Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How does a GTX1060 do with VR in Pcars2?

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I said that it is not the best buy opportunity more in the sense that since you said you did not want to go very high on budget, you can easily pick the parts you actually want/need yourself and come up with a better price.

For example the CPU, the i7 8700K is very expensive because it has 6 cores/12 threads, which I doubt will make any noticeable difference with the current games you want to play. The i5 9600K is $100 cheaper and I think with 6 cores/6 threads at the same speed it should do the job quite as fine, unless someone else believes otherwise, please correct me if I am wrong.

About storage, you said you would play two games only, for that a 240 GB SSD is already much more than enough, you do not need an extra HDD as well. You may even want to go to 8GB RAM to further reduce budget. But all that's only if indeed budget is an issue (and you indeed do not plan to install 100 games at the end ), otherwise of course just go all in!

I would be really interested to hear what pieces the reputable "sim racing" builder" suggested you to use, in order to come up with this $1300 price tag...

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    I said that it is not the best buy opportunity more in the sense that since you said you did not want to go very high on budget, you can easily pick the parts you actually want/need yourself and come up with a better price.

For example the CPU, the i7 8700K is very expensive because it has 6 cores/12 threads, which I doubt will make any noticeable difference with the current games you want to play. The i5 9600K is $100 cheaper and I think with 6 cores/6 threads at the same speed it should do the job quite as fine, unless someone else believes otherwise, please correct me if I am wrong.

About storage, you said you would play two games only, for that a 240 GB SSD is already much more than enough, you do not need an extra HDD as well. You may even want to go to 8GB RAM to further reduce budget. But all that's only if indeed budget is an issue (and you indeed do not plan to install 100 games at the end ), otherwise of course just go all in!

I would be really interested to hear what pieces the reputable "sim racing" builder" suggested you to use, in order to come up with this $1300 price tag...

It was an i5 8600k delidded and OCd, B450Mobo, 500gb SSD(not sure if sata or m.2) 16gb ram. I think a 750 or 850w power supply, case (unsure brand) Liquid cooled. I think he gets $75 -$100 for labor and I think shipping was around $50. They are probably higher end parts and not the cheapest avail. The same build with a Ryzen 5 2600x was about $200 less. I dont want to post his name here as I am not speaking bad about him but that was his quote. Hes all over some sim forums, iracing and FB pages. I can PM you the quote if you want to see it.

I have tried to piece it out myself like I said. Dropping down to a 240gb ssd and less ram definetely drops the price, but mybe $100 total. Im still around that $800 price range i cant get it any lower from what I have seen.
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    No need to, I wasn't suggesting the price itself was bloated, just that the pieces probably were overkill for you that were looking for a not very expensive machine to run a couple games only for a few hours per week. But if it is possible than later you will look into gaming more seriously () and budget is not really an issue, then yeah better go all in now, so you will not need to upgrade in a couple years again..

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    No need to, I wasn't suggesting the price itself was bloated, just that the pieces probably were overkill for you that were looking for a not very expensive machine to run a couple games only for a few hours per week. But if it is possible than later you will look into gaming more seriously () and budget is not really an issue, then yeah better go all in now, so you will not need to upgrade in a couple years again..
    I actually mentioned thebpieces being overkill for my needs and that is what he suggested. I asked for a cheaper setup to do it but I am still waiting for a response.

Budget is really not an issue. The issue is convincing myself how to justify a more expensive PC to play 2 games casually lol That is why I have been trying to go the cheaper route. But I also do not want to go too cheap to the point I will have issues or alot of sacrifices in performance.
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Just wanted to update you guys. I got the NewEgg computer in and installed my 1080ti into it. VR is amazing. The graphics arent that great but the immersion makes up for it. I have a few hours logged so far in PC2 and just started iRacing last night and am very happy with the results. I have been getting a solid 90fps in both games. I am using SS @ 1.5 in pCars2 and it seems to be working very well so far.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: cpcdem, DaWorstPlaya, Mad Al, roddypoddy

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I just recently got a cheap ( Lenovo ) 'VR' setup... I haven't had too much time to use it yet, but will say that the experience is rather interesting... I do have mixed results so far though... In Raceroom, I can run for a long time, while using headphones, but without them , I get nauseous in only a lap or two... I have even less time in Project Cars with VR, but so far, even with headphones, I was getting ill. I'm not sure what the differences is..

It really has been shocking how different the driving experience is with VR. I won't say it's 'immersion' that impresses me the most though... well I guess it sort of is immersion, but I'm just amazed at how much stuff just makes sense. My mind just instantly seems to understand how the FFB is connected to how I get through the corners ( the driving line I take, my braking points, etc...) ... it all just starts to seem intuitive, rather than abstract.
    Playstation 4 and PC , Playseat Challenge, Logitech G29 has been retired... now run Fanatec Elite + Playstation, v3 pedals, and McLaren GT3 wheel

Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    I just recently got a cheap ( Lenovo ) 'VR' setup... I haven't had too much time to use it yet, but will say that the experience is rather interesting... I do have mixed results so far though... In Raceroom, I can run for a long time, while using headphones, but without them , I get nauseous in only a lap or two... I have even less time in Project Cars with VR, but so far, even with headphones, I was getting ill. I'm not sure what the differences is..

It really has been shocking how different the driving experience is with VR. I won't say it's 'immersion' that impresses me the most though... well I guess it sort of is immersion, but I'm just amazed at how much stuff just makes sense. My mind just instantly seems to understand how the FFB is connected to how I get through the corners ( the driving line I take, my braking points, etc...) ... it all just starts to seem intuitive, rather than abstract.
    Try adjusting the world movement setting....

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - Gigabyte GM-M6880X Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post

Also try to make sure you're getting 90FPS. People that are sensitive to motion sickness will start feeling the effects if the FPS drops below 90. Some people have a stronger stomach than others and don't feel it when ASW kicks in.

Does a GTX 1060 work with VR in PCars2? The answer to the original question is a resounding NO! Haha

If weather effects kick in; the GTX1060 just doesn't have the Umph to process all that without stuttering. The minimum card I would recommend for PCars2 is a GTX1070 at the lowest settings. To get consistent 90fps I think a GTX 1080 is necessary.
    Glad the OP decided to keep his 1080Ti.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 2700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
    Glad the OP decided to keep his 1080Ti.
    Yea, I am glad I did. On Pcars2 with SS pushed up to like 1.5 and everything High/Ultra I was dropping to 45fps at night etc. So I am glad I kept it. I spent more than I wanted to but overall enjoying it. Next I need to debate if I am going to OC this 8700k

Platform
    PC
    IMHO, don't bother OCing the 8700k, it is not the bottleneck and won't gain you anything. When using Project Cars 2 and VR the system doesn't use more than 5 cores so the remaining cores sit there doing nothing. It's also why 4 core CPUs can't handle PCars2 AND VR.

The videocard is still the bottleneck, it's why I'm enviously looking at a RTX2080Ti Ha!
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 2700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake