Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Momentary Hang

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PostBox981 View Post
    I had that happen once on Nurburgring Combined, lasting for a whole race. Next day it was gone.

Do you have that all the time on all tracks and all cars, no matter what?
    When I had that happen, it started about at the end of the Q session and then with the race start it became a little worse. From counting the seconds in my mind, it happened reliably every ten seconds for the rest of the session. So at least we can exclude a momentary bottleneck with some extremely demanding scenery in some place.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    The momentary hanging is definitely not common, at least going by how many people complain about it here. It has been mentioned a few times by different people in the past, also during development, but that usually had to do with track detail and/or non-optimized states of tracks.

What is important information, is whether it always happens on the same spot on a track or not. However, since you're saying that it only starts happening after a while, I'm guessing that something in your system starts bottlenecking, and either your CPU needs to catch up or there is some HDD activity that interferes.

The flickering is a texture thing (assuming that it's reproducible), which may be related to the track detail setting (and would be a bug then).
    The COTA flicker is very reproducible, happens almost every lap.

It's not really "after a while", it's random. Sometimes I think I've fixed it when it takes a few laps to happen, just now I got it before making it out of the pits.

I think I have a probable cause but because my testing method is basically "drive laps without causing a load for a while", testing it is slow. It seems it's my wireless networking card which on a previous windows instance had been causing DPC latency issues. I hadn't noticed it acting up for some time, and thought it was an oddity of that old installation. I had expected such an issue to show up in any game regardless of how stressful they are, because bad DPC latency can cause problems for just regular video playback, but I guess stressing the system makes it more vulnerable to such things? BTW, the old DPC latency checker tool doesn't work properly on anything past, I wanna say, windows 7? You want to use LatencyMon for newer versions.
    Last edited by Phos; 13-04-2019 at 04:12.

Platform
    PC
    Further update: disabling my wifi card and stretching a network cable to my router hasn't fixed the problem. I'm back to square one for the moment. I did conclusively discover that the game does not recognise inputs while its frozen, I tried to gear change during one and didn't get it.

Edit: Of all the... This is supposed to be in the project CARS 2 forum.
    Last edited by Phos; 15-04-2019 at 21:47.

Platform
    PC
    Thread closed, as per opening a duplicate in the correct forum.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think
    The following user likes this Post: Konan