Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AI behavior

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I found the AI in all racing games to be pretty bad. Project Cars 2 is a bit worse than other racing sims though. PC2 for me has been by far my favorite sim except for AI behavior and lack of MP administrative handling of idiots who just want to wreck MP experience on purpose. Without the MP administrative handling a person tends to lean more towards the single player, but then runs into AI issues frustrating a person.

I think 2 things SMS needs to perfect for PC3 should be AI behavior. Make it learn the players brake points and driving styles then create slight variances from that with a chance of error roughly equal to the drivers error rates. After each race or each season maybe provide feedback on how the driver has done in relation to AI's difficulty setting. So if you set the game at an 80% difficulty and say you raced as if you were in a 90% difficulty region, the player has the option to increase. Or have a check box for the AI difficulty to auto-adjust.

Also, I'm not sure if this is just a visual bug, but I have seen AI take turns with DRS open. Also seen AI using DRS in races without another car in front of them (again, not sure if this is just a visual bug).

Would be nice to at least see bug fixing to done to PC2 even with PC3 under development. Last patch I saw was Dec. 4, 2018. This title has been out for less than 2 years and should still receive support on some bug issues.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DTPlatz View Post
    I found the AI in all racing games to be pretty bad. Project Cars 2 is a bit worse than other racing sims though. PC2 for me has been by far my favorite sim except for AI behavior and lack of MP administrative handling of idiots who just want to wreck MP experience on purpose. Without the MP administrative handling a person tends to lean more towards the single player, but then runs into AI issues frustrating a person.

I think 2 things SMS needs to perfect for PC3 should be AI behavior. Make it learn the players brake points and driving styles then create slight variances from that with a chance of error roughly equal to the drivers error rates. After each race or each season maybe provide feedback on how the driver has done in relation to AI's difficulty setting. So if you set the game at an 80% difficulty and say you raced as if you were in a 90% difficulty region, the player has the option to increase. Or have a check box for the AI difficulty to auto-adjust.

Also, I'm not sure if this is just a visual bug, but I have seen AI take turns with DRS open. Also seen AI using DRS in races without another car in front of them (again, not sure if this is just a visual bug).

Would be nice to at least see bug fixing to done to PC2 even with PC3 under development. Last patch I saw was Dec. 4, 2018. This title has been out for less than 2 years and should still receive support on some bug issues.
    In which sim have you found the AI to be any better than PCARS2? With the exception of AMS, I personally found them all to be worse.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I race single player with either 100/100 or 120/80 and I have to say without any element of bias that out of the games Ive experienced (not many, but enough) PC2 has the most 'professional' ai that Ive seen. If you brake early expect to get hit in the rear just like if you suddenly unpredictably break on a motorway. Drive like an idiot and expect to get hit (just not in the face when you return to the pits). Give the ai professional courtesy and they are predictable, aggressive and rewarding to race against. You have to plan an overtake and likewise not defend if its a lost cause. Just my two pennies worth..
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    I race single player with either 100/100 or 120/80 and I have to say without any element of bias that out of the games Ive experienced (not many, but enough) PC2 has the most 'professional' ai that Ive seen. If you brake early expect to get hit in the rear just like if you suddenly unpredictably break on a motorway. Drive like an idiot and expect to get hit (just not in the face when you return to the pits). Give the ai professional courtesy and they are predictable, aggressive and rewarding to race against. You have to plan an overtake and likewise not defend if its a lost cause. Just my two pennies worth..
    I agree it's better than in other sims, but plan an overtake...in Long Beach you can always wait to the last corner, you know they take a wide line and never defend, so you can easily pass there in every lap. Watkins Glenn Short, wait for the carousel, they go very slowly there, so you can always pass at least 2 cars in that corner. Red bull ring, they disappear in the infield section, but then are so slow in turns 1 and 2 that you can make up the lost ground and in addition easily overtake a couple cars there at least. Similar in many tracks.

And since they are always like a train, it's the same thing lap after lap, same exact move every time. IMO they are way too predictable on defense and also in their attack, they will always go for the inside line, trying to outbrake even if they are 20 meters behind the human car...
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    You raise some good points. At Knockhill in Ginetta juniors its the same at turn 1 on the start- with my many career restarts ive gotten to know that at least 1 goes wide and one dlams on the anchors halfway round. I do see them racing each other though and often thats my point of initiative. Also variable pace within and between tracks has long been a source of frustration for me- but the key point is that compared to other ai Ive come across they are better. Room for improvement exists..
    Last edited by Keena; 04-07-2019 at 11:26.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem