Thread: need UDP app issues help

Platform
    XBOX1

need UDP app issues help

After getting a new laptop im have trouble keeping apps working thurout races. Apps like crewchef and VR hive connects and works just fine at the beginning of gameplay but stops working after 5 or 10 laps or so. Sometimes they might start back working for a couple of laps later in the race but eventually just stop completely and never connect agian. I am using the same laptop sleep settings and so on I have allways used when using these apps. Any help or suggestions or trouble shooting tips would be appreciated.

Platform
    PC
    If the same issue happens with all UDP apps, then it's a networking issue (i.e. with your home router). Have you tried slowing down the rate for the UDP packets?
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I am having the same issue. Is it poesible to fully open the port that udp are using, could that help?

Platform
    PC
    Ports are either open or closed. There is no such thing as "fully open" in the network realm (i.e. information is either passed or not passed). If you have management control over your router, you can see if it has options for flood protection. If so, you can see if you can whitelist the device running PC2 from the flood protection (i.e. have the flood protection ignore the device to see if that is the issue).

However, depending on how many home devices you have (today, many homes have IoT devices on the network) it may just be overwhelming the router.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: kevin kirk

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    If the same issue happens with all UDP apps, then it's a networking issue (i.e. with your home router). Have you tried slowing down the rate for the UDP packets?
    I have tried 1 2 3 5 and 10. I will test them again later today. My internet is on the slower side but its the same router I have allways used. I do have slower internet but using the same router that I allways have. What number do you suggest for slower internet? They connect and works for a period and then stops in the same race. Sometimes they work all thur practice but stops working when leaving practice and entering the race.

Platform
    PC
    Your internet bandwidth will not matter with UDP. UDP only travels on your local network, it will never go to the ISP so your bandwidth will not matter. Now, you will read that people have upgraded their ISP and their UDP problems went way. That's because with the new ISP, came a new router.

Most home routers aren't really designed to handle broadcast traffic, and some are designed to block it. Typically, broadcast traffic is viewed as not great for LAN's so some home routers see it as floods. I don't know what ISP, you have, but you are able to replace the router with something beefier, that would likely take care of the problem. However, it can be an expensive fix for something like this...

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: kevin kirk

Platform
    XBOX1
    Your internet bandwidth will not matter with UDP. UDP only travels on your local network, it will never go to the ISP so your bandwidth will not matter. Now, you will read that people have upgraded their ISP and their UDP problems went way. That's because with the new ISP, came a new router.

Most home routers aren't really designed to handle broadcast traffic, and some are designed to block it. Typically, broadcast traffic is viewed as not great for LAN's so some home routers see it as floods. I don't know what ISP, you have, but you are able to replace the router with something beefier, that would likely take care of the problem. However, it can be an expensive fix for something like this...
    thanks I will look into that. One more question if I may, When using crewchef and vrhive and other apps when playing pcars 2 does it make a difference if I have the in game option set to pcars one or pcars 2 udp setting?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin kirk View Post
    thanks I will look into that. One more question if I may, When using crewchef and vrhive and other apps when playing pcars 2 does it make a difference if I have the in game option set to pcars one or pcars 2 udp setting?
    That's dependent on what the apps support. It's possible that additional data offered in PC2 mode compared to PC1 could cause more headaches for your router. However, at that level (network packet level), the differences should be minor but you never know until you test.

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    XBOX1
    That's dependent on what the apps support. It's possible that additional data offered in PC2 mode compared to PC1 could cause more headaches for your router. However, at that level (network packet level), the differences should be minor but you never know until you test.
    Thank you for your time. I ment to point out I was using only one app at a time. Something else I should mention is when restarting the race no apps while connect again for the restart. I cant get apps to connect at all on the pcars 2 setting. As I mentioned this is a new laptop and it came with a trial anti virus protection that is controlling my firewall at the moment so perhaps its causing issues.