Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got CARS2 on OG Xbox One - Disappointed beyond belief

Platform
    PC
    Just don't put a Rolls Royce Engine in a Trabant. It just is not gonna work.
    Steam: Bull Shark CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:Triple IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 7680x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5, CSL Elite pedals & loadcell brake| Misc: Oculus Rift , Simlab GT1 EVO Rig , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    LOL - right!

Well, no use whining now - I have the game. Making the most of it as best as I can.
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Xs on sale for $330 and discless Xs coming out in May. Just sayin

Sorry Speedy, just read your old reply to me about your locatio. That stinks
    Epson 4K Projector/100" Elite Screen/Xbox One X/Fanatec V2.5/CSL Elite Pedals w/LC/Trak-Racer RS8 Rig/
    *****For Sale Thrustmaster TX458 Italia wheel w/Pedals cheap. PM me for info*****
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    PC
    I hate the abuse of the word "optimization" commonly used in gaming these days.

Looks that there is a magic option in the compiler that somebody forgot to check, that would make the software works much better, even in unpowered hardware.

Optimization don't make miracles. You can't make work a hi-end physics and superb graphics on an obsolete hardware in the same way you can't put an elephant inside of a mini. You can ask to the designers of the mini to optimice the space, but it would be impossible. At the end you have to renounce to the elephant or the mini.

So the only option, is reducing the complexity of the calcs and graphics quality to the minimun acceptable to play. That makes that in XBO the game is on the limit, and in XBX it works fine. The programmers didn't make more efforts to optimize the XBX versión, the difference is that XBX or PS4Pro hardware is more powerful and can do the work more confortably.

You can ask to reduce the graphics or the physics to have similar performance to XBX, but you can't have the same features & performance in a different hardware. If XBO & XBX would work in the sameway, then the XBX would be underperformed, and that would not like to the XBX users, that want to take advantage of their more powerful hardware.
    Last edited by Asturbo; 06-03-2019 at 16:56.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia RTX2080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW WQHD | Wheel: Fanatec CSW 2.5 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator /// Open Weather App /// DS Config Samples /// Google Standings /// PC3 wish list
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Juiced46, Konan, nissan4ever, Tank621, Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
    Xs on sale for $330 and discless Xs coming out in May. Just sayin

Sorry Speedy, just read your old reply to me about your locatio. That stinks
    Hahah... yeah, I suppose it does stink a little! But I got no complaints with any game or my X-One at the moment. It's more than enough for me as a gaming console. I just think the team could have done a better job with optimisation and buying a One-X is just unnecessary. Compared to PCs, consoles are much better designed and programmed to run games optimally.

Quote Originally Posted by Asturbo View Post
    I hate the abuse of the word "optimization" commonly used in gaming these days.

Looks that there is a magic option in the compiler that somebody forgot to check, that would make the software works much better, even in unpowered hardware.

Optimization don't make miracles. You can't make work a hi-end physics and superb graphics on an obsolete hardware in the same way you can't put an elephant inside of a mini. You can ask to the designers of the mini to optimice the space, but it would be impossible. At the end you have to renounce to the elephant or the mini.

So the only option, is reducing the complexity of the calcs and graphics quality to the minimun acceptable to play. That makes that in XBO the game is on the limit, and in XBX it works fine. The programmers didn't make more efforts to optimize the XBX versión, the difference is that XBX or PS4Pro hardware is more powerful and can do the work more confortably.

You can ask to reduce the graphics or the physics to have similar performance to XBX, but you can't have the same features & performance in a different hardware. If XBO & XBX would work in the sameway, then the XBX would be underperformed, and that would not like to the XBX users, that want to take advantage of their more powerful hardware.
    Ok, you got my attention now - how exactly do I reduce graphics and physics calculations to make the game run consistently? I already have all effects set to off with lens flare set to minimum. Where's this physics setting? All assists are off - are you saying turn them on to experience smoother gameplay?

The standard One-X is a fairly powerful console for everyday gaming and certainly hasn't reached it's end lifecycle even though One-X and PC owners would argue otherwise.

have you played other games on the OG Xbox? They run just fine at 60 and 30 fps... steady as a bow and arrow in the hands of an expert marksman.

So I do believe more time could have been spent optimising the game - they did it in CARS1 they can do it again. Dare I say it - laziness? What if the One-X or PS4P weren't around? You can bet they would have put their arses into it 100% to optimise the game.
    Last edited by Speedy Mcboo; 07-03-2019 at 08:57.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Dibernium, Trippul G

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    When is the zx81 version coming out? Just stop being lazy SMS and add more optimiser magic.
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com
    The following user likes this Post: Asturbo

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Dare I say it - laziness?
    I strongly encourage you not to...
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Mcboo View Post
    Ok, you got my attention now - how exactly do I reduce graphics and physics calculations to make the game run consistently? I already have all effects set to off with lens flare set to minimum. Where's this physics setting? All assists are off - are you saying turn them on to experience smoother gameplay?
    No, you can't change physics settings. It's a compromise developers have made to run in all platforms in reasonable conditions.

The standard One-X is a fairly powerful console for everyday gaming and certainly hasn't reached it's end lifecycle even though One-X and PC owners would argue otherwise.
    Why MS & Sony launched revision of their consoles? Why are announcing next gen? Why they didn't "optimize" if that solves everything? Probably they don't think as you, and they know their hardware limitations doesn't allow doing what programmers need for actual games and coding can't solve hardware limitations.

have you played other games on the OG Xbox? They run just fine at 60 and 30 fps... steady as a bow and arrow in the hands of an expert marksman.
    Games that uses complex physics? Do you know that each parameter in PC2 is recalculated 600 times per second? IE a shooter the calcs running in background are ridiculous comparing with a sim. SMS could make an scripted game without realistics physics saving most CPU usage. That would work flawless, but that's not that people want in a sim.

So I do believe more time could have been spent optimising the game - they did it in CARS1 they can do it again. Dare I say it - laziness? What if the One-X or PS4P weren't around? You can bet they would have put their arses into it 100% to optimise the game.
    If XBX and PS4P doesn't exist, they probably would made a harder downgrade (different to optimization) removing many features as happens in other tittles.

In PC2 we have a much more complex physics. The tyre model is most advanced in the gender (I'm not saying it's perfect) and the live track also takes many resources. You didn't have all these things in PC1 and that's why works better, not by "optimization" or "laziness". I'm really surprised they could make all these features work in consoles, and they have my recognition.

Otherwise, I could agree with you with many things that SMS did wrong (would be a long list), but optimizations isn't one of them.
    Last edited by Asturbo; 07-03-2019 at 12:10.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia RTX2080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW WQHD | Wheel: Fanatec CSW 2.5 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator /// Open Weather App /// DS Config Samples /// Google Standings /// PC3 wish list
    The following 4 users likes this Post: cluck, Konan, nissan4ever, Zaskarspants

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Dare I say it - laziness? What if the One-X or PS4P weren't around? You can bet they would have put their arses into it 100% to optimise the game.
    While I won't got as far to say they are lazy, but I am disappointed with this game on the Xbox One S for a number of reasons that are also present on the PS4 version of the game from reading various posts on this forum. The one glaring issue I have is the AI "bug" where a certain number of AI on track for the Xbox One results in physics going out the window, as a paying customer, $60 I feel I'm entitled to present my opinion of a product that I purchased.

At times the game is marvelous and really enjoyable, other times it is just a broken mess on the Xbox One S and really struggles. I understand the Xbox One/S is the least powerful of the consoles, but I would think certain requirements could be put in place where the game would actually run on those two systems. Even the career mode is affected as some of those races exceed the AI number that breaks physics.

I know a lot of people blame it on the Xbox One/S, but it is a fixed hardware specification, IMO it would have been better to not release the game if it wasn't finished/working as designed and there was not enough development time/manpower to adjust it to run on this level of system power.

All that being said, there are times when this game is truly a fun racing game, unfortunately for me and others with the base Xbox/S they are much fewer and farther between.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: The_Senser, Trippul G

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    In all honesty Dibernium, I do believe room can be made to dedicate a team toward optimising the game for original Xbox One and One-S owners. It's quite possible that they have limited resources and those resources were probably best spent focusing on PS4 Pro/ One-X and PC versions.

And like you said, it can very enjoyable at times when there is no stuttering or screen tearing - as a hot lap simulator, its fantastic. I love the attention to detail in audio, visuals and especially physics.

But then you start see the screen tearing and frames stuttering even though you're just hotlapping, and it irks me you know? Ghost Recon has the same issue. Sorry for the off-topic there!