Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to develop more confidence?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cluck View Post
    Depends on the driver. I use that 1st crash / off-track to ascertain the limits of the car and adjust my driving accordingly. It's rare that I will continue to crash or run wide over and over again, especially not at the same point.
    Although that 1500 hours may have something to do with that...
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: cluck

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    Although that 1500 hours may have something to do with that...

EDIT : I should also add, in the interests of fairness, my original reply in this thread was written under the influence of "some" alcohol! I haven't even read it back to see if it made sense to be honest but I stand by the technique I use. Invariably, if I'm in time-trial, my goal is to go as quickly as possible in as short a time as possible, so I have to find the limits of the car very quickly. Some cars I can adapt to instantly and not crash, because their limits are higher than I was anticipating. Some cars I have to 'dial back' my driving to adapt to them but, in those cases, it's almost always true that within just a few corners I am pretty much in tune with what the car can do. From there, it's a matter of seeing how it behaves across a full lap and then whittling down the tenths and the hundredths until I am close to my own limit. Or I get bored and move on to another combo.
    Last edited by cluck; Today at 00:21.
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // Logitech G29 wheel // Fanatec Clubsport v3 Pedals // Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz // Oculus Rift DK2 // GT Omega Cockpit Pro w/extra bracing //
    The following user likes this Post: Mahjik

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cluck View Post
    Depends on the driver. I use that 1st crash / off-track to ascertain the limits of the car and adjust my driving accordingly. It's rare that I will continue to crash or run wide over and over again, especially not at the same point. It's simply the style I've employed in driving games my whole life as it's the one that works for me and as such, I offered it up as an option for the OP
    Works for me, too. Go as much all in as I can in T1 until I find the (my) limit with that car. Once this is found, for most of the rest of the corners I have already found the limit or am close to it and from then on it's practice got get closer and closer to it everywhere.
    The following user likes this Post: cluck

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It might be helpful for the OP to get a feel for "cause and effect" with a slower car and low grip tires.

IRL, I learned car control as a teen driving RWD cars on old dirt roads. The "sugar sand" (as we called it) allowed drivers to experience driving dynamics in slow motion. Heck, just crossing an intersection in a straight line after a stop required throttle modulation to avoid getting stuck sometimes.

The GT-86 has some of the lowest-grip tires IRL and the game does a pretty good job of simulating those crappy stock tires. The car is low-powered, but thanks to those tires, you can still get throttle oversteer at-will...and do so in a predictable, progressive manner.

I'm sure there are better cars for this task, but I haven't driven all that many. Any way, instead of trying to "go fast" just try to get the car on the edge of traction through turns and get a feel for how it responds to small changes in throttle, brake and steering inputs. The goal is to get to a point where you have a reasonably accurate expectation of what is about to happen before you make an input and be able to make tiny adjustments to reconcile your expectation with what is actually happening. Generally speaking, the difference between the two will get smaller and smaller over time.

Once you get confident in slower, more predictable cars, the skillset will transfer to faster cars and allow you to adapt to twitchy, hard-to-drive vehicles in shorter periods of time.
    Steam name: z1nonly
    Windows 10 / 3770k / GTX 1070 / 32gb DDR3 @1333 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5