Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 919 hybrid p1 2016

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I'll have to give them setups a try, and read about the cars. Just something new I decided to play around with.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I saw a video Chris Harris did on the 919 Hybrid over the weekend and decided to give it a go. I used the LM (Low Drag) setup as a base for Nurburgring and Spa, very mildly tweaking rear aero (more) and adjusting tire pressures and vents (radiator, break ducts) and it's amazing. Chris Harris pointed out that the hybrid system up front does a lot of KERS, complemented by the exhaust heat recovery system so you can actually dip into a lot of the corners by just lifting off the throttle. This is accurate as far as I could tell in the game (kudos to the developers on that one).

As for the hybrid power boost, I use it on straights and hill climbs that are mostly straight, as I have noticed it induces a lot of under steer. This is caused by centrifugal force on the wheels going nuts when you hit that boost, trying to straighten themselves so use it with caution. Otherwise a brilliant car, I think still current Nordschleife record holder at just over 5 minutes.

I do agree that most of the fun I've had with LMP1 cars has been using the stock loose setups and only mildly adjusting aero bits, not really touching gearing, dampers or springs.

I hope the "dip on lift" effect helps you enter corners quicker and break later. Keep also in mind that the KERS on this machine will also help a lot with breaklocking, I haven't done a telemetry analysis on this yet with the 919 but I bet because of it, you can hit the breaks a little harder than you think (and thus a little later).

Extremely fast vehicle, without changing any of the gearing and probably not running anywhere close to critical downforce I top out at 332 on the long straight on the 'Ring, with boost applied. The IRL record car I saw it top out over 350.

Good luck and I hope you find a way to enjoy these, they are brilliant engineering marvels.
    The following user likes this Post: blinkngone

Platform
    PC
    Yeah I have only done a couple of laps and the car has loads of grip. The braking with KERS is amazing. With my limited experience I thought late hard braking was good but others think early trail braking is better so you just have to practice and determine what works best. Some people are put off by the extra work you have to do with the LMPH cars compared to the old LMP1s. I did better by using KERS before mid apex and countersteering but I don't know what I am doing and the AI seem to use the method you described on the straights. Too bad I can't drive these cars, they do seem interesting.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by faranhor View Post
    ... Chris Harris pointed out that the hybrid system up front does a lot of KERS, complemented by the exhaust heat recovery system so you can actually dip into a lot of the corners by just lifting off the throttle. This is accurate as far as I could tell in the game (kudos to the developers on that one).
    Recharge doesn't happen unless you're braking. So the coasting through corners is the downforce/drag working, not the kers.
    Also I think recharge rate is affected by brake bias setting.

... As for the hybrid power boost, I use it on straights and hill climbs that are mostly straight, as I have noticed it induces a lot of under steer. This is caused by centrifugal force on the wheels going nuts when you hit that boost,...
    Actually, that's just power understeer. Electric motors trying to pump ~500hp through the front tires while you're trying to steer out of a corner at the same time. Not pretty.
    R18 does the same, TS050 does it much less (it has an electric motor at the back so not nearly as much power to the front wheels).

I hope the "dip on lift" effect helps you enter corners quicker and break later. Keep also in mind that the KERS on this machine will also help a lot with breaklocking, I haven't done a telemetry analysis on this yet with the 919 but I bet because of it, you can hit the breaks a little harder than you think (and thus a little later).
    It has strong enough brakes to easily lock, and when the brakes are locked, they're not recharging the batteries. This makes you slower.

But yes, the '16 P1 cars are awesome, and and well beyond my personal capabilities.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Recharge doesn't happen unless you're braking. So the coasting through corners is the downforce/drag working, not the kers.
    Also I think recharge rate is affected by brake bias setting.
    Slight correction, the Porsche does recharge partly through the exhaust.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    This is the brake balance kenntnix used for his WR at RBR which is the Lemans/Stable Default, 60/40. At Catalunya antoninik used 57/43 and Bealdor used the Default Loose of 55/45. At Catalunya nic10070 used Loose 55/45 and renePro used 54/46. The others used 60/40. At RBR antoninik once again used 57/43, vontripps 58/42 and jakubs 60/40. It probably doesn't mean much but the fast guys at RBR and Catalunya are running 57-60 front balance. At Monza it was really mixed with 1 54/46, 2 55/45s, 2 60/40s and the others 56-58. At Spa everyone I checked was running 55/45. So I am guessing people aren't trying to set up their cars for KERS but mostly just to get the braking where they are most comfortable at a particular track.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Platform
    PS4
    For one hot lap blast, blink. They're TT setups you're going off. In a race to keep and use max charge you'll need to adjust pressure and bias for the best recharge, adjust gears for best fuel economy. Race vs TT for P1H cars seems to be a bit different and drive very different for fuel goals.
    Last edited by hkraft300; 24-04-2019 at 03:02.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    Ok, thanks. At Le Mans they all use the Le Mans Default 60/40 for some reason. Normally on PC TT the guys run the Default Loose setup and make their adjustments from there. The is the first time I looked at the 919. Previously there had only been 2 setup requests since the 7.0 patch. I made a TT run just to check out kenntnix set up. I didn't use KERS and ran a 1:27.771 +0:15.633. I ran again and then got a 1:23.614 +0:11.476 on the 3rd lap so for me this a huge pick up as I am used to seeing only tenths. I was thinking about making some adjustments to his setup just to see what happens without using KERS using 60/40 and 55/45 and then trying to see what happens if I try and set the car up for myself like I would usually do without KERS.

I found by just blipping the throttle I could get improved acceleration vs just holding it down. Anyway 55/45, 1:23.188, working my way up the leaderboard to 97th. It looks to me like there is so much going on without using the KERS button I am wasting my time trying to get a baseline.
    Last edited by blinkngone; 24-04-2019 at 08:37.

Platform
    PS4
    If you're going to change bias, you'll have to adjust ducts and pressure as well for maximum aero, brake temp management and kers regen. For max braking you'll probably want 55/45 bias but for a good compromise you're looking at 60/40 or further forward, with 75% pressure or less. Increases braking distance by about 25meters but massive gains out on exit with kers on.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    If you're going to change bias, you'll have to adjust ducts and pressure as well for maximum aero, brake temp management and kers regen. For max braking you'll probably want 55/45 bias but for a good compromise you're looking at 60/40 or further forward, with 75% pressure or less. Increases braking distance by about 25meters but massive gains out on exit with kers on.
    Ok thanks but I think I am done again with this. It was the yo-yo ing against my previous ghost that startled me. The throttle and braking without the KERS button I haven't figured out. I just got faster with every lap so it must have been I was just getting used to everything not that the 55/45 was better.