Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GT3 Cars - struggling to match pace

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    One thing I can tell you, is they don't work miracles... they don't help you from overestimating how quickly you can stop... and they also don't magically just make you stop quicker.
    I am assuming they will actually help even more with throttle management. While cornering, you need to use some throttle in order to carry more speed, but with the standard G29 pedals at least, it is very difficult to manage how much throttle you are using. I also plan to get better pedals very soon, hope it will be a lot better with them.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    I also have a G29. I don't have any TT records though. My experience in completely the opposite. I am rubbish in TT, but post better times in actual races/online. I just think the two disciplines are different. It's one of my gripes - that the two are so different that you can't really use your experience in one in the other. As for matching the best, I guess you have to master all the skills; set-ups, trail-braking etc etc, which I guess the best of the best do. It's not down to one factor. But it is frustrating seeing someone in the same GT3 car take a corner in 6th gear and hold their line while you have to change down to 5th and still struggle not to slide out (I'm thinking of Eau Rouge at Spa). There was a guy the other night who was posting in the 2:13s at Spa. How?

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I use a g29/920 and pedals. I found the throttle feel was improved by swapping the clutch spring to the throttle position. The clutch spring is a bit heavier and gives a bit more feedback on throttle modulation.
    Cockpit view. 32 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 78. World movement 30, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mincepie10 View Post
    There was a guy the other night who was posting in the 2:13s at Spa. How?
    Was that with a GT3 car ?? That's difficult to believe
    MB ASUS Maximus VII Ranger / Proc : Intel Core i5 4690K / Ram : G.Skill Ares Blue Series 16 Go DDR3 2133 MHz CL9 / GC : MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X / HDD : Seagate Desktop SSHD 2 To / OS : Windows 10 64-bit / VP SONY HW30ES / T500RS + 458 GTE / ClubSport Shifter SQ / ClubSport pedals V3

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Well, to the OP, if you're in the 1:48s at Monza online, that's pretty decent. Agree though, some guys in the 1:47s (I seem to remember 1:46s as well!) are just on another level (especially online, which is usually not as fast as TT times). I cannot run 1:48s (if I get a 1:49 I'm feeling like a star), so I feel a bit unqualified to give advise, but maybe you can find something. Long ago I was able to do 1:48 pretty consistent with the Porsche GT3 in lobbies that had really cool temps, and the softs would work perfectly (you could close brake ducts, engine cooling, etc and it all made few tenths difference as well when the temps were colder, tires would also last 10 laps where in warmer temps they would not make it). But then there were various patches with changes and I have no chance anymore to get even close to that in any of the GT3 cars.

Chatting with a couple of the fast guys online, I think they've just figured out every bloody corner, how far they can cut it. Setup is also important. I've had a couple of them pass me their setup, but I cannot make it work. Example, that it's not just the setup......

You mention T1/2, and I think that's the main one where quite some time can be found by hitting/cutting the corners just right, especially the exit to the next long bend. I always cock that up and have to lift to prevent from going off wide and I pay the price all the way to the next chicane. Based on your description (T3), I'm assuming the same thing is happening to you.

T8 (entry to the back variante Ascari), here I only know that you can cut that entry a bit over the curb (at least one wheel), and almost immediately start the right turn afterwards. You can also cut the exit with at least one wheel over the curb. But it is tricky because there is a bump on those entry/exit corners, and if you don't get your wheel placement exact, your screwed. Have to place the car so that the 'bump' goes under the car, and wheels are on either side. Mess it up, and you're done.

As for equipment, I'm using T3PA pro pedals, and I can say that I had an issue with my potentiometer on the brake where it was spiking quite a lot. I didn't think it would make much difference, but after doing some research, I sprayed the pots with a bit of lube and the spiking went away. The calibration now shows very smooth movement. And immediately after I saw my times get better. Maybe 0.5s overall just from that. So, I do believe that better or more efficient braking can make a difference. Whether or not it applies in your case, I cannot say.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Monza and the 24h Le Mans tracks are very unique compared to any other track, due to the many very long straights. In other tracks, tuning does not make a huge difference, people still do GT3 WRs with default setups in other tracks, but in Monza tuning is necessary, as you need to go for max acceleration and top speed and do not worry much about stability. And especially in TT is no problem having a very unstable setup which would be probably very risky to run in a race.

It is also unique on how much a difference it makes on carrying enough speed and having a good exit speed from the corners, because of the long straights afterwards. You can make a small mistake and this can easily accumulate to more than a second lost at the end of each straight. 2-3 mistakes per lap can be 2-3 seconds lost per lap...

Regarding cutting, in the PC TT we can check the ghost cars of every lap registered (best times are at mid 44s and several people are doing 45s) and they are not cutting, it's just always using the complete width of the track. And carrying incrdeble amount of speed through the corners, which requires thousands of hours of practice to master.