Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ryzen 3000

Platform
    PC

New Ryzen 3000

I'm not fan of AMD (rather the opposite), but after watching the presentation of the Ryzen 3000 series I'm impressed.

Intel is asleep from many years ago with no innovations and still manufacturing their CPUs in 14nm. Expensive prices, problems of stock, and forcing users to change MoBo in every gen, was caused for the lack of competence in the CPU market.

The new AMD processors manufactured in 7nm, are much more efficient and now have more performance per core than Intel ones (that was the most importan trouble for AMD in gaming) . Also the prices announced are very reasonable, and you have more performance for less money. Despite the loyalty of Intel consumers, somebody in Intel's headquarters has to press the panic button because they was totally surpased.

Hope some day happens the same in the GPU market, because nVidia's domain make us paying abusive prices.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80241-...sktop-cpu.html
    Last edited by Asturbo; 27-05-2019 at 12:31.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia RTX2080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW WQHD | Wheel: Fanatec DD1 + Porsche Endurance + Formula 1 V2 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator /// Open Weather App /// DS Config Samples /// Google Standings /// PC3 wish list
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Platform
    PC
    Really whats not to like about AMD ? I've never owned any AMD products but really couldn't care less what i have in my system as long as it works for what i paid for . I have an Intel 7700k that now im supposed to turn hyper-threading Off to stay safe from hackers !! Talk about not getting what i paid for ! May as well put my 6600k back in , lol
    GPU: Galax GTX1080Ti EXOC / CPU: Intel i7 7700K@ 5.1GHz/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s/ Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200mhz C14/ PSU: CM V750/ Storage: 4TB WD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: AOC 27" 1080p triples 5760x1080 / GT Ultimate/ Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2/ Formula v2 - magnetic shifter Mod / CS Universal Hub - magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/Steam/2ndLastJedi

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
    Really whats not to like about AMD ? I've never owned any AMD products but really couldn't care less what i have in my system as long as it works for what i paid for . I have an Intel 7700k that now im supposed to turn hyper-threading Off to stay safe from hackers !! Talk about not getting what i paid for ! May as well put my 6600k back in , lol
    I always keep away from AMD for 2 reasons: The performace per core that was low compared with Intel, and the high temps that CPUs had in previous gens. But now is different, AMD is doing things very well and it's innovating in design and manufacturing. In the other side, Intel is doing very bad with many security holes as you comment, the lack of innovation, and the abusive practices they usually do.

About last point, in Intel gen8 CPUs they created the new socket 1151v2 with extra pins only to make it incompatible with previous motherboards, and sell more chipsets for the MoBos. You can find the evidences in this video, but is something that we all suspect from long time ago. With Intel every new micro needs a new socket but in AMD each socket last 3-4 gens of CPUs.

About HT, if you have your bios updated and the OS patched, you can enable it. True that patching this security holes reduces the performance, but not as much as disabling HT. The big risk security holes, are those that exists, and we'll never know about them.
    Last edited by Asturbo; 27-05-2019 at 15:44.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia RTX2080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW WQHD | Wheel: Fanatec DD1 + Porsche Endurance + Formula 1 V2 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator /// Open Weather App /// DS Config Samples /// Google Standings /// PC3 wish list
    The following user likes this Post: BigDad

Platform
    PC
    I moved from a Phenom X6 to 2600k and then to the 3770k I have now. When I originally moved to Intel, it was just a performance upgrade decision. (No "feelings" for either company) After seeing how Intel handled themselves in the absence of competition at the top, I was hoping AMD would get back on top.

I started my next build at the beginning of the year just waiting to see how Zen 2 turned out. (Case, Fans, power supply, storage) Now I'm very much looking forward to building an AMD rig.
    Steam name: z1nonly Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/videos
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 16gb DDR4 @3800 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    I moved from a Phenom X6 to 2600k and then to the 3770k I have now. When I originally moved to Intel, it was just a performance upgrade decision. (No "feelings" for either company) After seeing how Intel handled themselves in the absence of competition at the top, I was hoping AMD would get back on top.

I started my next build at the beginning of the year just waiting to see how Zen 2 turned out. (Case, Fans, power supply, storage) Now I'm very much looking forward to building an AMD rig.
    If I had to change, no doubt I'd go for AMD when Ryzen 3000 arrives.
    Also Intel has to drop prices, specially i7 & i9, so the end of the year could be a good moment to upgrade the computer.
    In long term Intel has to design really new CPUs to be competitive again and to hard fix the security holes from last years that reduces the performance.

About GPUs I'm not so optimistic. NVidia is working hard and they made very good products (but expensive), so the gap is harder to close. They probably has new designs, but probably don't need to use them because is already the best option. I'm sure that if the next AMD GPUs is very powerful, they have an inmediate response.

Other question is next gen consoles. We don't know if it will have Ryzen 3000 architecture. It would be impressive, and with the big amount of units manufactured, could help AMD to reduce production costs even more makein their products even more competitive.
    Last edited by Asturbo; 27-05-2019 at 15:55.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Asturbo View Post
    Other question is next gen consoles. We don't know if it will have Ryzen 3000 architecture. It would be impressive, and with the big amount of units manufactured, could help AMD to reduce production costs even more makein their products even more competitive.
    From what I've read the new Gen consoles will use Ryzen 3000 architecture along with a Navi GPU.
    But I don't think that the units produced for PS5 and Xbox Two will help lower the prices for the desktop CPUs. They will probably be highly customized so the can be seen as a different product line after all.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted SOLD / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    Until we see some real world benchmarks dont get your hopes up AMD marketing never seems to live up to the end product. - Im not loyal to Intel i just buy what is best for my use case at the time.
    CASE: Define Mini C TG l MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M DH3 l CPU: i5 8600k @4.8 l COOLER: Celsius S24 l GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 @1911 l RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz l SSD: 4x 250GB l OS: Win 10 Pro x64 l WHEEL: Logitech G29 l SHIFTER: Logitech G Driving Force l VR: Oculus Rift CV1 l Screen: LG 55" 4k TV
    Steam ID: MartinMWWebb

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMWWebb View Post
    AMD marketing never seems to live up to the end product.
    The marketing for Vega fell flat for sure, but Polaris and it's refreshes and the previous gen Ryzen marketing was as close as you're going to get from any company to real world performance numbers.

It's important not to confuse community hype and rumours with official marketing numbers.
    r5 2600X | Asus RX Vega 56 Strix | 16GB RAM | Fanatec CSL Elite + CSP V3 + TH8A shifter | Next Level Racing Wheel Stand
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Mad LL, MartinMWWebb

Platform
    PC
    I was telling my wife that the demonstrations were surely "cherry-picked" to favor AMD and she asked why I would get so excited about the new chips then...

I explained that the fact that AMD can now beat Intel in *any* single-threaded benchmark (cherry-picked or not) is reason to get excited.

I'm not pre-ordering, but my wallet is just waiting for more use-specific benchmarks. (Also want to see benchmarks with the Intel security mitigation in place)

Test edit.........................................................................
    Last edited by Twinz; 23-06-2019 at 01:36.
    Steam name: z1nonly Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/videos
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 16gb DDR4 @3800 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Asturbo, Silraed

Platform
    PC
    CASE: Define Mini C TG l MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M DH3 l CPU: i5 8600k @4.8 l COOLER: Celsius S24 l GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 @1911 l RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz l SSD: 4x 250GB l OS: Win 10 Pro x64 l WHEEL: Logitech G29 l SHIFTER: Logitech G Driving Force l VR: Oculus Rift CV1 l Screen: LG 55" 4k TV
    Steam ID: MartinMWWebb