Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Box, new game console by SMS

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Mad Box, new game console by SMS

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-.../1100-6464117/

"Slightly Mad Studios CEO Ian Bell has revealed the company is developing a standalone console. Exact hardware and software specs haven't been announced yet, but Bell has provided a few details.

The first mention of the console came via Twitter, when Bell tweeted, "The Mad Box is coming." Bell told Variety that the Mad Box will probably release in about three years and support up to 120 frames-per-second for virtual reality play. "It will support most major VR headsets and those upcoming and the specs will be equivalent to a very fast PC two years from now," Bell wrote. "We're in early talks with manufacturers of components so we can't say much more right now other than we have the designs specced out in detail."

When it comes to games on the console, Bell wrote, "We think exclusives are 'exclusionary' but given that we'll be shipping a cross platform engine to all developers it will be their choice. As of now we have no plans to pay developers 'incentives' to exclude other hardware vendors." He further explained that Slightly Mad Studios thinks "the industry is a little too much of a monopoly or a micro oligopoly," and The Mad Box aims to bring some healthy competition to the console race, which for years has pretty much exclusively been a three-way battle between Microsoft's Xbox, Sony's PlayStation, and Nintendo's hardware.

Bell added that early design builds for the Mad Box will be revealed in about four to six weeks. The Mad Box is planned to release worldwide and be competitively priced in comparison to other upcoming consoles. "We have multiple investors already offering the required funding for us to see the product to completion, but it's still early days and we're looking at the best offers right now," Bell wrote."
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Konan, Sankyo, wyldanimal

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    That article leaves a lot of Twitter details out. Like the important detail of PC peripherals being compatible with it... Rift, Vive, Logitech, Fanatec Thrustmaster but also fightsticks and that jazz.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Platform
    PC
    Well if it's one thing my Xbox one x is missing, it's the peripherals. But honestly the Xbox can already deliver 4k pretty consistently and it's less than $500 so I'm not sure where this console will fit in. Maybe if they make it modular so you can upgrade it over time it could make a mark. Other than that I have a hard time seeing any real success. But I wish SMS the best of luck in trying
    PC: i5-4690, 12GB RAM, ZOTAC 1070 Amp edition, 24" triple monitor/HTC VIVE for VR, Logitech G27, Logitech G430 7.1 surround headphones

Platform
    PC
    First images of new MadBox console just released!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chewbacca-lunch-box.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	263281
    i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    GreaT! iHAVE TO CHECK IT OUT.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I will create my own console ....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	263283
    The following 10 users likes this Post: bporion, davidt33, John Hargreaves, Keena, Konan, Mowzer, Olijke Poffer, PostBox981, Stewy32, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    Another "cunning plan" from Ian? Boy, I'm all ears! If this works out... Dude then we're in for a treat.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted SOLD / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Ian Bell, Konan, Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    Another "cunning plan" from Ian? Boy, I'm all ears! If this works out... Dude then we're in for a treat.
    I am reading a lot of scepticism about this plan though. A lot of similar comments like it failing like the Steam Machine did and so on.
    I can't say I blame them as game console development costs a lot of pretty pennies after all, and after that in order to get it successfully off of the ground you need a lot of interesting and beautiful games of all genres for your device on launch day in order to make it appealing as a new console on the market.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

Platform
    PC
    I'm just trying to be optimistic. If it fails though, it might fail big enough to put SMS out of business cost Ian a good load of money.
    But given the rough outlines of the plan, I think it might actually have a chance to make it.
    And regarding the steam machine... Let's be true. The whole concept was shit, with it being some sort of 'bridge' between PC and console. And then the configurable hardware. This is exactly not what console players want. Also steam OS wasn't ready. So it was all DOA.
    Last edited by Invincible; 03-01-2019 at 14:47.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted SOLD / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    I'm just trying to be optimistic. If it fails though, it might fail big enough to put SMS out of business cost Ian a good load of money.
    But given the rough outlines of the plan, I think it might actually have a chance to make it.
    And regarding the steam machine... Let's be true. The whole concept was shit, with it being some sort of 'bridge' between PC and console. And then the configurable hardware. This is exactly not what console players want. Also steam OS wasn't ready. So it was all DOA.
    I am also looking forward to it but I rather want to stay realistic and say I still know too little of the project to form any good opinion of it in regards to if it will be a succes or not.

I do hope that even if Ian fails that he has at least woke up the other parties already on the market. Although I do hope it will be a succes and it will have some unique features that we have yet to see in other consoles.

On the other hand I would mind seeing the return of card ridges, but I'd rather see some 3D holographic storage.
    At least for consoles I prefer physical copies of games, as online services will always get shut down over time causing online only consoles to be useless afterwards.