Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sliding Cars and sims

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1

Sliding Cars and sims

Ever since the first Project Cars I feel like something is not right about the car connection on the road.
    It also feels weird in how it shifts it's weight. Now I am looking at other sims and I never see this sliding behavior.
    Now I watched ACC and you see the car has weight and the car becomes unsettled if you load it wrongly.
    But in Project Cars 2 you basically feel this sliding all the time. It is hard to explain.
    It looks like the tyre is flexing to hard and your car begins to slide under it's weight. I never see this behavior in other sims.
    First does someone experiences that to? And second, do you know if this will be resolved in the next game?
    I am talking about this sliding behavior of the cars. I am talking mostly about GT3 cars. And if this is correct why don't we see this is any other simulator.

Platform
    PC
    I have never driven a GT3 car, but I have driven some of the street cars that are in PC2 and the cars I have driven IRL behave pretty much like the ones in PC2.

That being said, PC 2 felt pretty bad on my old DFGT wheel. It wasn't until I got a wheel with good FFB that PC2 felt realistic.
    Steam name: z1nonly
    Windows 10 / 3770k / GTX 1080 ti / 32gb DDR3 @1333 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    XBOX1
    If you slide too much try not to brake and steer and the same time In my opinion ACC is not the best reference for car physics and car behavior. The massive understeer and the sudden complete loss of grip are the biggest flaws in Kunos' physics. I suppose you watched Jardier's Monza race yesterday, I watched a bit too, and I must say, Jardier might be a fast driver and a nice guy but he's spreading the same plain wrong views about what's realistic car behavior, unfortunately his viewers go out and repeat the same wrong assumptions. Real life GT3s are absolutely planted. The way you can lose the car in Kunos' games is far far away from being realistic. I've seen more than once those 'what the hell just happened?' moments in ACC.
    PC2 might have its flaws, all simulation games have them, but here's a nice article about the guy who leads the engineering process. Also, if you read the 'Physics of DLC'-Threads you can see the passion for motorsport and that the guy knows what he's talking about.
    https://www.slightlymadstudios.com/h...eer-race-cars/
    The following 6 users likes this Post: hkraft300, HockeyNick30, morpwr, RomKnight, Zaskarspants, Zeratall

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    I agree with the OP.
    I have always thought the cars had too much inertia when sliding.
    It’s not something I dislike, it’s kinda fun, but I would expect the grip to come back quicker and less linearly than it does in the game. And indeed it gives a feeling of lacking connection to the track.
    (when I play pcars2 I say to myself : imagine the track is dusty)
    The following user likes this Post: Bliman

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by rich1e I View Post
    If you slide too much try not to brake and steer and the same time In my opinion ACC is not the best reference for car physics and car behavior. The massive understeer and the sudden complete loss of grip are the biggest flaws in Kunos' physics. I suppose you watched Jardier's Monza race yesterday, I watched a bit too, and I must say, Jardier might be a fast driver and a nice guy but he's spreading the same plain wrong views about what's realistic car behavior, unfortunately his viewers go out and repeat the same wrong assumptions. Real life GT3s are absolutely planted. The way you can lose the car in Kunos' games is far far away from being realistic. I've seen more than once those 'what the hell just happened?' moments in ACC.
    PC2 might have its flaws, all simulation games have them, but here's a nice article about the guy who leads the engineering process. Also, if you read the 'Physics of DLC'-Threads you can see the passion for motorsport and that the guy knows what he's talking about.
    https://www.slightlymadstudios.com/h...eer-race-cars/
    You are beginning to know me . Yes I was watching Jardier. I had it the most with a Ruf in the original game. I had no connection with the road. And I think that I changed the setting of toe in completely to elevate it a bit. Then I tried Project Cars 2 for the first time back in the day and used the Nissan GTR GT3 and it felt much more planted. But then I started playing further and I still feel that the inertia is wrong. It has nothing to do (minimal) with overdriving. It is the behavior of the physics.
    One thing I don't question the passion or knowledge of the team. But I still feel like something is off.
    I am not saying that ACC has it all right. But it's behavior from seeing cockpit views of the game and seeing cockpit views of real life looks much closer to reality then Project Cars2.
    There seems something of with the inertia, connectness of the road. It is hard to explain. But if you watch lot's of Jardier video's you know what I mean. Their is a sliding factor in Project Cars 2 that is not correct imo. You also don't see it in any other sim.
    Now it could be that only Project Cars2 has got it right, but then I can't explain why it looks so much different then real life and the other sims look closer to real life in physics behavior of these criteria.

Platform
    PC
    I said it before, but maybe I was too general, so I will make the point more specifically this time:

I own two 86-platform cars IRL. My wife and I compete with a 2016 FRS that's prepped for the SCCA's Solo Spec Coupe class and my wife drives a 2015 FRS to work every day that is still stock.

The GT-86 in PC2 handles pretty much like a REAL 86.

Maybe they coded the physics for the 86 first and then just guessed at the GT3 cars.

Since I have never driven a GT3-prepped car, I don't know how, exactly, they are supposed to handle. However, the cars I HAVE driven IRL drive similarly when I drive them in PC2.
    Last edited by Twinz; 22-05-2019 at 16:08.
    Windows 10 / 3770k / GTX 1080 ti / 32gb DDR3 @1333 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5
    The following user likes this Post: Maskmagog

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    I said it before, but maybe I was too general, so I will make the point more specifically this time:

I own two 86-platform cars IRL. My wife and I compete with a 2016 FRS that's prepped for the SCCA's Solo Spec Coupe class and my wife drives a 2015 FRS to work every day that is still stock.

The GT-86 in PC2 handles pretty much like a REAL 86.

Maybe they coded the physics for the 86 first and then just guessed at the GT3 cars.

Since I have never driven a GT3-prepped car, I don't know how, exactly, they are supposed to handle. However, the cars I HAVE driven IRL drive similarly when I drive them in PC2.
    Yes this is very valuable information. Can you explain the discrepancy you see from the onboard cameras from real life and the sim in the case of GT3 cars?

Platform
    PC
    I have not spent time watching GT3 in-car footage.

Are we comparing professional drivers to professional drivers?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    I have not spent time watching GT3 in-car footage.

Are we comparing professional drivers to professional drivers?
    No I am comparing world-class simulation drivers to professional drivers. I don't think there would be much difference anyway.
    You can see Professional drivers in other sims and you see that they do must adhere to the physics of the sim. It is not that it suddenly will appear different.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliman View Post
    Yes this is very valuable information. Can you explain the discrepancy you see from the onboard cameras from real life and the sim in the case of GT3 cars?
    Now, obviously you think you have a point to make here, so you should provide some videos.
    Btw, no simulation game in the world will ever be able to completely eliminate discrepancies between RL and the virtual world.