Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RST Software the Official RST data analyser

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeratall View Post
    Thanks bud, and damn bealdor beating me to the punch as always =P
    Don't take it personal, he does that with everyone...
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Bealdor, Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PC
    New update coming out. One of the big new features is the "Race Engineer" which is the beginning of our our journey to automate graph analysis for both driver development and car setup.

The program analysis the data and makes suggestions where it see's issues.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver Suggestion.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	269763

If you click on the suggestion it will scroll the "cursor" to that turn so you can analyze the other graphs in detail.

Name:	Scrolled.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	269764

It also analysis the car setup.

Name:	Setup Suggestion.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	269765
    RacingSimTools.com : Owner
    PC2Tuner, Car Tuning Software - https://www.racingsimtools.com/product-page/pc2tuner
    Tuning Discord :https://discord.gg/w2MeTey
    The following 8 users likes this Post: bmanic, DinoM, F1_Racer68, Konan, Maskmagog, Olijke Poffer, Racing4Life, Sessionerror

Platform
    PC
    Just got back into playing pCars 2 and what a lovely surprise seeing the new software released! It looks awesome! Now waiting for my Legacy License to be accepted then I'll start exploring the new software.

Question: Does the old software still have it's place? Does the new one do everything the old did or should I keep both?
    Last edited by bmanic; 18-07-2019 at 16:45.

Platform
    PC
    Question 2: Does the new RST Software "automatically" issue me the pCars 2 license or is this contact button with legacy license just an ordinary email with a human at the other end? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out if I did everything correct and I'm impatient and want to start using the software! :-)

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
    Question 2: Does the new RST Software "automatically" issue me the pCars 2 license or is this contact button with legacy license just an ordinary email with a human at the other end? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out if I did everything correct and I'm impatient and want to start using the software! :-)
    For legacy licenses they get applied by a human aka me hahah. When you buy a license from the store inside the app it gets applied immediately. I get home from work in about 5 hours, I'll apply it then!
    PC2Tuner, Car Tuning Software - https://www.racingsimtools.com/product-page/pc2tuner
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bmanic, Konan

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Does the old software still have it's place?
    To be honest, I'm still using the "old software" most of the time, just because I have many, many base setups saved, and for my personal taste the "old software" is a lill easier to understand. But I'll retest RST after the upcoming update for sure.
    The following user likes this Post: DinoM

Platform
    PC
    Ok, so I've now played around with the new software and here are some thoughts.

First of all, I have to praise the PDF manual. It by itself should be mandatory reading for anybody who is interested in optimizing driving and car setups. It is awesome!! I would also like to sincerely praise the undertaking of this software package and the future potential it has.

.. however, at this moment in time, from a user perspective it feels extremely rough around the edges. There are virtually no usability features to speak of. Here are a few examples:

- There is no mouse wheel zooming other than in the track menu.. and even there the zooming is very awkward to say the least! Mouse scroll wheel zooming in all places where zooming is applicable should be utilized and it should always center at around the mouse cursor (which it doesn't do in the track menu.. it's very weird how it zooms out.

- Left mouse button on any part of the software only moves the main window around. This is quite annoying. Instead left mouse button should be used for quick navigation or scrolling through the lap sections.. or at the very least alternatively use right mouse button (which isn't used at all.. anywhere) to allow scrolling. Using the red scroll dot at the bottom of the screen is very archaic and something only completely new users to the software and computers in general should use. To move the main window around on the screen it should work like any other software, you grab the header/upper most part of the software.

- There is no way to DELETE laps. Have a huge list of mostly bad laps with irrelevant data? Tough luck.. need to restart session to clear them.

- .. and speaking of laps. There is no real information anywhere how the laps calculated data correlates with the 'CAR PARAMETERS' screen. When I set new parameters for the car setup, do ALL of the laps update to reflect these parameters or just the next bunch of laps? And why does the CAR PARAMETERS option only show up after I've made the first lap?? All of this is very confusing.

I'd also like the ability to write comments next to the laps. It would be useful to note what changes have been made to the car, or at the very least be able to click a little tag or something that says SETUP CHANGES.. and then perhaps clicking that would open a notepad where I could keep track of what exactly changed.

- There's no way to vertically zoom in any of the graphs. This would be really useful when some ranges are really low in value while the scale is in the thousands.

- As far as I can tell there's no way to save individual laps. Only whole sessions can be saved.. which again is very annoying when there is no way to delete laps.

- The icon for the annoying 'beep!!' sound for each lap is very counter intuitive and simply bad design. When you have a speaker with a diagonal line through it, one would assume the sound is OFF. Well.. it's not. Also, please implement a volume control for that beep. It can be useful but it's far too loud as it is now.

- It would be nice to be able to save complete settings of the software. Now I need to remember to turn off the 'Beep!!' sound every time.

Questions:

The whole CAR PARAMETERS thing is a mystery to me. Why do I only need to set Fast Bump value here? Is that the only value that pCars2 doesn't provide through UDP?

Also, why are there so many cars with default values that do not correlate at all with the ingame defaults? Scrolling through some of the spring settings don't correlate at all with what's available in the game. I take it that I can just manually input the exact correct values, right? At least that's what I've been doing.

Don't get me wrong, I think this thing has huge potential but at the moment it's extremely rough around the edges. I highly recommend spending a bit of time in basic polishing of the usability of the user interface.

Cheers!
    bM

Platform
    PC
    Ok, so I've now played around with the new software and here are some thoughts.

First of all, I have to praise the PDF manual. It by itself should be mandatory reading for anybody who is interested in optimizing driving and car setups. It is awesome!! I would also like to sincerely praise the undertaking of this software package and the future potential it has.

.. however, at this moment in time, from a user perspective it feels extremely rough around the edges. There are virtually no usability features to speak of. Here are a few examples:

- There is no mouse wheel zooming other than in the track menu.. and even there the zooming is very awkward to say the least! Mouse scroll wheel zooming in all places where zooming is applicable should be utilized and it should always center at around the mouse cursor (which it doesn't do in the track menu.. it's very weird how it zooms out.

- Left mouse button on any part of the software only moves the main window around. This is quite annoying. Instead left mouse button should be used for quick navigation or scrolling through the lap sections.. or at the very least alternatively use right mouse button (which isn't used at all.. anywhere) to allow scrolling. Using the red scroll dot at the bottom of the screen is very archaic and something only completely new users to the software and computers in general should use. To move the main window around on the screen it should work like any other software, you grab the header/upper most part of the software.

- There is no way to DELETE laps. Have a huge list of mostly bad laps with irrelevant data? Tough luck.. need to restart session to clear them.

- .. and speaking of laps. There is no real information anywhere how the laps calculated data correlates with the 'CAR PARAMETERS' screen. When I set new parameters for the car setup, do ALL of the laps update to reflect these parameters or just the next bunch of laps? And why does the CAR PARAMETERS option only show up after I've made the first lap?? All of this is very confusing.

I'd also like the ability to write comments next to the laps. It would be useful to note what changes have been made to the car, or at the very least be able to click a little tag or something that says SETUP CHANGES.. and then perhaps clicking that would open a notepad where I could keep track of what exactly changed.

- There's no way to vertically zoom in any of the graphs. This would be really useful when some ranges are really low in value while the scale is in the thousands.

- As far as I can tell there's no way to save individual laps. Only whole sessions can be saved.. which again is very annoying when there is no way to delete laps.

- The icon for the annoying 'beep!!' sound for each lap is very counter intuitive and simply bad design. When you have a speaker with a diagonal line through it, one would assume the sound is OFF. Well.. it's not. Also, please implement a volume control for that beep. It can be useful but it's far too loud as it is now.

- It would be nice to be able to save complete settings of the software. Now I need to remember to turn off the 'Beep!!' sound every time.

Questions:

The whole CAR PARAMETERS thing is a mystery to me. Why do I only need to set Fast Bump value here? Is that the only value that pCars2 doesn't provide through UDP?

Also, why are there so many cars with default values that do not correlate at all with the ingame defaults? Scrolling through some of the spring settings don't correlate at all with what's available in the game. I take it that I can just manually input the exact correct values, right? At least that's what I've been doing.

Don't get me wrong, I think this thing has huge potential but at the moment it's extremely rough around the edges. I highly recommend spending a bit of time in basic polishing of the usability of the user interface.

Cheers!
    bM
    First off thank you for the detailed write up, we would have preferred you reached out to us on our discord as some of the features you requested are in the works for the next patch such as mouse zoom.

That being said to each their own opinion most of the functionality complaints you mentioned have been requested by users, which just shows your not going to make eververy one happy.

There is no volume adjustment but you can turn it off, or you can turn down the volume in windows settings. In the future we plan on adding a settings window where you can save things like that.

In terms of car params the manual explain everything, but the udp doesnt output anything setup wise which is why you need to set all the car params value to match your in game settings. The manual mentions that sessions are specific to car params, so if you change the car params in a session that will change all the data for that session. However each session car params are different so you can compare setup changes between different sessions.
    Last edited by Zeratall; 20-07-2019 at 17:46.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeratall View Post
    First off thank you for the detailed write up, we would have preferred you reached out to us on our discord as some of the features you requested are in the works for the next patch such as mouse zoom.

That being said to each their own opinion most of the functionality complaints you mentioned have been requested by users, which just shows your not going to make eververy one happy.

There is no volume adjustment but you can turn it off, or you can turn down the volume in windows settings. In the future we plan on adding a settings window where you can save things like that.

In terms of car params the manual explain everything, but the udp doesnt output anything setup wise which is why you need to set all the car params value to match your in game settings. The manual mentions that sessions are specific to car params, so if you change the car params in a session that will change all the data for that session. However each session car params are different so you can compare setup changes between different sessions.
    I'll see if I can pop into the discord channel.

Using the windows audio level thing is not at all optimal when running both the game and the software on the same computer for obvious reasons.

As for the Car parameters stuff, no it's not at all clear in the manual how all of this works. So basically what you are saying that if I change the car setup, then I need to restart the program every time or exit the session in the game, reload the session then drive one lap to get the Car Parameters menu to appear then type in the setup changes? Also, is there a reason why I can't access car parameters before I've driven one lap?

EDIT: Also, why does the tool only ask for the fast dampers and nothing else if it can't pick it up from the game? I'm thoroughly confused because PC2Tuner asked for a lot more parameters.
    Last edited by bmanic; 20-07-2019 at 18:44.

Platform
    PC
    I'll see if I can pop into the discord channel.

Using the windows audio level thing is not at all optimal when running both the game and the software on the same computer for obvious reasons.

As for the Car parameters stuff, no it's not at all clear in the manual how all of this works. So basically what you are saying that if I change the car setup, then I need to restart the program every time or exit the session in the game, reload the session then drive one lap to get the Car Parameters menu to appear then type in the setup changes? Also, is there a reason why I can't access car parameters before I've driven one lap?

EDIT: Also, why does the tool only ask for the fast dampers and nothing else if it can't pick it up from the game? I'm thoroughly confused because PC2Tuner asked for a lot more parameters.
    You should be able to turn just RST sound down in the volume mixer, you can set game sound and rst sound indepedently, but like you mentioned its not optimal but like I said we will add a volume control, for now you can easily disable it.

regarding car params it is the manual, page 12 in bold lettering:

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-20-20-55-28-047.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	269942

And how you described is exactly what I didn't say lol like I said the point of having different car params for different sessions is so you CAN compare the different setup changes.

For example lets so you run a lap with 240N F spring. Run the lap, then in the car params set it 240N F spring. (That's why you can't enter car params before you do a lap, because theirs no data to perform the calculation on). In the tool this is Session 1, Lap 1.

Then lets say you go back to the pits, you change the F Spring to 300N F Spring, run the lap then in the car params under the new Session 2 Lap 1 you go to car params and enter 300N.

Now if you click back on Session 1 Lap 1, you will notice the F Spring in Car Params is still 240N F spring, if you click on Session 2 Lap 1, you will notice the Car Params will say 300N F spring.

This is why its crucial that the car params match what configuration the car was in for each session otherwise your data will be incorrect.
    Last edited by Zeratall; 20-07-2019 at 18:57.