Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good RACE setup for Porsche 917 LH at LeMans, please

Platform
    PC

Exclamation Any good RACE setup for Porsche 917 LH at LeMans, please

Hi, any good RACE setup for the Porsche 917 LH at LeMans Vintage track, please? Specifically to be able to run about 5 or 10 laps with a stable car in curves but at the same time fast on the straights.

The big problem is that most of the setups available within the top 10 in time trial mode are very unstable, very little grip and it is definitely impossible and uncomfortable to drive the car for more than 1 lap in the same way as the player does. this video:

In addition to the obvious problem of tire wear due to these aggressive skid maneuvers. In my case, the problem with the setup of the video (which is the same setup used by the top 10 players in Time Attack mode) happens after the Arnage curve... In the video you can see how the player manages to take the curves located at minute 2:56, 3:00, 3:06 and 3:09 without losing control of the car at all, even without braking. On the other hand, if I make a single abrupt movement of the steering wheel or raise the accelerated foot, I completely lose control of the car and crash against the barriers..

In itself the main thing is not to have those counter-flights, and to be able to move the steering wheel on the straights without losing control of the car at the slightest movement, since at the moment I can not even overtake because of that.

And I know that I will not be able to get close to the time of 2:55 in Lemans, but with that at least I can get 3:03, 3:05 or 3:09 stable I will feel satisfied.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, it's the nature of TT, that people just compete for the one fastest possible lap time, so it makes sense that TT setups are a bit extreme many times. What I usually do is to take such an extreme setup and make it less extreme (for a race), by putting a bit more downforce, making the diff less aggressive, increase negative camber a bit. But how much such a setup needs to be toned down is a personal thing, some people can handle the setup being very aggressive, others not. I think it's best if you experiment and find your sweet spot yourself.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Yeah, it's the nature of TT, that people just compete for the one fastest possible lap time, so it makes sense that TT setups are a bit extreme many times. What I usually do is to take such an extreme setup and make it less extreme (for a race), by putting a bit more downforce, making the diff less aggressive, increase negative camber a bit. But how much such a setup needs to be toned down is a personal thing, some people can handle the setup being very aggressive, others not. I think it's best if you experiment and find your sweet spot yourself.
    In itself there is no problem with all that, except what you mentioned about players who are able to make those times by lap in online races, and then in the repetition you realize that they did not have to perform those extreme maneuvers to avoid losing control of the car. And that leaves me more questions than answers. The only answer I find is that some players avoid sharing their career setups to avoid increasing the number of competitive rivals that may threaten their supremacy.

On the other hand, we have players who we like more those races where you compete with many cars separated by less than 1 or 2 seconds apart, instead of running alone or without even having any possible threat for pit stop strategies.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by KANETAKER View Post
    In itself there is no problem with all that, except what you mentioned about players who are able to make those times by lap in online races, and then in the repetition you realize that they did not have to perform those extreme maneuvers to avoid losing control of the car. And that leaves me more questions than answers. The only answer I find is that some players avoid sharing their career setups to avoid increasing the number of competitive rivals that may threaten their supremacy.

On the other hand, we have players who we like more those races where you compete with many cars separated by less than 1 or 2 seconds apart, instead of running alone or without even having any possible threat for pit stop strategies.
    Well, it's natural for people to avoid sharing their setups if they can...But as you said, TT is different, a good setup for the race would not be good enough for TT, so there's no point doing TT with them. Not sure if you know it, but all the setups here in this thread are taken from time trial. I would be personally very happy to share my race setups, but I never race with the cars that you need setups for, so unfortunately I cannot help you. But if you wanted something for touring cars...

Platform
    PC
    But if you wanted something for touring cars...
    GT cars?

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by KANETAKER View Post
    GT cars?
    Which ones?

Platform
    PC
    Which ones?
    GT3, GTE and GT1. But this thread is for Porsche 917 LH. Anyway, in my case I do not understand why I am not fast enough and skilled with the GT, while in prototypes I am very competitive. And that despite the fact that when I use (for example) the GT3, I seem to go very fast and safely without making mistakes, but in that in Monza I do 1:47 with a Ferrari 488 GT3 and I see that another player with the same Car gets 1:44, when I try to go beyond the limit I simply lose the car. I can not brake later without losing control of the car, nor am I good at making those sudden changes of gear (from 6th to 1st), because I have that tendency to raise and lower gears realistically.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    You will not like this, but the reason is simple: In Monza, there have been 10261 logged time trial laps with GT3 cars. With LMP1 cars, there have been only 783. As you can see, the difference is massive, it is A LOT more people running GT3s than LMP1s, and a lot of the very fast people are running GT3s, than LMP1s. So there is A LOT more competition with very fast drivers in GT3 class.

I know the setups of the guy that has done the 1.44 with the Ferrari, they are extremely loose, but I am sure he has a lot of hours practice with it, so he can handle it. We can also practice for a lot of hours, trying to get used to his setup, but I think it's better to use a more normal setup that we are comfortable with and try to use faster/more difficult setups step by step. If you want, check my setup with the Lambo, I had done a 45.6 with it some months ago, I think the setup I had used is more "normal". I think I can do faster now, after even more months of practice, I will give it a try.

Platform
    PC
    You will not like this, but the reason is simple: In Monza, there have been 10261 logged time trial laps with GT3 cars. With LMP1 cars, there have been only 783. As you can see, the difference is massive, it is A LOT more people running GT3s than LMP1s, and a lot of the very fast people are running GT3s, than LMP1s. So there is A LOT more competition with very fast drivers in GT3 class.

I know the setups of the guy that has done the 1.44 with the Ferrari, they are extremely loose, but I am sure he has a lot of hours practice with it, so he can handle it. We can also practice for a lot of hours, trying to get used to his setup, but I think it's better to use a more normal setup that we are comfortable with and try to use faster/more difficult setups step by step. If you want, check my setup with the Lambo, I had done a 45.6 with it some months ago, I think the setup I had used is more "normal". I think I can do faster now, after even more months of practice, I will give it a try.
    I will try more later. But need focus on the topic of the thread. I make some testing laps at LeMans vintage with default LM setup (with 0-2 or 1-2 of downforce), but I'm still having problems only at the curve located at minute 3:09... I was trying some things: Downshift from 5th to 4th gear, leave the foot of the throtle pedal, or push the brake pedal, and the result is the same: The Porsche 917 LH still losing total grip from rear and going aganst the barriers. Nothing good for a race mode.

Platform
    PC
    Hey, I couldn't find that you made a TT run with the 917 LH at the vintage track. Anyway where do you have your Engine Braking value set? You can go up to 8 and this might help with your shifting and help you while braking. The Default value is only 2. Also if you lift off the throttle a little too much the value of 2 will snap the rear end loose.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2019-04-20 19-41-22-31.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	266388
    Also what number of clutches are you running? Loose is 8 which is fine if you have many lower speed corners but isn't necessary for Le Mans. The Default Le Mans setup is 6 clutches. Now the pro with the WR is using 10 and if you are as good as he is fine, but if you are not, reducing the clutches might also help you with control.
    Last edited by blinkngone; 20-04-2019 at 23:56.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.
    The following user likes this Post: KANETAKER