Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheating tires. General tipps?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Overheating tires. General tipps?

Morning,

Next week we'll have a race at Sugo Sportsland with the GTEs. I always drive the BMW M6 GTLM, but I'm going nuts at this track, because the car starts overheating the HARD tires at the second lap.

Track temp should be around 20C, at TT it is 24C, so I've done TT mostly.

The problem is the last right hander. I'm entering this corner with 94C on my left rear tire, and as soon as I'm on the straight the tire has reached 104C. The straight isnt long enough to cool it done, two right handers are following, which increase the temperature even more.

What have I done so far?

- First I've reduced rear toe to zero, so no toe-implied scrubbing on straights anymore
    - Increased pressure up to 1.95 bar hot, no change in temperatures.
    - Played with different spring and damper settings, from soft to hard, tire still overheats. Though I always keep my dampers within the same critical range. Bump around 55-60% critical, Rebound around 70-75% critical, springs are already a lill rear biased with 240/130.
    - Changed the ARBs from Hard to Soft, nothing.
    - Lowered rear camber by two degrees, nope. Car just gets beasty.
    - Reduced TC to 1%. Well, car is slow as a bus, but the tire still overheats.
    - Changed rear aero. Well, with less aero the car is unstable as hell, with more aero the tire load increases over all, which results in even higher temperatures at the rear.
    - Changed accel locking to 6% (8 clutches, 85 ramp) to reduce slip even more, tire is still overheating.
    - Opened rear brake ducts a lot, rear brake temperature always stays below 300C, not helpful at all. Braking sucks and the tire temps are still way to high.
    - Even tried a wider line entering this corner, which always resulted in spinning out, because the car starts understeering in the middle of the corner, though the setup is rear biased. And if I'm lifting the pedal, I'm losing a huge amount of time.

I'm out of ideas here, but maybe one of you guys has a solution left.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    There are some tracks which are simply hard on the tires, period. I think the only thing you can do to avoid overheating, is to take it easy in that final corner. Attack it of course in qualifying, and if you do more than one quali laps in a row, do a fast lap, then a cool down lap, then another fast lap.

In the race, do not push there, if you want to avoid overheating. But first you need to figure out if overheating is really a problem. So do a test stint of 10 laps or so, can you maintain a steady rhythm, even if tires overheat? Do you get excessive tire wear? If all looks good, then ignore the overheating. If it does cause you trouble, make another 10 laps, taking it easy in the last corner. Compare your overall lap times and tire wear at the end, and decide if it is better fully attacking the last corner or not. I guess drivers in real races need to make similar decisions as well.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I've already done that.

IF I manage to do more than five laps, because usually the car starts spinning pretty fast, I'm just slow. And this will be a race over two hours, so I cant creep around the track.

I'm noticing this throughout the entire seasons. Every other car is able to use soft tires, except on a track like Barcelona, the BMW always needs the hard ones. Even with them you're on the edge of overheating the rears. Usually I dont have any problem at all setting up a car, but this car just kills the tires. Not sure if its a problem with this car in the game, avoiding the b-word.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing4Life View Post
    - Played with different spring and damper settings, from soft to hard, tire still overheats. Though I always keep my dampers within the same critical range. Bump around 55-60% critical, Rebound around 70-75% critical, springs are already a lill rear biased with 240/130.
    Move the balance forward a bit to take some load off the rear tires. This will probably slow you down over a single lap but could save you some time in the long run.
    Last edited by Bealdor; 19-03-2019 at 09:41.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    Hey, I can't get the tires to overheat using Hards. Granted I am not that quick, only 1:21s best but still tire temps not bad and pressures are not adjusted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2019-03-19 07-24-03-66.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	265568

Name:	pCARS2 2019-03-19 07-24-30-60.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	265569
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Hey, I can't get the tires to overheat using Hards. Granted I am not that quick, only 1:21s best but still tire temps not bad and pressures are not adjusted.
    Try Time Trial.

Edit: Default Setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    Move the balance forward a bit to take some load off the rear tires. This will probably slow you down over a single lap but could save you some time in the long run.
    Stefan, with springs or with weight bias?

My bacis setup for this cars usually uses springs a lill harder, 280/140, which leads to -1.15, front biased. But the rears were overheating with those springs too. OK, didnt try shifting the weight of the car to the front or rear. Could be worth a shot.

Platform
    PC
    I just did Custom Race, that's it for me today, arm and legs done. I used Micha's TT setup and shifted the weight forward as Bealdor suggested. Are you running in a League? Nevermind, what League? I just used AI at 100/90 to get an idea of how quick they would run.

Name:	pCARS2 2019-03-19 07-58-06-75.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	265570
    Last edited by blinkngone; 19-03-2019 at 11:28.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.
    The following user likes this Post: Racing4Life

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I used Micha's TT setup
    So you've used my setup. Very odd that your tire arent overheating. Maybe I just need to go a lill slower, but for sure I'll test it with weight transfered to the front.

Are you running in a League?
    Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2vfyPca3PQhgO4

Platform
    PC
    Hey, thanks for the link. It seems like you have most of your competition covered. I checked and it looks like you have won all but 4. You only had 1 bad race. Maybe Sugo will give one of the other guys a chance for a win. Where are you in the overall standings?
    Last edited by blinkngone; 19-03-2019 at 13:31.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Dont remind me of COTA.

Right now I'm still in the lead. But we've canceled the LMP1 after some race, because we didnt have enough racers, so the really fast guys switched to the GTEs. And now my "boring" races are gone.