Thread: Project Cars 2 first refuses to install, then installs but refuses to update

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Project Cars 2 first refuses to install, then installs but refuses to update

Hello

Last week I purchased a physical copy of Project Cars 2 brand new from Amazon. After installing about half of the game, the installation then stopped and could not be resumed. The console then refused to eject the disc. Even turning the console off failed to resolve the issue and I had to disconnect the power supply for a few minutes before the console got back to normal.

Resuming the installation progressed the installation a little further before it again stopped with the same behaviour - resume wouldn't work and the disc would not be returned until after a shutdown & power outage.

The disc itself is spotless with no marks or scratches as is expected from a brand new game.

So following some advice I found online, I completely deleted the game and took the console offline before attempting installation again. This time it installed. I excitedly booted up the game and played a lap around Silverstone before deciding that I wanted to update to the latest version.

Updating the game to the latest version seemed to work fine, according to the installation progress bar. However, once completed the game absolutely refused to boot up. It would hang on the opening graphic with the 3 cars, before a message that said "For some reason Project Cars 2 has taken too long to start. (0x8027025a)." was displayed. Nothing I tried got that game to load.

So I uninstalled the game once again and tried to re-install. Once again exactly the same outcome - the game installs ONLY if I first take the console offline, and it loads ONLY if I don't update to the latest version. If I do update to the latest version then the game hangs on the startup graphic.

So what the hell is going on here? Did anyone actually QA this before it was released?

I'm tempted to return the game to Amazon as faulty, but I want to play it. I refuse to buy the digital version as that is 49.99 vs the 11.49 I paid for a physical copy.

Should I simply return the game and play something else or does anyone know of a magic way to get this bastard thing to work?

All my other games install and update just fine. I have no such issues with any other disc. I have an 80mb fibre connection. I have 2.6TB free space on the HDD.

Thanks
    Last edited by gareth.uk; 14-11-2018 at 15:17.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    This appears to be an issue on your side, because I have not heard of it before and have installed the game and the patch without issue.

You might want to try searching the Xbox Error Code (0x8027025a) since that is a Microsoft code not a SMS one. It may also be an issue with the Internet connection you have, because the Xbox will automatically update the game to the latest version, so the issue could be that it cannot connect to the Internet sustainably enough to patch the game properly.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I was having these issues just before my X packed up and I had to send it to Germany for repair. I have also had the message when the Broadband is going slow and I have to restart the router. It definitely isn't the game.

Are you having similar issues with any other Apps or Games?

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the replies. As I said in the OP, all other games work fine though and my internet connection is very stable.

I'm about to attempt re-installation one more time...
    Last edited by gareth.uk; 14-11-2018 at 21:08.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    OK it finally worked. I left the power disconnected for 20 minutes and I installed the game while offline. I then went online after installation was complete and installed the update. The game loaded.

I don't know which of the above - if any - is responsible for it working this time. And I sure am not going to uninstall to retry in order to find out! For now at least I can play the latest version of the game. This has been quite a frustrating experience and hopefully one that will not be repeated with other games.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Just make sure you let all games install 100% before playing them. I've never had a problem launching a game after installing it. I only got one physical game on Xbox One (FM5 from launch day in 2013 [now I'm on XBX]). The other 107 are all digital.
    Project CARS 2 - Gold Member
    Xbox One X/Seagate USB 3.0 4TB/Netgear Nighthawk x6 AC3200/Thrustmaster TX/TM Leather 28 GT Rim/Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2/T3PA Pedals/Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 + Superamp Pro/LG 43UH6500 4K UHD HDR Game Mode

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by nissan4ever View Post
    Just make sure you let all games install 100% before playing them. I've never had a problem launching a game after installing it. I only got one physical game on Xbox One (FM5 from launch day in 2013 [now I'm on XBX]). The other 107 are all digital.
    I usually get a disc copy, because my family get me most my games for birthdays and Christmas so I think a "physical" copy is a more meaningful present, rather than just a code.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I've certainly bought a lot more digital versions recently, but it often comes down to what else is being thrown in. I usually buy collectors editions, so sometimes you get better stuff with physical copies, and sometimes better with digital. If the stuff is exactly the same, then I usually get the digital version - saves me a trip to the shops.