Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AI thoughts

Platform
    PC
    To fully replicate it would be good to know at least the approximate weather conditions of that Career race. And I presume it is quali + race, right?

Even though I said I had no time I gave it a few tries, because who needs sleep if there is a race to run ;-). To start with something, I set up an 8-lap Custom Race with 16 cars, no quali, me starting in P16, AI 90% (and 50% aggression, I have never changed their aggression, do you guys bump it? I remember from AC that AI would behave like real d*cks at higher aggression level and it was no fun). Turned out I remembered the track pretty well, and also must have driven the car before because I had a saved setup (but probably something very close to default "loose", I do not fiddle with setups much).

So what usually happened is that I got to P8-P6 on the first lap before we got to the first back straight. AI did pretty bad starts and they sucked in the first twisty section in dense traffic. Once I was even in P4 after first lap, getting there with a not very clean pass (aka divebomb ;-) ) at the hairpin.

But then it got more difficult to catch them, when not in traffic they started taking better lines. Also my tyre temp and pressure would go too high and sooner or later I would do a power spin on a corner exit ;-).

So I need to practice that car more and probably also fiddle with the setup a bit. Probably lower tyre pressure to start with (though the setup you posted starts higher, if my psi-to-bar conversion is correct). To catch slides better, I should also lower the steering ratio even more, I used 11.2:1 or so , down from default 13 or 14, I see the setup you posted uses 9.2

Anyway I already had laps below 1:30, maybe one in the 28s. The time may be meaningless if weather/track condition is vastly different in the Career race, but this 90% AI did not seem completely out of my reach.

I'll get back to this.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PawelK View Post
    To fully replicate it would be good to know at least the approximate weather conditions of that Career race. And I presume it is quali + race, right?

Even though I said I had no time I gave it a few tries, because who needs sleep if there is a race to run ;-). To start with something, I set up an 8-lap Custom Race with 16 cars, no quali, me starting in P16, AI 90% (and 50% aggression, I have never changed their aggression, do you guys bump it? I remember from AC that AI would behave like real d*cks at higher aggression level and it was no fun). Turned out I remembered the track pretty well, and also must have driven the car before because I had a saved setup (but probably something very close to default "loose", I do not fiddle with setups much).

So what usually happened is that I got to P8-P6 on the first lap before we got to the first back straight. AI did pretty bad starts and they sucked in the first twisty section in dense traffic. Once I was even in P4 after first lap, getting there with a not very clean pass (aka divebomb ;-) ) at the hairpin.

But then it got more difficult to catch them, when not in traffic they started taking better lines. Also my tyre temp and pressure would go too high and sooner or later I would do a power spin on a corner exit ;-).

So I need to practice that car more and probably also fiddle with the setup a bit. Probably lower tyre pressure to start with (though the setup you posted starts higher, if my psi-to-bar conversion is correct). To catch slides better, I should also lower the steering ratio even more, I used 11.2:1 or so , down from default 13 or 14, I see the setup you posted uses 9.2

Anyway I already had laps below 1:30, maybe one in the 28s. The time may be meaningless if weather/track condition is vastly different in the Career race, but this 90% AI did not seem completely out of my reach.

I'll get back to this.
    Ok, your conditions must be close to mine. In my Custom race 3 lap practice run by myself I ran almost a 1:29 flat. In my race against the 16 AI I was only doing 1:31s but I passed all 16 on lap 1 using his settings. I had already put over 2 seconds on 2 place by the 3rd lap so didn't need to go faster.

I did a few test runs and at 90 AI the lead AI were much faster, no way I would catch them ever running 1:29s. Here is the problem I run in to. The first time I run the AI are only running 1:29s. This is still a problem because I am behind and would need to run 1:26s to catch up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2019-06-08 13-49-36-84.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	268806
    See above P6 Lap1 but already +5 seconds behind.

Name:	pCARS2 2019-06-08 13-53-39-65.jpg 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	268807
    Ok, so I run again just to see what happens and this happens to me often. The AI leader in the Sierra is banging out 1:23s, which is what I expected at 90 AI, and you can see I would need to do 1:20s to catch him. So the first run the AI slack off and the 2nd run they go crazy. You can see the other 190 Es are running 1:28s, 1:29s /1:30s which is pretty good for this car, comparable to the setup from TT.

Name:	pCARS2 2019-06-08 14-10-36-88.jpg 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	268808
    Last edited by blinkngone; 08-06-2019 at 18:35.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Platform
    PC
    So the games' actual AI difficulty may differ from nominal difficulty not only between tracks and cars but between races on the same track in the same cars. That's stupid in my opinion, and one more reason to be even less interested in the Career mode. I am wondering if it'a a bug or a feature.

BTW one thing that I missed is that the grid included different cars, I ran against 15 190Es. Looks like it can be far more difficult against a Sierra.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PawelK View Post
    So the games' actual AI difficulty may differ from nominal difficulty not only between tracks and cars but between races on the same track in the same cars. That's stupid in my opinion, and one more reason to be even less interested in the Career mode. I am wondering if it'a a bug or a feature.

BTW one thing that I missed is that the grid included different cars, I ran against 15 190Es. Looks like it can be far more difficult against a Sierra.
    Well yeah that's kind of the way a Career would work in reality as well, you can't win them all. I think most people have acknowledged Career could use some work and this has been addressed in the Forums and SMS is working to have more fun in Career in PC3 or whatever they eventually choose to call the new game. Pick the wrong car to drive and you can be in deep trouble. The Sierra s**ks in my opinion because you have to back off on the Boost/Restrictor or the dang engine will blow. But in Career the AI can make it a killer car. In GT3 Career the SLS and Z4 are a pain because the AI drive them so fast.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.
    The following user likes this Post: PawelK

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    You never know what you will get vs the AI. You can't judge your progress within your selected level because you will win big and lose big within the same setting. It's just part of the game that never got improved.
    Sometimes you just have to see during practice or qualifying how you match up and then reset the AI levels for a close race. Too low of aggression and they will just go slow. I leave aggression on fairly high so they try to win and deal with the inevitable punting when braking (which happens on all levels). Then change only difficulty to suit how the AI drive the track.
    It seems in many recent games, with new AI discoveries, no one has got it down yet, with realistic AI that actually wear their tires and fuel as you do and make pit stops with actual intelligence.
    So, you get them pitting unnecessarily or not at all or not affected by conditions as you are. I have found myself using no tire wear or fuel depletion, no pit stops, just to have an even race that doesn't end with the AI doing something stupid that wastes hours of an endurance race.
    Xbox One X | Thrustmaster TX Leather Addition | T3PA Pedals w/BBJ Conical Brake Mod | BBJ Button Box | Wheel Stand Pro | Vizio 50" 4K Ultra HD TV