Thread: Freezing after 10-15mins of gameplay

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Freezing after 10-15mins of gameplay

Everything acts normally until I start a race or practice and play (with any car, track, tire, scenario etc.) for around 10-15 minutes. The screen will freeze, but I can hear my car continuing and if I hit escape I can hear the menu. Soon after freezing the screen may go black until I alt-tab. It seems that I can play once or twice before the game crashes my computer when I alt-tab or further applications may hang as well. This is the only game so far that does this to my pc. I did upgrade from a GTX 680 to an RTX 2070 and it seems that the game ran fine with the older card.

3d GPU usage stays around 90-100% but may spike to 100% and then rapidly drops to close to 0% when the crash occurs.

Systems specs:
    i7-4820k
    MSI Armor RTX 2070 8gb
    16gb ram
    512gb ssd (game is installed here)
    2TB Hdd
    875w psu

So far I have tried:
    -uninstalling and reinstalling drivers (reinstalling older version)
    -verifying integrity of game cache
    -disable Nvidia highlights (heard they cause some problems)
    -increasing virtual memory to ssd (maybe I need more?) (I set it for windows to manage automatically)
    -reinstall
    -moved the game to HDD (when moved the game will still freeze but it crashes my computer as windows is stored on this device)
    *I haven't tried deleting the folder as I would like to steer clear of that if possible.*
    -Changing Physx settings to CPU vs GPU
    -Clean install of graphics drivers
    -Slight underclock
    -Revert to Nvidia RTX settings for OC
    -Tried Debug mode

It seems that my GPU temps are fine at 71c, CPU temps at max hit 60C.

Honestly at this point I'm not sure what to try at this point. I'm wondering if it has something to do with voltage or OC (maybe MSI related).

Platform
    PC
    Since the problem started with the new GPU, it could be that your PSU can't give stable current to the GPU. Do you still have your old GPU? If so, see if it still works. Also, try setting vsync on in the driver for the RTX GPU and see if that gives a different result.
    CPU Intel i7-9700K @ 4.9 GHz all cores | Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU nVidia RTX2070 Super 8GB (440.97) | Audio Realtek 5.1 on MB | Screen AOC U3477PQU | OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    In-game settings: 3440x1440 | Texture Resolution HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON (adaptive) | AA None | Reflections HIGH | Envmap HIGH | Vehicle HIGH | World HIGH | Shadows HIGH | Motion Blur NO | Render Frames Ahead 1 | Particles HIGH/HIGH/HIGH

PC2Info, a PC program that shows most stats the game provides over UDP

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the suggestion! My plan is to stress test the GPU and then see if the problem occurs. I haven't had the issue with other games though, but I will try that if the stress test causes the issue. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampo View Post
    Since the problem started with the new GPU, it could be that your PSU can't give stable current to the GPU. Do you still have your old GPU? If so, see if it still works. Also, try setting vsync on in the driver for the RTX GPU and see if that gives a different result.

I did the benchmark today and all went well. I did a clean install of the new driver update today and the problem persists. I may have to throw in the old gpu over the weekend and see if that works. How do you turn vsync on in the driver?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph629 View Post
    How do you turn vsync on in the driver?
    There's an option in the 3D options that literally is called vsync or vertical synchronisation, you can set it to off, application-controlled or override.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I reinstalled the game after deleting the files. I reinstalled on my HDD and I had artifacting and the game crashed after 15 or 20 mins. I took my 2070 out and put my old 680 back in and I had no issues.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph629 View Post
    I reinstalled the game after deleting the files. I reinstalled on my HDD and I had artifacting and the game crashed after 15 or 20 mins. I took my 2070 out and put my old 680 back in and I had no issues.
    Artifacting is often a tell-tale sign of broken GPU hardware. I'd return the 2070.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think