Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: triple screen - nvidia perspective surround ? (impression)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    thx for the tips Mahjik

i dont use surround (all done in pcars)

those are my command line arguments: -novr -pthreads 4 -borderless

as i understand only the 10 series and later nvidia cards got SMP
    in iracing tutorials ive seen they got the option to use SMP (the sim will allow this only if it detects a certain hardware -> 10 series or later gfx-cards)

maybe im mistaken, but (it makes sence, not every user got a 10 series or later card) pcars 2 uses a multi monitor aproach, that allows all hardware to utilize it (works best in a flat monitor arangement -> side monitor angle=0).
    (SMP is ristricted to ... cards but not in pcars yet i guess)

i havent yet seen a demo/vid (no matter which sim) that doesnt have this tilted geometry in the side monitors (see my first pictures),
    (some could minimize this effect but it was still there)
    so i keep hoping, one day SMP will be standard (and lets hope it delivers what it promisses -> perfectly aligned, no tilted or warped or stretched or what ever images in the side monitors)

@e1: it would be interesting to see pictures of your triple screen results, too
    maybe some of you got it perfectly done (without tilted pictures in the side monitors)
    and can share how he/she achieved it

thx again for your help e1

PS: now it doesnt matter if im seated perfectly in relation to the monitors;
    but yes it did matter when the side monitors had an angle, though i didnt find any sitting position that bettered the result (side pictures were still tilted)
    PPS: in the side monitors it looks like the vanishing point (in a picture) is even further away from the middle monitor instead in its center
    example: left monitor: all lines should get closer on the right side (towards the middle monitor) but they get closer on the left side, as if there are 2 vanishing points
    i7 7700K@4200GHz - MSI GTX 1080ti Armor 11GB OC - 16BG DDR4@2400GHz Crucial - 3x Viewsonic 32" monitors 1080p@60Hz - fanatec CSW V2.5 + pedals V3 - fritzbox router

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    just found a vid from iracing
    where somebody compares SMP off and on results

doesnt look perfect (maybe achievable by tweaking/optimising the settings a bit more)
    but watch the change in the tilt degree in the side monitor after he set SMP to on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mw7ItK6tuQ

SMP on around 1:50

but in eather case the tilt is in the right direction
    (vanishing point in the middle screen; left monitor example: lines go further away from each other from right to left; in pcars its the other way around, take a look at the first pictures i posted)

watch this iracing vid (wrong tilt direction, side pictures tilted downward)
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9&&FORM=VDRVRV
    (around 2:10)

watch this pcars vid (wrong tilt direction, side pictures tilted downward)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JSoOOHCy3E
    Last edited by bigj_pcars; 01-12-2018 at 09:24.
    i7 7700K@4200GHz - MSI GTX 1080ti Armor 11GB OC - 16BG DDR4@2400GHz Crucial - 3x Viewsonic 32" monitors 1080p@60Hz - fanatec CSW V2.5 + pedals V3 - fritzbox router

Quote Originally Posted by bigj_pcars View Post
    as i understand only the 10 series and later nvidia cards got SMP
    SMP has to be implemented in game.. and as far as I'm aware SMS never implemented it, as they try to use vendor neutral implementations.

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    ...they try to use vendor neutral implementations.
    yes, thats my impression, too
    (and it makes sense ofcourse)

though, it would be nice if they would implement the option to use SMP, for those who have the grfx-cards for it

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    for what?
    the system SMS is using runs fine.
    you only need to setup it properly...
    OSW Lenze servo 29Nm, Fanatec Clubsport shifter (H-gated), Heusinkvelt SIM Pedals PRO, selfmade Sim-RIG, triple 40" 1080p TV, 2x Ignitioncontrols button boxes

Platform
    PC
    Here are my settings:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left_setup.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	262660

Name:	center_setup.jpg 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	262661

Name:	right_setup.jpg 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	262662

I measured the visible disply area and the bezel width, and entered the same value for all three screens. I have no bezel overlap, my monitors are placed edge-to edge. I measured the angles carefully, as I have a rather big difference on the left side (76 degrees) versus the right (25 degrees). The angle difference is due to room constraints.

And here is how it looks:

Name:	sample_left.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	262663

Name:	sample_center.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	262664

Name:	sample_right.jpg 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	262665

I found it is critical that the screens are aligned vertically so you look exactly at the center of the screen, otherwise lines will not look even between screens. You can easily see this by adjusting your head's position while looking at the screens (slump down, extend your neck).

-Torstein
    Last edited by torsteinvh; 03-12-2018 at 12:43. Reason: Fixed a few typos
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bigj_pcars, Mahjik

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    this looks awesome Torstein !!

i never got that close to perfect myself, thats why i desided to setup all 3 screens without any angle (this way for me it is perfect, i can look into the corners and see some of the action next to my car without any distortion or deformation)

even in your pictures the side mirrors of the car are tilted
    but that could indeed be related to the position of the viewer (or in this case your camera)
    (on your right screen i would correct the vertical parameter slightly, the picture looks like it could be corrected a bit up)

yours is the best setup ive seen sofar
    good job m8 !!!!

here again my flat setup:

Name:	flat triple screen small.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	262679

(here it doesnt matter where i sit or from what angle i look at the screens, the alignment of everything in the scene stays perfect)
    The following user likes this Post: torsteinvh

Platform
    PC
    Yes, I still have room for some improvement, but now it is hardly visible when driving, and only in open-wheel cars. In cars with closed cockpits I don't notice the small imperfections

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj_pcars View Post
    even in your pictures the side mirrors of the car are tilted
    but that could indeed be related to the position of the viewer (or in this case your camera)
    (on your right screen i would c
    Mine looks very similar to torsteinvh's. If you just use the correct measurements, it will look similar. Maybe not perfect, but 95% of the people using triples aren't that OCD.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    ;-)