's not related. I don't think it's oversteer in the sense of the rear end coming out. It's much more like the front just has immediate and sudden grip that perhaps was not there before. But I don't really think I'm in an understeer situation before it happens (fronts I don't think are scrubbing so much... it doesn't really seem like the front of the car is losing grip when going into the corner.... I can usually pick-up when the car is understeering into the corner entry, but perhaps I'm not as observant as I think). So the 'jolt' at mid-corner is more abrupt and quite surprising. Perhaps it is as-designed.

Also, if it was either of these things, then I don't think the adjustment to the steering sensitivity would give me the improvement that I'm seeing?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by eracerhead View Post
    I've suffered this same problem with two different wheels (Fanatec GT2 and CSW) in both PC1/2 and would be interested to know if it's solvable.

I tend to believe the points upthread about it being a result of too much initial understeer resulting in tire 'bite' as speeds come down. But at least with my FFB settings it's hard to detect that that's what's occurring.
    Seems like you know or understand the behaviour I'm finding.
    As experiment, do you mind to just adjust your steering sensitivity (in game) to 47 or 48? Give it a try and let me know if you see a reduction in this 'behaviour'`
    It seems just enough to help reduce this, but not so dramatic to cause overall issues with the steering otherwise.

Platform
    PC
    OK; I'll try and find a corner that I'm experiencing that characteristic and we'll compare notes...
    ...because simcar

Rig: Intel i7-8770k @ 3.7GHz | MSI Z370 GAMING M5 | MSI GTX1080ti GAMING 11G | G.SKILL TridentZ 32Gb DDR4 | NZXT H400 case w/ Kraken x62 AIO cooler | Oculus Rift CV1 | LG 34UC88-B ultrawide (3440x1440 @ 60Hz) | Windows 10 Pro

Gear: Fanatec CSW v2.5 w/ Universal Hub, Clubsport GT rim | Fanatec CSR Elite pedals & shifter