Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I suck at sim racing, any tips and tricks to help me get better?

Platform
    PC

I suck at sim racing, any tips and tricks to help me get better?

Long story short I have been playing racing games as long as I can remember and honestly I am not good.
    I'm inconsistent, slow and I am hardly a clean racer even though I try my best to be as clean as possible. On top of this I have no idea how to set up ffb on a wheel and only have a basic knowledge of how to set up a car.

The wheel I use is a Logitech G920 and I don't know what I'm doing with the ffb at all, I would appreciate not only a setup but help understand what all of those sliders actually do, because everytime I move one I go back to driving and don't really know what's actually changed. Oh and I've tried the Jack Spade files but I found them to be too much hassle to get all setup.

Currently I've got a gaming laptop capable of running most of what I want to play and an OG Xbox One which I intend to replace next year.

Anyways what I am asking for is anyhelp improve my race craft, consistency, understanding and ecentually pace. Any help is appreciated. Oh and before anyone suggests it I am going to go through all of Yorkie's insider guide videos as I am sure they be helpful.
    SAVE BELLE VUE STADIUM- https://www.change.org/p/save-belle-vue-stadium
    PC3/R Content List: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...and-Discussion
    Xbox Gamertag: tankbuster621
    Steam: Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Watch all of Yorki-

Quote Originally Posted by Tank621 View Post
    Oh and before anyone suggests it I am going to go through all of Yorkie's insider guide videos as I am sure they be helpful.
    Oh.

Welp.

Seriously though the trick to consistency is to do the same thing over and over every lap. It probably sounds harder than it is. Pay attention to landmarks and marker boards. Brake at the same time. Turn at the same time. Accelerate at the same time. Bobs ur uncle you're consistent now.

Go practice young padawan.
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

Gaming System ASUS FX502VM Gaming Laptop
    7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    1TB WD Passport Backup HDD
    Wheels: Fanatec GT3 RS V2 (RIP) Logitech Driving Force GT (RIP)
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Edition
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

SteamID:Shin321
    The following 5 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, Maskmagog, poirqc, rich1e I, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Long story short I have been playing racing games as long as I can remember and honestly I am not good.
    I'm inconsistent, slow and I am hardly a clean racer even though I try my best to be as clean as possible. On top of this I have no idea how to set up ffb on a wheel and only have a basic knowledge of how to set up a car.

The wheel I use is a Logitech G920 and I don't know what I'm doing with the ffb at all, I would appreciate not only a setup but help understand what all of those sliders actually do, because everytime I move one I go back to driving and don't really know what's actually changed. Oh and I've tried the Jack Spade files but I found them to be too much hassle to get all setup.

Currently I've got a gaming laptop capable of running most of what I want to play and an OG Xbox One which I intend to replace next year.

Anyways what I am asking for is anyhelp improve my race craft, consistency, understanding and ecentually pace. Any help is appreciated. Oh and before anyone suggests it I am going to go through all of Yorkie's insider guide videos as I am sure they be helpful.

I cant help with that wheel but im sure some one here can. That's the first ting you need to get right so you can feel what the car is doing. Once you get that part you can worry about getting faster. I wouldn't worry about setups too much right now. Honestly most of the top times can be done with the default setups or at least really close to them. Usually everyone tries to drive faster because they are slow. Normally its the opposite that works. Try backing up your corners (brake earlier) so your in control of the car and you should be able to get back on the gas sooner. Usually the laps that feel really slow are the fast ones because you were in control the whole time. Stick with one car until you start getting faster. Personally id use the formula rookie at Silverstone. It teaches you a lot about carrying corner speed so you can be fast because you don't have a ton of horsepower. Just remember to try and be smooth with your inputs and it will come to you. Even run some races with the ai and set it so they are just a bit faster but you can keep up. The lines they take aren't horrible so you can watch them and once you get so you can beat them keep bumping their level up. Once you get some wheel settings your comfortable with leave them alone. It will make it difficult to learn if you keep changing them as youre trying to improve. Once you do start getting more comfortable you can always go back and tweak them some.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce RTX2080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/
    The following 4 users likes this Post: cpcdem, PawelK, poirqc, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Well that sounds like a good starting point to me then, thanks for the advice guys

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    First of all... try my force feedback file. Things should make your FFB make a lot more sense to you after that. I have reports in my thread linked in my signature that some people even find multiple seconds due to it on various steering wheels.
    For starting FFB settings I recommend Gain: 100, Volume 50-100 (depending on the car), Tone 50 and FX 0-100 (preference). Most leave FX on 30 I believe.

Secondly, the braking system is bugged. Keep this in mind at all time!
    This bug means that setting the brake bias forwards can lead to oscillation at standstill, but when set too much rearwards (and one car is worse than the other) the rear will break out even if you drive on a flat road and keep the steering wheel straight. This issue really affects trail braking behavior (stay a little on the brakes while turning into a corner). Thus try not to trail brake.

I recommend trying to do a normal approach first. So try to at least see corners into multiple stages... line-up the car for the corner, brake in a straight line, downshift whilst decelerating, release the brake, turn-in, hit the apex, straighten the wheel, slowly add throttle to accelerate as to not upset the car, up-shift when needed, aim for the outside curbstones, and move off onto the next corner.
    Racing isn't just instinct alone. It also requires a lot of thought, and so does thinking about taking each corner as smoothly, precisely and fast as possible.

Thirdly. Being consistent isn't gained from driving on the absolute limit of your ability. As the saying goes "Slow is fast".
    To further improve consistency I recommend using a telemetry app, and I can recommend "Sim Racing Telemetry" which is available on Steam.
    The professional drivers use it also for this reason... to improve their consistency by visually comparing the inputs versus your speed and so on. Nothing beats seeing which corners you are exactly being all over the place in, and why exactly.

Lastly and I can't stress this enough. Before talking about setups you should try to be consistent first with what you have, and when you are consistent try to optimize your driving speed. If you are really reaching limits than you'll really know if it's you or that it's the car.
    Ben Collins for instance has said that he only changes the setup when he has hit the cars limit, only after he himself tried all of his available options. The reason why this is, is because in real life you do not have the luxury of changing a setup quickly. It takes mechanics a lot of time to change certain aspects, so as a professional driver you learn to get the most out of what is offered to you with the car at hand. You do that by learning various driving techniques and with all those techniques in your arsenal you try to squeeze as much out as you can.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following 3 users likes this Post: PawelK, poirqc, Tank621

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    If you feel like using FFB custom files, Christiaan's are really good. At worst, you may need to change 1 value (tighten output 0.12, but its already in a good ballpark for the G920).

If you don't feel like playing the custom way, the informative and immersive template does a nice job. They have an auto level feature that works. To keep a natural feeling drive, I'd do the following:
    Select the template, leave gain at 100, lower volume around 30-35.
    Leave Tone around 50(Keeps the forces balanced).
    Put Fx to 0 for the time being.
    Once this is done, pick the car you know the most.
    On track, move volume up until you strike a balance between force ramp up and saturation/clipping(wheel is just constantly heavy)
    *You may move Fx up slowly if you still have some headroom.
    When this is done, try different car class to see if its good enough across the board.

This really a TL;DR version. You could lose you mind about FFB

As for driving, Visualise in advance how/what unexpected things will unfold. That wait you only have to react instead of compute/react.

For setups, I'd play with only 1 thing at first: Tyre pressure:
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...Tyre-Pressures

This post is your target for the different tracks. Based on track/weather temp, you'll adjust the pressure so that heated tyre run at the pressures suggested in this thread.
    Last edited by poirqc; 20-06-2019 at 00:57.
    All platform and wheels: Official Force Feedback Guide
    Info: pCars 2 Tire Pressure Official Guideline | Wheel FFB guide

Steering: G27 | My In-game FFB:Immersive 100/30/60/5
    The following 2 users likes this Post: PawelK, Tank621

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Also show us a video of you racing, or log a time in time trial and tell us what it is, so we can follow your ghost. I am sure many people will be able to give more advice this way, about what specifically you need to improve more.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: MartinMWWebb, Maskmagog, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Last one is a really good idea. i am a bit like you Tank, been playing racing games for years but never really been that 'fast' i'm 'ok' sure and i drive some cars way better than i can others. (so i mostly stick to these TC1/TC)

The slow is fast approach helped me to no end, instead of trying to go in last second braking ive actually found i'm quicker (and more consistent) if i'm earlier on the brakes and then end up having more control through the corner and being able to put the power on earlier. the amount of people in public lobbies that will also try to dive bomb you goes down also as they go flying past you and end up going wide.

I'm also like you in that i don't really understand how to tune FFB (nor do i have the time to care haha) - in fact i leave everything at default including most car setups - most i will change is generally the tyres for the weather / fuel for length of race.. occasionally i tweak the brake bias and engine braking. The one time i did take time with a setup for the Clio it took a lot of faffing about for me to not gain much time - sure in racing terms a couple of tenths is the difference between the top few drivers, but its not worth my limited play time to keep going back and forth tweaking.

But overall the real key to me getting the most out of modern sims is having fun in what i am doing, i went for about 2 months of not touching PC2 because i wasn't having fun with it, came back to it and it felt like a new game - im still slow but
    CASE: Define Mini C TG l MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M DH3 l CPU: i5 8600k @4.8 l COOLER: Celsius S24 l GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 @1911 l RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz l SSD: 4x 250GB l OS: Win 10 Pro x64 l WHEEL: Logitech G29 l SHIFTER: Logitech G Driving Force l VR: Oculus Rift CV1 l Screen: LG 55" 4k TV
    Steam ID: MartinMWWebb
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Maskmagog, PawelK, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Wow this already more help than I expected, I really appreciate it

Platform
    PC
    Wow this already more help than I expected, I really appreciate it
    One more tip and most people do this including myself without realizing they are doing it. Don't yank the wheel down. You want to push the wheel up into the corner. What I mean by that is when driving with two hands and say turning left its very easy to get into the habit of pulling the wheel down with you left hand which will not be a smooth motion. You want to push the wheel up with your right hand and use the left for more control. Obviously turning right is just the opposite. Its a very easy habit to get into but also one that's easy to break if you are aware youre doing it.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce RTX2080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Tank621