Thread: Slowdown to Avoid a Penalty

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Slowdown to Avoid a Penalty

I get this from time to time, probably like most of us.
    Slow Down to Avoid a Penalty. Generally a track limit penalty.
    How long do I need to slow down for, a roll off of throttle or a full slow down.
    Does anyone know, how much, and how long.
    Any help appreciated

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    It depends on how much time you gained during the incident. I find I can guess it quite often and avoid the race director intervening.

The penalty algorithm aims to calculate how much the illegal move will have gained and so long as you give that amount back you won't get the dinger.

An example of this is that lifting when off track will often avoid the dinger as overall no time is gained during the incident.
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    If you want notice of an infraction having taken place to give you an opportunity to pay the time back to avoid the penalty you can use the HUD split time widget. This will stop showing time gained or lost and revert to showing all zeros at the moment of the infraction.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by schroda View Post
    I get this from time to time, probably like most of us.
    Slow Down to Avoid a Penalty. Generally a track limit penalty.
    How long do I need to slow down for, a roll off of throttle or a full slow down.
    Does anyone know, how much, and how long.
    Any help appreciated
    This is so extremely inconsistent, so actually nobody has absolutely any idea how much it is needed to slow down, some times it requires an eternity and other times it requires zero time. You have two options IMHO, either test each corner to learn how much time you are required to slow down in each one, or simply disable the track limits penalties. You are racing offline I guess, so you can police yourself, just turn it off and save yourself the unnecessary bother.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Asturbo, Bliman

Platform
    PC
    My feeling is that ignoring these penalties is overall the best strategy. Sometimes it will go away without time penalty even if I do not slow down. Sometimes it will go away from normal braking for the next corner. Sometimes it will give me a time penalty, but usually 1 s, rarely 2, only once I got 4. I haven't measured it, but my feeling is that in most cases the time penalty is much less damaging that time lost slowing down and then accelerating back.

But I agree there should be clear info on how much you need to slow down and for how long, or some sort of clock which tells you time lost compared to your normal pace and a target, i.e., how much time you must lose for the penalty to go away.

Another information that is missing is the time period within which you have to serve the slowdown penalty before you get the time penalty, seems very inconsistent and worse: unknown (unlike the "give position back" penalty).
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Asturbo, Bliman, cpcdem, Silraed