Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RST Software the Official RST data analyser

Platform
    PC
    I'm sorry but I still don't understand the logic. Surely it would be much better this way:

1) Start RST
    2) Start pCars 2
    3) choose track + car
    4) when loaded and in the garage, do your setup tweaks (or load a previous setup)
    5) Insert these setup parameters into CAR PARAMETERS menu in RST (which is currently IMPOSSIBLE because you are forced to do a single lap before the menu appears, thus the first lap and session is basically thrown away and only used for bringing up the CAR PARAMETERS menu, which absolutely no sense at all in my opinion. Surely this must be a bug?).
    6) Start driving and analyzing, restarting a session in the game when making setup changes.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug or you are not simply understanding what I'm trying to say. So I'll try to say it once more as clear as I can think: The 'CAR PARAMETERS' menu is _missing_ until you drive at least one full lap. It just doesn't make sense. Why not allow me to put in all my setup parameters and not waste the first lap and session?

This is NOT explained in the manual and is indeed confusing.

Once a person gets over this hump it's easy peasy. One just needs to hit the Restart Session in the game every time you do changes (not explained clearly in the otherwise brilliant manual). The CAR PARAMETERS menu does not disappear in between. It's only not there the very first time after starting the program.

I've already put the tool to good use! Managed to cut down on my laptimes for the Caterham SP300R around Oschersleben B by more than 1 second and the car feels great! I'm currently trying to figure out how to fully optimize the aero on that little car. Not sure if it's worth the effort on that front but I'm working on it.

So while I have some criticism of the new software, please know that I thoroughly enjoy it and it does indeed work as advertised and I can highly recommend it to everbody as long as you aren't scared away by some weird quirks.

EDIT (old question from a few posts up but I'd be very interested in an answer still): Why does RST only ask for the fast dampers and not the slow nor any of the rebound settings? Is it really enough data with just the fast damper? I'm thoroughly confused because PC2Tuner asked for pretty much exactly all parameters.
    Last edited by bmanic; 21-07-2019 at 16:46.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
    I'm sorry but I still don't understand the logic. Surely it would be much better this way:

1) Start RST
    2) Start pCars 2
    3) choose track + car
    4) when loaded and in the garage, do your setup tweaks (or load a previous setup)
    5) Insert these setup parameters into CAR PARAMETERS menu in RST (which is currently IMPOSSIBLE because you are forced to do a single lap before the menu appears, thus the first lap and session is basically thrown away and only used for bringing up the CAR PARAMETERS menu, which absolutely no sense at all in my opinion. Surely this must be a bug?).
    6) Start driving and analyzing, restarting a session in the game when making setup changes.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug or you are not simply understanding what I'm trying to say. So I'll try to say it once more as clear as I can think: The 'CAR PARAMETERS' menu is _missing_ until you drive at least one full lap. It just doesn't make sense. Why not allow me to put in all my setup parameters and not waste the first lap and session?

This is NOT explained in the manual and is indeed confusing.

Once a person gets over this hump it's easy peasy. One just needs to hit the Restart Session in the game every time you do changes (not explained clearly in the otherwise brilliant manual). The CAR PARAMETERS menu does not disappear in between. It's only not there the very first time after starting the program.

I've already put the tool to good use! Managed to cut down on my laptimes for the Caterham SP300R around Oschersleben B by more than 1 second and the car feels great! I'm currently trying to figure out how to fully optimize the aero on that little car. Not sure if it's worth the effort on that front but I'm working on it.

So while I have some criticism of the new software, please know that I thoroughly enjoy it and it does indeed work as advertised and I can highly recommend it to everbody as long as you aren't scared away by some weird quirks.

EDIT (old question from a few posts up but I'd be very interested in an answer still): Why does RST only ask for the fast dampers and not the slow nor any of the rebound settings? Is it really enough data with just the fast damper? I'm thoroughly confused because PC2Tuner asked for pretty much exactly all parameters.
    Bmanic, I see what your saying the flow you stated would make sense from a UX perspective and I completely agree with you. The reason the Car Params are the way they are now is because we wanted the ability for users to compare different setups accros multiple sessions.

All the Car Params are saved to the "Session", so until you run some laps, there isn't a session to save car params too. Once you run 1 lap a session is created and car params are editable because those car variables have been created. But like I said they dont get created until the session has been created.

Thank you for the kind words, we are all Engineers working on this program not professional developers so there are going to be some UX improvements that need to be made like you stated. The thing we promise everyone though is we will continue to update and provide feedback as best as possible.
    RacingSimTools.com : Owner
    PC2Tuner, Car Tuning Software - https://www.racingsimtools.com/product-page/pc2tuner
    Tuning Discord :https://discord.gg/w2MeTey
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bmanic, Konan

Platform
    PC
    Ah now I understand it! Yeah, it would be much clearer if there actually was a pop-up once you start the program and select your sim that simply asks: What car do you want to drive today? Then select the car, insert your setup parameters and off you go.

But yeah.. I'm sure you'll be able to make the software a lot more slick in the future. The core part of the software works amazingly well and it TRULY makes it quick and easy to optimize car setups. A massive thumbs up from me overall!

@Everybody who happens to read this:

This is the way I do it right now and it works:

1) Start RST

2) Start Project Cars 2

3) Select a custom practice session (TT should work too)

4) Drive a full lap to force the CAR PARAMETERS menu to appear then go back to garage

5) Load or tweak the setup the way you want it

6) RESTART SESSION in pCars 2 (this step is important)

7) Insert the car setup information that you've changed or loaded into RST 'CAR PARAMETERS' menu. Make sure you then SAVE the car parameters into a file. I suggest keeping the name the same as in pCars 2.

8) Now drive as many laps as you think you need, highest priority being on consistency! Don't try to go balls out. Drive 98% of full capability and try to have laps within 0.3s of each other or better

9) Once done with driving start investigating RST and all it has to offer. Make a plan to adjust only 1 major target at a time (suspension, ARB, dampers, aero, break bias)

10) RESTART SESSION in pCars 2

11) Again insert the new car setup changes into 'CAR PARAMETERS' menu in RST

12) Drive

13) ... rinse and repeat from step 9
    Last edited by bmanic; 21-07-2019 at 17:39.

Platform
    PC
    Will it ever be possible to import car parameters directly from the sim instead of having to manually entering all that data.
    I7-7700K/GTX 1080/Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB DDR4 DRAM/Gigabyte LGA1151 Crossfire DDR4 Motherboard/ADATA Premium Pro 256 GB SATA SSHD/Deep Cool TX Mid Tower Tesseract/
    Trinus PSVR

Platform
    PC
    Ah now I understand it! Yeah, it would be much clearer if there actually was a pop-up once you start the program and select your sim that simply asks: What car do you want to drive today? Then select the car, insert your setup parameters and off you go.

But yeah.. I'm sure you'll be able to make the software a lot more slick in the future. The core part of the software works amazingly well and it TRULY makes it quick and easy to optimize car setups. A massive thumbs up from me overall!

@Everybody who happens to read this:

This is the way I do it right now and it works:

1) Start RST

2) Start Project Cars 2

3) Select a custom practice session (TT should work too)

4) Drive a full lap to force the CAR PARAMETERS menu to appear then go back to garage

5) Load or tweak the setup the way you want it

6) RESTART SESSION in pCars 2 (this step is important)

7) Insert the car setup information that you've changed or loaded into RST 'CAR PARAMETERS' menu. Make sure you then SAVE the car parameters into a file. I suggest keeping the name the same as in pCars 2.

8) Now drive as many laps as you think you need, highest priority being on consistency! Don't try to go balls out. Drive 98% of full capability and try to have laps within 0.3s of each other or better

9) Once done with driving start investigating RST and all it has to offer. Make a plan to adjust only 1 major target at a time (suspension, ARB, dampers, aero, break bias)

10) RESTART SESSION in pCars 2

11) Again insert the new car setup changes into 'CAR PARAMETERS' menu in RST

12) Drive

13) ... rinse and repeat from step 9
    I don't understand why you'd waste a session just to enter the car parameters before actually driving your desired setup?
    Just start the game and app, do your practice session in-game, when you're done enter the car parameters used in said session and start analyzing (currently you need to select another lap after entering your car parameters for the charts to get updated).
    The data isn't falsely recorded just because the car parameters don't match in the beginning, so there's no point in wasting time on that throwaway session.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Konan, Sessionerror, ShneebnaMRR108

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    I don't understand why you'd waste a session just to enter the car parameters before actually driving your desired setup?
    Just start the game and app, do your practice session in-game, when you're done enter the car parameters used in said session and start analyzing (currently you need to select another lap after entering your car parameters for the charts to get updated).
    The data isn't falsely recorded just because the car parameters don't match in the beginning, so there's no point in wasting time on that throwaway session.
    I guess I am suffering from bugs then because what you just wrote is NOT true here. The data does not change at all by entering the car parameters after the recording. You MUST have the correct parameters set before you drive or the data will be wrong.

You can very easily verify this yourself. Drive a few laps, then re-enter completely new parameters.. then look at the graphs. They don't change at all. Thus the only conclusion can be that you must have the car parameters inserted correctly before you drive laps to get the correct data.

Platform
    PC
    They do update, but you gotta redraw the graphs, exiting the car params (right now, being changed in the next update on friday) doesn't redraw them. If you click another tab or select another lap it would.

That's being changed on the update on Friday though, now when you exit the car params it will trigger to redraw the graphs.
    RacingSimTools.com : Owner
    PC2Tuner, Car Tuning Software - https://www.racingsimtools.com/product-page/pc2tuner
    Tuning Discord :https://discord.gg/w2MeTey
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, ShneebnaMRR108

Platform
    PC
    I guess I am suffering from bugs then because what you just wrote is NOT true here. The data does not change at all by entering the car parameters after the recording. You MUST have the correct parameters set before you drive or the data will be wrong.

You can very easily verify this yourself. Drive a few laps, then re-enter completely new parameters.. then look at the graphs. They don't change at all. Thus the only conclusion can be that you must have the car parameters inserted correctly before you drive laps to get the correct data.
    As Zeratall and myself wrote, currently you need to switch to another lap to redraw the graphs.
    If you don't do that, they won't get updated.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bmanic, Konan

Platform
    PC
    ah!! That could be it. Will check. I distinctly remember trying this exact thing but it is possible I'm mistaken. Thanks for the heads up!
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4
    Hi guys! First of all, I want to say a huge thanks to the developers for the program. Tell me how you calculate the parameter Installation Ratio (IR) in the Project Cars 2.

Sorry for my English))