Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to drive Formula C?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

How to drive Formula C?

Howdy!

I got this Project Cars thingy about a week ago. Got meself a G29 wheel for the Ďputer and now Iíve finished the first beginner championships plus Clio Cup, moving on to Formula C.

Problem is, I canít figure how to drive these cars fast. Seems like they donít want to turn in, and mid to late corner the back comes charging like a rabid Ďcoon.

So far Iíve figured carrying more speed into the corner helps the turn in with more downforce, and then you can balance the car with the throttle. Except, itís hard to control and Iím drifting too much to be fast. Think 2.10 at Brno is the best Iíve managed.

I donít want to play with the setup just yet. I donít think itís a good idea to engineer away drivers problems. Default setup should be good for much better lap times. Plus, some of the setups Iíve seen are ridiculous - like making the car soft as a family saloon.

Do you have any advice for driving these things properly? Like, how theyíre actually supposed to be driven? I might add that I have similar issues with the 911 GT3 (road version).

Have you tried the stable setup, every car has at least two options of "default" setup, one for wheel and one for gamepad, the gamepad one is basically safer (more understeer biased). I just tried a couple of laps with a gamepad around Brno in TT and it feels much the same as I remember from the last time I drove it with a wheel, just less oversteer. For normal events, make sure you have the tyres up to temperature and in the right pressure range before going for it.

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - Gigabyte GM-M6880X Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    Have you tried the stable setup, every car has at least two options of "default" setup, one for wheel and one for gamepad, the gamepad one is basically safer (more understeer biased). I just tried a couple of laps with a gamepad around Brno in TT and it feels much the same as I remember from the last time I drove it with a wheel, just less oversteer. For normal events, make sure you have the tyres up to temperature and in the right pressure range before going for it.
    Yep, I’m using the stable setup with one click stiffer front suspension and slightly lower tyre pressure to get the tyres to heat up better.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregow View Post
    Howdy!

I got this Project Cars thingy about a week ago. Got meself a G29 wheel for the ‘puter and now I’ve finished the first beginner championships plus Clio Cup, moving on to Formula C.

Problem is, I can’t figure how to drive these cars fast. Seems like they don’t want to turn in, and mid to late corner the back comes charging like a rabid ‘coon.

So far I’ve figured carrying more speed into the corner helps the turn in with more downforce, and then you can balance the car with the throttle. Except, it’s hard to control and I’m drifting too much to be fast. Think 2.10 at Brno is the best I’ve managed.

I don’t want to play with the setup just yet. I don’t think it’s a good idea to engineer away drivers problems. Default setup should be good for much better lap times. Plus, some of the setups I’ve seen are ridiculous - like making the car soft as a family saloon.

Do you have any advice for driving these things properly? Like, how they’re actually supposed to be driven? I might add that I have similar issues with the 911 GT3 (road version).
    Try adding df to the front, iirc! Formula C.
    Wheel Settings All of My Games (Slow WIP 8/2019)
    PC's used during WMD 2
    PC 1 Win 10 Home 64bit MSI 970 Gamer/FX-8350(4.2), 16GB Crucial, Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC (MSI AfterBurner 1100 and 1425)
    PC 2 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime X370-Pro/Ryzen 7 1700X 3.77 GHz, 32 GB Corsair Veng 3200 @ 2933,
    MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 120/89/137/425)
    PC 3 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)

Monitor LG 29" Ultrawide 2560x1080
    Steam, Origin, Uplay, and Epic (GTsimms)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by GTsimms View Post
    Try adding df to the front, iirc! Formula C.
    I don’t want to adjust the setup before knowing how to drive the car properly.

Platform
    PC
    I don't know Project Cars' Formula C but some sim cars are almost undriveable with default setup. I was once doing a "challenge" in Ferrari 458 Italia in Assetto Corsa and it would horribly understeer. AFAIR I was able to tame it mostly with tire pressure, lowering in the front (though it made the car a bit more wobbly) and increasing in the rear.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    IMO, this particular car is just wrong in the game, there have been many threads about it. Yeah, try to get used to it, but don't blame yourself if you do not manage to, this particular car, I don't think you will ever feel at home with it. My advice, there are so many other fantastic cars in the game, so just move on as soon as you can.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Adjusting the car's setup is a good thing especially taking into account that some of the default setups suck. To me adjusting the car's setup is an important step to make the car fit my driving style and consequently make the car easier to drive and easier to achieve faster lap times.
    Btw Formula C sucks in PCars2, it was much to easier to drive in PCars1.
    The following user likes this Post: MrGold

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I had similar issues at first with the Clio Cup, though I definitely find the Formula C harder to tame. Sort of reminded me of a Peugeot 205 GTI on gravel (which is sort of like going to bed with an axe murderer). Found lots of people saying that the car is messed up and ridiculous setups to keep the rear end planted. After looking into it more I found that the car in the game is actually spot on. You just have to drive it properly. Later apexes, use the over steer to turn in, slam the throttle to straighten out. Great fun to drive.

That's why I intend to get the driving technique sorted first.

I know my driving is bad. Can't feel the car properly, and without the feeling it misbehaves. Just got home from work and after some warmup on Brno I shaved off 3 seconds on my lap time, so it's improving. Still around 7 seconds off the best lap time on default setup. Got similar issues with the 911, and that seems to be a fairly accurate representation of the real thing, so my driving certainly needs improving.

Not saying you're wrong. Formula C may or may not suck in PCars 2, but it seems like a bad idea to start playing with setups when you're far from getting the most out of the car.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Platform
    PC
    Howdy!

I got this Project Cars thingy about a week ago. Got meself a G29 wheel for the ‘puter and now I’ve finished the first beginner championships plus Clio Cup, moving on to Formula C.

Problem is, I can’t figure how to drive these cars fast. Seems like they don’t want to turn in, and mid to late corner the back comes charging like a rabid ‘coon.

So far I’ve figured carrying more speed into the corner helps the turn in with more downforce, and then you can balance the car with the throttle. Except, it’s hard to control and I’m drifting too much to be fast. Think 2.10 at Brno is the best I’ve managed.

I don’t want to play with the setup just yet. I don’t think it’s a good idea to engineer away drivers problems. Default setup should be good for much better lap times. Plus, some of the setups I’ve seen are ridiculous - like making the car soft as a family saloon.

Do you have any advice for driving these things properly? Like, how they’re actually supposed to be driven? I might add that I have similar issues with the 911 GT3 (road version).
    I'm currently working on making setups for this car.

What you describe, that it wont turn, and then suddenly snaps is known as chronic understeer syndrome. It is waaaaayyyy too understeery and very easy to overdrive a corner with default setups (meaning you turn the steering wheel way too much and thus cause that spin/snap midcorner or exit).

I'm already making huge progress with the setup and have made the cure 1000% better but it still needs a bit more tweaking. Once I think I have a really solid basic setup I'll post it here.

There are several cars in the game that have this same problem with the default setups. The Caterham SP300R is one of them. It too doesn't want to turn properly at first and then just snaps. I've made a solid baseline setup for it if anybody is interested.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: lokpes, MrGold