Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Problem with Playseat Challenge

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

[RESOLVED] Problem with Playseat Challenge

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I have been simming all my life and I just recently went from a controller to a T300RS in combination with a playseat challenge which makes it absolutely more realistic. However I do experience some issues with my playseat and I hope someone is able to advise what to do.

My bodylength is 5FT and 11 INCHES and my bodyweight is 242 LBS. When my playseat is in more upright position I have two major issues:

1) My knees are touching the steerbar in a more upright position.
    2) My elbows and hands are in such position I can not full lock my wheel which on some tracks makes it hard to make sharp turns.

The solution would be to put the seat in a more reclined position, but when I do that I think my weight is too much for the velcro straps to support resulting in me lying on the floor. (Learned it the hard way.. )

Playseat claims that the seat is suitable for length between 120 cm and 220 cm and in terms of weight between 20 kg and 122 kg.

Am I doing something wrong? As I did hurt my knee pretty bad during this experience I dont wan't this to happen again. Maybe I do need some longer velcro straps if these are available to support my weight in more reclined positions.

Thank you for reading my topic and many thanks for your ideas.

Best regards,
    Maurice

Platform
    PC
    So the velcro straps keep the seat attached to the lower part of the frame, right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playseat_-challenge-playstation-9-thrustmaster-t300rs.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	265864
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

Platform
    PC
    I see some exposed frame parts in the picture, perhaps you can add a few additional straps from one side to the other for more support (either with velcro or just tying them to the frame)?
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thank you for your swift replies I am talking about the straps which hold the seat in position. The "arm-rest straps" When the seat is lowered the velcro strap is not long enough to hold the weight which means the seat is collapsing. Very annoying as it doesn't really race comfortable in more upright position resulting in muscle cramp when holding the throttle pedal under pressure all the time.

I have made a picture in paint to point out the issue, but as I am new member I am not allowed to post links or pictures just yet.

Best regards

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Have you tried moving the pedals further away? This would give your knees more room. I have same setup and have not had any problems.
    My wife said I never listen.
    At least I think that's what she said.
    PS Pro. T300 RS, Playseat challenge, LG 49" 4K HDR, PS platinum headset.
    PSVR

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Will try again tonight to find the sweet spot for setting up this seat. Just a little afraid to hit the floor again now. will try to remove the steering wheel first to test the seat itself in a proper way.

Platform
    PC
    Put a thick pillow under the chair while experimenting

Platform
    PC
    If I was you, I'd probably "integrate" the original velcro straps, by wrapping around it, one or two of these.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81F4DbiOPbL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	265895

They cost about 6 euros for a pack of 10 on Amazon.

This way there would be no give at all.

Keep in mind one important thing though.
    In structural integrity, linkages tend to fail starting from the weakest one... in this case the velcro.
    Reinforcing the weakest one, will probably make the next weak one to fail, in this case the steel hooks, or even the middle folding joint, connecting the two "arms".
    I can't decide which one would be the most likely to fail, probably the hooks.

Never underestimate the power of levers.
    "I was playing pCARS on PC before it was mainstream" - cit.

MB: Asus Strix Z270F Gaming
    CPU: i5-7600K @4.63GHz
    RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LED 2666mhz
    GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Gaming A8G
    HD: Corsair MP500 240Gb M.2 PCIe + Crucial MX300 1Tb M.2 SATA
    Audio: Onboard Realtech sound chip + Sennheiser headphones / stereo speakers
    Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 w/ P1 Elite rim + Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3 + Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ + Playseat racing seat
    Monitor: Asus PA 238Q - 23" 1920x1080 P-IPS
    VR: Oculus Rift CV1 + Oculus Touch Controllers
    Case & PSU: NZXT H440 V.2, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate, Corsair RM850i
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro N, nVidia WHQL Drivers 388.31

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Put a thick pillow under the chair while experimenting
    I think the problem is that, if the velcro fails, the chair will fold "open" all the way, and the arch supporting the wheel and the wheel itself, will crush down on the knees with all the weight of the body (which is... quite a lot, in this case), given the kind of leverage the chair has.
    "I was playing pCARS on PC before it was mainstream" - cit.

MB: Asus Strix Z270F Gaming
    CPU: i5-7600K @4.63GHz
    RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LED 2666mhz
    GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Gaming A8G
    HD: Corsair MP500 240Gb M.2 PCIe + Crucial MX300 1Tb M.2 SATA
    Audio: Onboard Realtech sound chip + Sennheiser headphones / stereo speakers
    Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 w/ P1 Elite rim + Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3 + Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ + Playseat racing seat
    Monitor: Asus PA 238Q - 23" 1920x1080 P-IPS
    VR: Oculus Rift CV1 + Oculus Touch Controllers
    Case & PSU: NZXT H440 V.2, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate, Corsair RM850i
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro N, nVidia WHQL Drivers 388.31

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thanks a lot again for your most helpful tips! Will first try to play a little with the throttle to see if I can keep the seat in a more upright position so the velcro-straps will support on my weight. If that won't work I will order some additional straps like Franco Ferrari mentioned.

Would be a big disappointment if they are selling possibility for 220 cm and 120 kg. Or maybe it was me doing something wrong. Next adjustment will be done with the steerbar removed from the seat so the T300RS will not be damaged.

Will update this evening