Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 VR headsets and PC2 discussion

Platform
    PC
    I'd love to hear about this, as I'm contemplating getting a Vega 56 (good price now!), updating my old workstation and try VR with PC2.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bporion View Post
    just looked no deals now . thanks anyway .
    Id keep checking.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce RTX2080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/
    The following user likes this Post: bporion

Platform
    PC
    another ' through the lenses ' vid this time its the S vs the Vive Pro vs Odyssey plus . the frigen S is killing me it looks great compared to the other 2 .
    OS : Windows 10 64 bit \ Processor : Intel Core i7 8700k \ RAM : Corsair Vengeance led 3000mhz DDR4 16GB \ MB : S1151 ATX ASUS TUF Z370 PRO Gaming \ games on D : ST 1000DM003-1SB102 ATA Device \ ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB \ Cooler Master HAF XM case \ Dell Alienware AW3418DW \ Buttkicker Gamer Pro 2 whit Simhub \ Yamaha 5.1 amp \ RSEAT RS1 Assetto Corsa edition \ Fanatec V2 , Clubsport Shifter SQ , Clubsport Formula Carbon , BMW GT2 Wheel , CSR Pedals \ Renovatio SRD9C CSW sli-style data display \ Sim Racing Hardware Monsta \ Oculus Rift S and Touch System .

First racing game : Auto Racing from Intellivision .

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Saw the through the lens video earlier in the week, the Rift S does look pretty good - I may well upgrade my CV1 later in the year.

For now - my Quest will be arriving on Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to it. Can't wait to be untethered
    System: Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX1070 (laptop) 8GB | 250GB M.2 + 960GB SSD + 2TB HDD| Win10 Home 64bit | Xbox 360 Controller | Oculus Rift CV1

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bporion View Post
    another ' through the lenses ' vid this time its the S vs the Vive Pro vs Odyssey plus . the frigen S is killing me it looks great compared to the other 2 .
    I hadn't seen those before. It looks a lot better then I expected.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce RTX2080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

Platform
    PC
    Any comments about Vega 56 and VR ?
    (it's the most likely card I'll choose at the moment, good pricing)

Platform
    PC
    I came across this Spanish review of the Rift S, it has a lot of good detail and right at the end there's a Sim Racer's perspective on the new unit.

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...ift-s-analisis
    i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Platform
    PC
    Reviews for the Rift S seem horrible. The sound output is horrible and the headband design seems to make it hard to use good headphones over it. 80Hz is kinda low, IMHO. LCD screens with poor dark areas. No manual adjustable IPD.
    I'm avoiding that VR HMD and am disappointed with Oculus with their "upgrade". I was expecting much more from Oculus.

I do have the Index on preorder but I'm not sure it will be an upgrade over the Vive Pro with Gear VR lens.

I wanted to order the HP Reverb because of the massive resolution bump but didn't. It has too many issues, horrible WMR tracking, mura issues, horrible sound, no manual adjustable IPD, small sweet spot and finally weird mounting angle. Tomshardware couldn't get PCars2 to launch with the headset. I could deal with all the other issues but PCars2 not running on it was a deal breaker.

I currently use the Vive Pro with Gear VR lens mod which is AWESOME! OLED screens with great blacks. No god rays and super large sweet spot. Seems like I might skip this generation altogether.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 2700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Goggles Paesano View Post
    I currently use an Odyssey+, but I have pre-ordered the HP Reverb because I'm drooling over that high resolution.
    I use the Odyssey+ too, managed to buy it pretty cheaply right when it came out. Compared to some other headsets I tried before (Vive I think) I liked how, despite similar resolution, the Odyssey+ is able to hide pixel borders better. I'd love to have better resolution, but I am also very aware that I would have to buy not only a new headset but also a new graphic card or maybe an entire new PC. Not ready for that yet.

What I would really like to see in new headsets, in addition to obvious things like higher resolution, is getting all technical glitches out, as they diminish the the user experience a lot.

For example, if I want to play PC2, the procedure is as follows:.

1.Check in the mixed reality portal if things are working, sometimes it has a message of driver failure, then I have to go to Device Manager. uninstall the headset, and the Scan for hardware changes for it to re-install.

2. Click "wake up" in mixed reality portal and immediately put the headset on.

3. Wait until it starts and then do the "look to the sides and to the floor" thing for the headset to orient itself.

4. In about 10% of cases it fails to do so, and I have to take the headset off and do the boundary setup, i.e., walk around the room with the headset in my hand. Because otherwise it defaults to the seated mode which, surprisingly, is not good for seated simracing. Because in the seated mode it does not support head movements forward and back, and that ruins everything.

5. Once I get the headset oriented in the normal standing mode, it displays the boundary. Which is stupid and annoying when simracing, I don't need it, I am seated, I won't trip over a sofa or run into a wall. So I have to take the headset off, and turn the boundary off in mixed realty portal

6. Then I go to Steam and start Steam VR. After it started, I check if the default windows audio output switched from my regular sound card to the headset. Per Steam VR setting it should, but in 20% of cases the headset audio remains disabled after the headset is woken up. In such case I have to go to Sounds, and enable that audio output manually

7. Then I start PC2 and put the headset back on (I do not start the game from VR, e.g. from Steam VR Home, because that requires using headset controllers, and I have them in a drawer, because I do not use them for gaming or anything).

8. I wait until PC2 gets to the menu and I check if the mouse is working. In 10% of cases, it is not working with headset on, only with headset off. In those cases I have to close the game, take the headset off, close Steam VR, and start again at 6.

9. If I am lucky, I can race.

I really wish it was a simpler and less error-prone process.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: bporion, John Hargreaves, MrTulip

Platform
    PC
    PawelK this is exactly why I'm staying away from any WMR headset. You don't need to do any of that with the Oculus Rift CV1 or the HTC Vive Pro. They just work and you're racing instead of troubleshooting. I would be so frustrated if that happened to me, you have to ask yourself what is your time and sanity worth.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 2700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bporion, PawelK