Thread: VR Hud Issues - any other workarounds?

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

VR Hud Issues - any other workarounds?

Hey guys -- I know there is seemingly a design flaw in adjusting your VR HUD where you must have an equal resolution in your monitor to your rift in order to be able to fully adjust your HUD. I have seen a few different options for getting past this, but thus far none have worked.

Here's the setup and attempts:
    GTX 1070
    Rift
    Monitor Rez MAX: 1680 x 1050
    ------------------------------
    I have tried to blindly move frames, but of course that only works if you can get to them w/ the mouse, which I cannot get to the lower right ones. So as a bad workaround I shifted the entire HUD to the left and adjusted things around that as best as I can. This is not a good HUD at all, but it is better than nothing.

I tried adjusting screen resolution. Cannot go past 1680 x 1050.

I tried forcing a bigger resolution using the NVIDIA control panel, via managing 3D settings and boosting the resolution via the game experience. None of the resolutions matched the rift, oddly. I tried all of the factors but never saw 2160 x 1200. Further, I could only overdrive the NON-VR modes. I could not even "optimize" the VR game version, so I don't know if that would have worked even since it seems the HUD is different in screen mode vs VR mode.

I tried messing with other resolutions, and putting the screen in window mode hoping that would work. No go.

Is there some other trick that I am overlooking? I was hoping there was a way to define the hud layout via a config file, but nothing seemed to hold coordinates for the individual panes. I don't care if they are "correct" just moved in enough so that I can eventually grab them. If I can move them, then I can deal with not having the "full" window available. I can't believe the HUD is so badly designed that you cannot manipulate it as normal, but, it is what it is.

Any suggestions? To bad there isn't a Jack Spade for HUDS lol. (Or maybe there is and I just don't know???!!! Hopefully....) Oh, and thanks to everyone for their posts about manipulating the HUD - I tried everything I could find!

Thanks,
    David

Platform
    PC
    screen resolution setting applies only to the mirror on your pc screen.
    Setting 2160x1200 is only possible if you have a 4k or WQHD Monitor or TV and set pCARS2 to windowed.
    Best done directly in the graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml file in documents\project cars 2
    Every car could be a race car, as long as you have the balls to drive it like that !

System Shuttle SX79 | CPU i7 4930k @ 3.4 GHz | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU RTX2080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1809 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1 | Motion Next Level Motion V3
    Devil's Core Project Cars Team ( german language )

Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/

Hey FANBOYS! I constantly drive Assetto Corsa, ACC, rFactor2, R3E and Project CARS 2. I like them all. Don't tell me THINGS!

Or connect a controller, it works better in combination with the Keypad than a mouse to mess with HUD positions

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Even though this was not what you exactly asked for, here is how I've set up my VR HUD:

The biggest problem with the HUD for me has always been that when I wanted to move the panels out of the view to the bottom of the screen (well, cabin), the HUD editing mode does not let you to put the tall panels at the bottom where they'd clip out of the screen.

I went around this limitation by using the extra VR HUD numpad controls that have worked already on PCARS1:
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...-controls-memo

First, with the regular HUD editing options I aligned all the panels I wanted close to the top of the view (left to right: position panel, times panel, tyre temps and finally speedo/gear on the right, and everything else mostly off).

Then with the additional numpad I zoomed it in a bit, and then moved the whole HUD view down. I kept the default VR HUD angle. This created an additional slightly angled virtual dashboard just below the actual dashboard for me.

After editing the actual panels you may lose the angle and zoom level of the HUD, and to fix that you have to restart the game to get the original (or adjusted) zoom level and angle back, but once you've done that the HUD stays there.
    Intel i7-6900K 3.2@3.7 GHz | Asus X99-A USB3.1 | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia RTX 2080ti | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | SST Lightning H-shifter | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Kind of looping in all replies:

Satco: Yeah, I understand that the resolution is for the window size, but there was a work around that I read where you set the screen size the same and you could then pick up and move any of the HUD frames while in VR mode. Seemed crazy, but apparently it worked. But, not an option for me. I'm not sure what you are referring to editing in the xml though?

Mad Al: I don't follow how using a controller would make any difference? The cursor does not line up with the HUD frames on screen. Would I not still have the same issue of not being able to grab the frames of the few that I cannot get to today to move them? I mean, I cannot click on them today because I cannot get the cursor lined on them anyway...

Mr Tulip: You sir, have seemed to do what I cannot manage, and is EXACTLY what I am trying to do! How did you get the speedo, for example, to move at all? I cannot click on it to drag it from it's current position. IF I could do that, the rest would not be a problem. I have tried everything I can think of to get ahold of it to move, but I cannot even get it to highlight, much less drag it from the bottom right to the top left... I use the keyboard controls to move and adjust the entire panel, I just cannot move the speedo within that panel.

Quote Originally Posted by bassun View Post
    Kind of looping in all replies:
    Mad Al: I don't follow how using a controller would make any difference? The cursor does not line up with the HUD frames on screen. Would I not still have the same issue of not being able to grab the frames of the few that I cannot get to today to move them? I mean, I cannot click on them today because I cannot get the cursor lined on them anyway...
    Simple, the cursor (which is a large round one when using the controller) actually lines up and selects the correct object, unlike the mouse.. so when I've clicked on the widget in the top right, with the cursor over it, that's really what I select. It also allows a few other options for things like zooming the whole HUD in out and other stuff.

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - MS HABU Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - Gigabyte GTX1060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Ok, worth a shot. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!