Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is this really realism?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by RomKnight View Post
    regarding the setups in pc2, i have to say, if I run in monitors... i have to adjust too much. if I run in VR, the default is almost always more than enough and im faster with it too.

A "simple" thing like fov can alter the way you perceive things and make you adjust accordingly. apart from aliens that can run laps in rocket league cars , in my experience, perceiving the visual (what's on the screen) in the wrong way is a bad thing wrt lap times, hence why I defend VR. Much more natural and "easy" (for me) to drive, mostly because i see nothing else but the track (no walls, cats, bezels, wife... AHEM... >>:> )
    I'd pay attention to this as well. Its right up there with important stuff to get right. A lot of people like a massive sensation of speed so set the fov completely wrong. Others will guide you on the correct way to set it but neglect it at your peril..

Also watch this youtube video.
    https://youtu.be/imEE3cGA9Oo
    The following user likes this Post: RomKnight

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, I've been using a realistic FOV for more that a year, and now I get literally dizzy when I watch videos of people racing with a wide FOV. I think it makes a big difference...
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by G4ndY View Post

I have now bought PC2 and i am really struggling with this game, i cant complete a single lap without spinning out if i even touch the throttle in or after a corner.

Thx
    This may be too obvious, but do you calibrate your pedals and wheel regularly? For an unknown reason I have to re-calibrate on random days as it seems my controls go weird without any warnings (using a G27).

Platform
    PC
    We need to take the guys who are saying the default set ups are "wack" with a grain of salt. These are most likely the guys in the online races you come up on and they brake 50m too late, slide past the apex, try to gather it up and do it again in the next corner,and the next corner etc. etc...... and then when you pass on corner exit you get a surprise in the rear end at the next corner, guess who...... MR default settings are wack pile drives you as he misses yet another braking point.

If you are a "decent" driver default set ups are fine. To really fine tune you need to take some time and do a methodical test session. I do 3 timed lap runs, make a change, 3 lap run,evaluate, repeat. Ive had set ups that felt more "drivable" but were for sure slower, I've loaded set ups from the lap record car and couldn't put a lap together with it.

while it may come down to driving style, you still have to follow a basic theory to be a faster driver, slow in, fast out, to a point of course.
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by supremedk View Post
    We need to take the guys who are saying the default set ups are "wack" with a grain of salt. These are most likely the guys in the online races you come up on and they brake 50m too late, slide past the apex, try to gather it up and do it again in the next corner,and the next corner etc. etc...... and then when you pass on corner exit you get a surprise in the rear end at the next corner, guess who...... MR default settings are wack pile drives you as he misses yet another braking point.

If you are a "decent" driver default set ups are fine. To really fine tune you need to take some time and do a methodical test session. I do 3 timed lap runs, make a change, 3 lap run,evaluate, repeat. Ive had set ups that felt more "drivable" but were for sure slower, I've loaded set ups from the lap record car and couldn't put a lap together with it.

while it may come down to driving style, you still have to follow a basic theory to be a faster driver, slow in, fast out, to a point of course.
    Definitely. I dipped my toe in the online circus about 6 months ago. Did something like 15 races, 12 podiums, lots of wins and 1 DNF. I was never the fastest guy out there but my setups meant that I was consistent, and could recover the occasional mistake. Then I got sick of exactly what you describe and went back to single player racing because I honestly found that the AI were more professional, predictable and fun to race against. I know there's lots of excellent leagues out there but my work schedule means I cant commit to regular races but when it comes to commentary on setups, Ive never gotten too excited. Fascinated maybe, quite nerdy often, but never a missionary about them.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: supremedk, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    Definitely. I dipped my toe in the online circus about 6 months ago. Did something like 15 races, 12 podiums, lots of wins and 1 DNF. I was never the fastest guy out there but my setups meant that I was consistent, and could recover the occasional mistake. Then I got sick of exactly what you describe and went back to single player racing because I honestly found that the AI were more professional, predictable and fun to race against. I know there's lots of excellent leagues out there but my work schedule means I cant commit to regular races but when it comes to commentary on setups, Ive never gotten too excited. Fascinated maybe, quite nerdy often, but never a missionary about them.
    Add me on steam, kosnoskid, id rather race a clean race with one person than 20 madmen!!

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by G4ndY View Post
    ... i cant complete a single lap without spinning out if i even touch the throttle in or after a corner..
    Change Car setup from Loose to Stable.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I'll be honest and say the ancient wheel you have is not helping your control. The DF GT is 12 or 13 years old and is based on a Playstation 2 wheel from 2003 (Driving Force Pro). The older wheels are soooo slow in comparison to modern wheels and they really hold you back in modern sims which expect a far faster wheel when it comes to delivering useful force feedback to the player.
    PS4 Pro - T300 Alcantara - T3PA - TH8A - Wheel Stand Pro