Thread: Clio Cup - is it my setup or are the AI too fast?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Clio Cup - is it my setup or are the AI too fast?

I've been playing pc2 for a few months now, mostly getting the feel for it in career mode, I started out with the Ginetta Juniors and then went on to the Ginetta Gt5's and throughout this I found that an AI skill of 100 and aggression of around 60 gave me a good fair race with a good chance of a podium finish.

Now that I have moved over to the Clio Cup cars I have found myself really struggling to keep up with the AI, I'm about 3 seconds off of the pace. My best valid lap on Brands Hatch Indy is 52.000, my average consistent lap is around 52.5 and most of the AI are around 49 seconds. I find it impossible to keep the same line and pace as any of the AI in most corners especially Paddock Hill bend & around the Surtees complex. I'm finding that after around 5 laps my front left tire is getting pretty hot and is loosing grip.

Anyone have any advice on improving my setup to control tyre temperature & also help me pick up the pace a little?

My setup is based on the stable setup, I have changed the rake balance to 65/35, rear toe to 0.1, lowered the suspension by 5mm all round, and softened the rear slow bump by 2 steps which seemed to help reduce the lift off oversteer.

I've also noticed that when loading the race where the best laps are shown on the bottom right of the screen that the world record lap for the car & track is 50 seconds, this would lead me to think that the AI are unrealistically good with this car and circuit combo?

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, 49 seconds is unrealistically good, there have been 1000 best times registered in this track in time trial and the best is still 50 seconds: http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.c...cle=3646257473 It's a common thing with the AI, in some corners they are very slow and in some others are superhumanly fast, need to live with this, it's the same in every racing game.

My suggestion for the setup is to put tire pressures to minimum (a little higher for the rears) and increase the preload in the diff, this will also make the lift off oversteer more manageable, a value like 150 should be enough. Don't try to further remove it, because you need it to make the car turn, just control it with the throttle, lift for rotating and full throttle to grip back.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for that, i'm glad that I'm not struggling as much as I first thought. I've tried your suggestions regarding the Tyre pressures & diff, but unfortunately I didn't like the feel, it felt vague and heavy. I actually set everything back to stock settings and started again. I settled with lowering the tyre pressures by 0.1 bar at the front and 0.05 bar at the back, set the brake balance to 60/40 & the rear toe to +0.1. After a few more laps I shaved around 0.6 seconds off of my best lap time & the front left is staying at a decent temperature for longer.

I've since been progressively lowering the AI skill and have now got it to a point where I have to work hard to qualify in the top 5, I think i'll leave it there for now.
    Last edited by Ryan Parle; 29-07-2019 at 19:52.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: blinkngone, cpcdem

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    ...it's the same in every racing game.
    Some lack these symptoms almost completely. Automobilista AI comes to mind. Though to be fair, I haven't driven all the cars there yet but the AI really solid and extremely fun to race against. Definitely the benchmark in simulators.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
    Some lack these symptoms almost completely. Automobilista AI comes to mind. Though to be fair, I haven't driven all the cars there yet but the AI really solid and extremely fun to race against. Definitely the benchmark in simulators.
    Yeap, agree about AMS, it stands out, I should had excluded it. And I can also not speak about F1 games, early versions had very unbalanced AI, but maybe it's fine now.

Platform
    PC
    It'll be interesting to see how Automobilista 2 will shape up with the Madness engine. I suspect the AI was so good in Automobilista due to the pure perseverance and stubborness of the coders. The guys just demand "perfection" of everything so they forced the rFactor AI to work (even though rF1 itself has AI all over the place in most iterations of the engine). Lets hope they manage to massage the madness engine AI stuff into an awesome experience.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I’m guessing the AI times are in qualifying? My times at Brands Hatch with the Clio Cup are about the same as yours, and I struggled to qualify first. Then the real race was too easy...

This seems like a big problem with the AI, unfortunately.

By the way, the default setup here is quite good. I just adjusted the fuel a bit. Rear tire temps is a real problem with these cars, as with other fwd cars. It’s how they work and should not be a big problem. You should be dragging the back end through corners by planting your right foot, and the lively back end should help you with tight turn ins.
    Not saying the default setup can’t be improved, but it is driving like it should. You can find some good videos on YouTube showing real Clio Cup cars and one Clio Cup driver trying it in PCars 2...

The AI is just unrealistic, so don’t fret over it. Compare yourself to human drivers. And I would think a couple of seconds from the record is quite OK.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: blinkngone, cpcdem