Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got CARS2 on OG Xbox One - Disappointed beyond belief

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Just got CARS2 on OG Xbox One - Disappointed beyond belief

First off, let me highlight some positives and commend the devs on their hard work:

The physics in this game are ridiculously brilliant. Coming from the likes of Dirt Rally and Forza, I was pleased to see the level of detail and nuance in the physics - not to mention the tuning options - I could just play around with tuning setups for hours without a care in the world, seriously!

The car audio - while not as loud and ferocious as CARS1, there certainly are improvements. The tone and character of the respective cars have been captured well - I mean, they actually sound like they're real life counterparts - with the disappointment that FM7 and FM4 have been in terms of sound, CARS2 is a welcome change. Could be better and more high quality with a higher dynamic range and loudness, but I get it.. it has to run on consoles without breaking them! Again, great job on the car audio.

Excellent control on the pad - all it took me was about 20 mins of experimenting and I was driving like a pro on max difficulty/no assists.

Now - what's happening with the graphics in this game? Could you guys really not optimise it properly for OG Xbox users? I hear rave reviews from my One-X, PS4P and PC brethren but why does the OG Xbox version look downright ugly at times? Jaggies and pixelisation on a number of tracks (LB and Monza in particular), low-res shadows, reflections on the car that are animated at what.. 10fps?!

This is the only reason that's breaking the experience for me - with just 12 cars on the grid and spread pretty far out from each other - even 2-3 cars introduces screen tearing and hiccups. Heck, I've noticed many times how i'm the only one crossing the starting grid or exiting the pits, and there's screen tearing.

I wish I could give PCARS2 a chance and that the developers would have done a better job this time around of optimising it on EVERY system properly - but alas, I've parted ways and already applied for a refund. And here I was so excited to get the game that almost ended up purchasing the DE.

The game is solely for One-X and PC users - it should mention that on the cover. on the OG Xbox, graphically the game does not at all do justice to the MS Store trailer where it says "actual ingame footage" and screen shots that look downright stunning. False advertising.

CARS2 can look and move terribly at times - the Xbox One has reasonable power - enough to hold a game like CARS2 at 60 fps - with or without other cars - with/without weather effects. Poor optimisation. Wish I had a One-X or a beefy PC but I shouldn't have to buy a more powerful toy just to experience this game in all its glory.

Frame hiccups and screen tearing are absolutely unacceptable in 2019.

I know you mean well SMS, but sorry - the game is not playable on OG Xbox.
    The following user likes this Post: Paul-GTI

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Personally, I found the game more than playable on OG Xbox One. I extremely rarely have any issues whatsoever graphically, and find them at a quality which makes for a good gameplay experience.

Microsoft don't allow sales only on Xbox One X, so that could never appear on the game cover.

The console testing was not done by SMS and WMD, hence it wasn't as thorough.

It isn't False Advertising when the in-game footage is from the game itself, it is just on a more powerful console.

The problems are not the fault of SMS, it is the fault that the OG XB1 isn't powerful enough to run the game perfectly.

I can't remember frame hiccups and screen tearing happening any more than in other games I play(both racing and otherwise).

Do you have any screenshots/videos to show how poor the quality is?
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Mowzer, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Sorry, I didn't take the trouble of taking screen shots. While games like Forza and others I have in my collection, including DR 1 and PCARS 1 look quite good, PCARS2 just doesn't. The jaggies and low res shadows are really bad on some tracks.

The team could have at least tried to optimise it a little bit more on OG XBOX ONE.

The visuals ruined it for me, so I won't be holding on to it. Perhaps if I ever have the motivation or desire to pick up a One-X, I might buy the game. Because everything else about it is near-perfect - the simulation and all.

I'm getting hiccups in even private testing - that's not on at all.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    In case you missed it:

The problems are not the fault of SMS, it is the fault that the OG XB1 isn't powerful enough to run the game perfectly.
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!
    The following 5 users likes this Post: EmilGlockner, Mowzer, nissan4ever, Stewy32, Zaskarspants

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Xs have been dropping in price quite frequently. I usually see them going for around $300-350 with a new game bundled with it. If you have the funds, I would highly suggest upgrading to an X. Trade deals sometimes popup for OGs towards Xs. I Got my X for $220 with 3 new games(RDR2, Fallout76, State of Decay) when trading in my S. It will not just enhance the experience of PC2, but it will enhance the experience in ALL of your games current and in the future.
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Mowzer, nissan4ever, r_outsider

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks Juiced - yeah, I get that. But I'm from SE Asia - ain't any deals going around here at the moment. The One-X in my region is available for no less than $500 at the moment, if you do the currency conversion. And that too with no games and a single controller, 1TB version.

I love so many things about PCARS2 - I just wish it was graphically better optimised for OG Xbox like PCARS1 is.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I love so many things about PCARS2 - I just wish it was graphically better optimised for OG Xbox like PCARS1 is.
    That's just it though, you really can't compare the both...
    PCARS2 takes up way more power because of the many added features.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: nissan4ever, Stewy32

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    That's just it though, you really can't compare the both...
    PCARS2 takes up way more power because of the many added features.
    That is correct
    Project CARS 2 - Gold Member
    Xbox One X/Seagate USB 3.0 4TB/Netgear Nighthawk xr700 Gaming Router/Thrustmaster TX/TM Leather 28 GT Rim/Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2/T3PA Pedals/Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 + Superamp Pro/LG 43UH6500 4K UHD HDR Game Mode
    The following user likes this Post: Stewy32

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It is a brilliant sim no doubt - such a refreshing change from FM7 too. Lack of full optimisation for base xbox one is a shame though. Literally only complaint at the moment.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    It is fully optimised for the OG Xbox... That's basically what the problem is.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: DECATUR PLAYA, Stewy32