Thread: Feedback on Road Car tires (probably a bit late)

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC

Feedback on Road Car tires (probably a bit late)

A couple of weeks ago I attended a "Hillclimb" (It was a short q shaped private track which is as wide as a normal road built on a hil, each competitor does single runs). I competed in my road car and although I'm not on Pirelli rubber think I have some feedback which may be valuable for PCars 3 about the road car tires if anyone for SMS is still browsing the forum (I WMD3 opens up I'll also comment there)

In the lead up to and after the event I have been spending more time in sims (Pcars, AC, Iracing) than I have for a while now. After driving a combination of cars to try get the different handling characteristics of my own car I found the road cars to feel a little too sticky. At the hillclimb through the corners my car felt more like to Cayman Gt4 MR through the COTA esses rather than the various slower end road cars I tried in Pcars 2. The window for the initial bite in the road cars I think is a little too big/too aggressive.

It reminds me of a diagram on driver61 where he talks about grip. There is a point where you feel the car sliding but you still have full contol.

/over the limit\
    ------------------------------
    On the limit "sliding but control"
    -----------------------------
    / \
    / Full grip no sliding \

The car isn't overly rotating or out of control, (from my dashcam footage you can't tell the car is sliding), but my butt feels that the tire is on the edge. For the road tires i think this band needs to start a little "lower" or be a little wider. I think this would also help for those who are having trouble drifting.
    Last edited by davekojo; 12-02-2019 at 03:38.

Platform
    PS4
    Have you tried the "medium" or "hard" compound tires on the road cars, in the game?
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Have you tried the "medium" or "hard" compound tires on the road cars, in the game?
    I completely forgot road cars that aren't the 86 had more than one dry compound. The medium on the Megane (default) is too sticky I'll have to try the hard. The A45 (I think also has medium as default) was a also too sticky/aggressive where initial bite is triggered so I'll have to try the hard on that too.

Its been a while since I was deep in sim land. I'll have to test over the weekend and report back.

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    It might be an obvious thing but are you testing the road cars in-game with the OEM setup? That will load them up with something far closer to an OEM tyre, rather than the default road-legal slick that most will use on the loose or stable setups.
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz //
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cluck View Post
    It might be an obvious thing but are you testing the road cars in-game with the OEM setup? That will load them up with something far closer to an OEM tyre, rather than the default road-legal slick that most will use on the loose or stable setups.
    Yeah using OEM setups. The Megane rs use the P Zero Corsa (mediums) which I think is a stickier/slicker tire than the actual OEM tire. I think the P Zero (hard) for that car and the others I've tried would be closest to the OEM tire.

Once I get a chance to try the hards I'll give an update.
    Last edited by davekojo; 13-02-2019 at 18:40.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I find the P Zero hards much closer (in feel anyway) to actual road tires. I can slide around a RWD car on the hards, but the meds/softs feel like a light switch to me. More like slicks; all grip, then nothing. My reference point being an E92 M3 on the factory-spec MPS tires. Full disclaimer: I've never driven a car on actual slicks.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE – Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I think the reason we got such sticky road tire options is because people complain constantly about a lack of grip in the road cars, and that they can't match Driver X's lap time at Circuit Y, even though they're obviously Aryton Senna reincarnated. So SMS gives them these ringer-tires as a way to make up for it.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE – Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Had a chance to test it out. For some reason the hot hatches and Lancers have medium tires on the OEM setup. After changing to the hard tires I got something closer to what I was expecting.

Thanks for the advice guys
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bradleyland, hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    I think the reason we got such sticky road tire options is because people complain constantly about a lack of grip in the road cars,...
    Or Pirelli displaying their wares in the digital world
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland