Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie to PC2 and had a couple Career questions

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    The temp of the surface of the tyre is not the temp shown in the HUD, the imaginary sensor is deeper in the tyre structure, so there is a delay as the heat soaks from the tread to structure of the tyre. A few corners involving excessive speed scrubbing or under or oversteer can cause a sudden decrease in grip as the top layer of rubber overheats.

The tyres of the ginetta junior series are sensative to overdriving but on the plus side they are forgiving and give early warnings of grip loss.
    Cockpit view. 32 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 78. World movement 30, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Maskmagog

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Wow! Given that kind of in-depth detail, this sim is INCREDIBLY complex. I will definitely continue to work through this short, but seemingly very deep race series (I can’t even imagine how crazy the more advanced races/cars will be!) and be in touch with any further questions I might have - thanks for the continued support!

-Kev

Platform
    PC
    This is just a hypothesis. (Actually, two hypothesisesesises.)

The game is very sensitive to tire pressure and your tires have to be in a certain window to perform well. I think that window for the Ginetta Jr. is around 1.7-1.8 bar (if I remember correctly). As the tires heat up, the pressure increases. If they over-inflate, the contact patch will be significantly smaller and the grip reduced as a consequence. The default pressures are always too high. So if you started out with default pressures, after several laps they could have heated up enough to push you out of the pressure window on the high side. What I would recommend, is to setup a private test session with the same conditions and start driving. See if the same thing occurs and if it does, take note of the tire pressures. If they're pushing 1.9-2.0 bars, go back to the pits, adjust pressures downwards and repeat the test.

The other possibility is that the surface of the tire is overheating. As Zaskarspants said, the temperature shown in the HUD is the carcass temperature. [Imagine infrared sensors in the hub looking at the inner surface of the tire.] The surface temperature can vary substantially from that and if it gets too hot, the tires will be like chewing gum.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Kevwheez, Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Very interesting - continued thanks to you both! I will need to take a glance the next time I have PC2 up, but if memory serves, I used some pointers from one of the other folks here and lowered the psi (bar) on the tires to help combat that. I think they were in the neighborhood of 20-21 psi (1.3-1.4 bar) which “should” have prevented them getting overinflated, but I can see that I will need to try and keep an eye on that moving forward.

This game really DOES take into account a simply dizzying array of inputs on the car, track, weather, etc. Frustrating to start, but something I am assuming will pay dividends as one dials them in. Great stuff!

Platform
    PC
    Kev, here is a post from Casey Ringley talking about the target pressure windows for most cars in the game: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...Tyre-Pressures

The Ginetta Jr. isn't on the list but I'd put it somewhere between light trackday cars like the KTM X-Bow and GT cars. So somewhere in the 1.6-1.8 bar range. Ideal pressures seem to follow the weight of the car; lighter cars need lower pressures.

Now, if it turns out that your pressures are good, overheating might still be a problem. Try to be smooth with your inputs, avoid sliding through corners as much as possible and you may also want to soften up the suspension to make the car more compliant.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    The following user likes this Post: Kevwheez

Platform
    PC
    Ginetta Jr. recommendation:

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    Great info, Casey! Where would Ginetta Jr. fall in that list? I'm guessing road car since it uses all-weather tires?
    Yeah, minus a bit just because it's so light. 2.0bar(ish) hot
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following user likes this Post: Schnizz58

Platform
    PC
    You'd think I would have remembered that.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Maskmagog, Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Also take advantage of Yorkie065s videos on YouTube. They are extremely helpful and detailed.
    The following user likes this Post: Kevwheez

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    An update: Iplaywd a bit more last night and had mixed results. I checked out some other threads in regards to the car set-up for this series as well as watching some of the aforementioned Yorkie vids.
    The second race in this series (@Knockhill in the wet) was close to a complete loss. I qualified terribly and lost it on one of the downhill right-left turn combinations and ended up last. The brighter news is that I both qualified on the pole and then eventually won my race at Silverstone after that! The rain came in as it seems it always does about a lap or two in, but was able to nurse my 3 second lead through to the end - a nice way to end the evening!
    I will need a lot more practice in foul weather it seems before I can keep up with the AI cars in it. Is the best way to continue to learn against the AI career mode vs. trying to race others online at this point? I’d love to hear viewpoints on that.
    Anyway, I will slog on and once again, thank those that continue to help me along with suggestions, etc.

Cheers, Kev

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thought I would chime in after some progress in this wonderful sim!

I actually got my Ginetta SO dialed in (through the wonderful help on this forum!) that I won ALL 5 races in the 2nd half of the Ginetta career and won the Championship! I continued to upgrade the AI difficulty as the season went on, and I am now up to 70-75%. I have now moved on to the Porsche Cayman GT4 Euro series. I was in the weeds initially setup-wise, but, again, after researching different threads and doing some experimentation, I finished the initial practice session with the fastest time, and finished 4th in qualifying (only a little over 1/10 of a second off the leader).

Lo and behold, with an excellent hole shot on the first turn, I cut on the inside and never trailed after that! What a wonderful feeling! This sim rocks!

Thanks as always to the folks that put up their setups and advice on these races - invaluable info!

Cheers,
    Kev
    The following 2 users likes this Post: blinkngone, Maskmagog