Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I suck at sim racing, any tips and tricks to help me get better?

Platform
    PC
    Right I'm going to be doing time trial runs on Silverstone GP in the Formula Rookie so my ghost should be available on there
    Tank's Motorsports and Gaming Media: https://www.facebook.com/Tank621/
    SAVE BELLE VUE STADIUM- https://www.change.org/p/save-belle-vue-stadium
    PC3/R Content List: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...and-Discussion
    Xbox Gamertag: tankbuster621 Steam: Tank621

Platform
    XBOX1
    I think Shinza mentioned the most important things. Get your references for your braking point (ideally objects that are unbreakable), brake there. Usually you want look for the 100m board and adjust from there, most boards are attached to the wall so nobody can break them and take your reference away. In slower cars you probably can brake a bit later. Hitting the apex is important as it is the shortest line around the track. Having a reference point where you start turning in to hit that apex helps with consistency. Braking point --> you brake --> turn-in point --> you turn in --> hit the apex, repeat, and practice practice practice. Once you've sorted your braking and turn-in points and can hit the apexes you start to get into the rhythm and do the same thing lap after lap.
    I think the two little Ginettas (Junior or GT5) are the best cars to practice.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Shinzah, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Ok, I was like this too, I'm not fast really but I'm consistant, the biggest trick I fell into was only hotlapping, which yes got me speed around tracks but I never learnt to overtake doing this, how to run different lines than the ideal, both are things that can happen in a race, you could be forced wide to a line you don't know, you might have to avoid a collision.

My way came from using breakneck A.I in RFactor at the time, max aggression and then adapted the difficulty as I got to be 1-2 Seconds faster than the AI. Why 100% Aggression?: 1 single mistake could cause a huge problem, this ment I had to learn precision and safe manuvers.

Setup wise: I got a friend that did setups, I found his advice amazing with helping to run my own. If this is not possible look at the differences between other peoples setups and research what they do, there are millions of guides around the place, one amazing one for PC2 I use to this day.

Its really the Dark souls analogy to me, go into the shed, get hit in the face by a rake, then keep tanking rakes to the face until you get good at dodging the first rake and go to the 2nd rake.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: poirqc, Tank621

GT5 Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank621 View Post
    Long story short I have been playing racing games as long as I can remember and honestly I am not good.
    I'm inconsistent, slow and I am hardly a clean racer even though I try my best to be as clean as possible. On top of this I have no idea how to set up ffb on a wheel and only have a basic knowledge of how to set up a car.

The wheel I use is a Logitech G920 and I don't know what I'm doing with the ffb at all, I would appreciate not only a setup but help understand what all of those sliders actually do, because everytime I move one I go back to driving and don't really know what's actually changed. Oh and I've tried the Jack Spade files but I found them to be too much hassle to get all setup.

Currently I've got a gaming laptop capable of running most of what I want to play and an OG Xbox One which I intend to replace next year.

Anyways what I am asking for is anyhelp improve my race craft, consistency, understanding and ecentually pace. Any help is appreciated. Oh and before anyone suggests it I am going to go through all of Yorkie's insider guide videos as I am sure they be helpful.
    lmao, I guess we're in the same boat.

ill keep coming back here to get pointers.
    you're not supposed to go into the light, you're supposed to drift around it.
    Simulations 7:07
    drivers are not alive, the car is.
    Simulations 7:20
    The following user likes this Post: Tank621

Platform
    PC
    I think I'm going to try and edit all of these pointers onto a more concise list of pointers, I'll stick them on a google doc or something and link them in the OP
    The following user likes this Post: REXPITVIPER1

Platform
    PC
    Maybe someone said that already, but in case they did not. Watch your own "alone" races in chase view. It may turn out, that many times when you thought you were using the entire track, you were actually pretty far from the curb. Judging car width is not always easy, and often harder in simracing. Depends on the car too, of course. I once posted a short youtube video about how PC2 gives you unfair penalty for passing a crashed car on the shoulder, and I almost retracted it when, in chase view, I noticed how embarrassingly far from track limits I was when turning.

Also, when you feel confident that you alone driving is perfect and consistent, be very careful when you transition to real races. You will have to unlearn (to some degree) your newly acquired habit of being super consistent. Often the best line that you practiced for so long and know so well will be not available to you because of other cars. You have to adjust not only your line, but also your braking points, speeds, everything. Because if you were on the edge of grip with the perfect line (as you should be), you will be far beyond it with suboptimal line forced by track situation

Even if you managed to go through the corner safely alongside another guy, the need for adjusting your habits remains. Yes you want to get on the gas quickly to finish the job and leave him behind, but he is still there. Many times I have seen (and have been hit and crashed) when the guy on the inside exits as if he was alone there and had all the track width for himself, and hits the car on the outside.

Platform
    PC
    And yes I agree very much with what so many people already said: do not try to drive the corner on the limit, to brake at the last possible moment. Until you are a master, more often than not you will make a small mistake that will cost you far more on the exit than you gained by delaying your braking point by those additional 3 meters.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    All good comments. I add a few, coming from a guy that is also not so great.

For years, I heard 'slow-in-fast-out'. Only recently have I really understood this.... Don't try to gain lap time on the brake point. You will gain much more control, and lap time, by entering the corners controlled, and accelerating out with confidence.

Try Cristiaan's FFB files. They are good. But simple is better than complex, based on what you write. FFB is not your secret weapon, I suspect. A basic FFB without too much spastic info, is probably better and lets you focus on the driving.

Curious, what are you using for monitor, FOV setting?? This can be a game changer when it comes to consistency.

Listen to the audio and tire screeches. Are you braking 100% and trying to turn? You will get better turn-in if you lighten up on the brake pedal just before turning.

Know the track.... practice and build up the times if needed. Take time to figure out braking point markers.

When accelerating, be more smooth on the go-pedal. Go 75-80% first, then give it all balls after your straight and damned sure.

Setups. Personally I agree with the comments that setups are the last thing to focus on. But.... there are some cars in PC2 with absolutely bizarre default setups. So if you let us know the car(s) you are usually using, it might help.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following 2 users likes this Post: REXPITVIPER1, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Currently I've got a 15.6 inch Laptop with FoV set 90 using the cockpit camera

Currently I am just focussing on the Formula Rookie to put into practice all of the advice I have been given so far
    The following user likes this Post: REXPITVIPER1

well that's 9 seconds improved from earlier...

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - Gigabyte GM-M6880X Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following 2 users likes this Post: REXPITVIPER1, Tank621