Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow racers with good rating, how?

Platform
    PC

Slow racers with good rating, how?

My current Skill Rating hovers between high 1400 and low 1500, with Safety Rating A, hopefully on my way towards S.

So far in my experience Skill Rating seemed to reflect driver abilities pretty well. I mean, typically I have almost no chance with the 1600-1700 folks, I struggle and often lose to 1500s and many 1400s, and I often win with 1100-1200s etc.

But today I was in a 30-lap race in Barcelona with two guys who, based on their Skill Rating, should be similar to me or more likely better. Before the race one was AFAIR very high 1500, almost 1600, the other one I think just above 1500.

I expected a close fight... but I completely smashed them, I won with the faster guy by one lap and 27 seconds, and with the slower one by three laps and 81 seconds. My best lap was 1.4 s and 4.2 s faster than theirs, and I wasn't even pushing much because I wasn't under pressure to push.

Any idea how could they be so slow with a decent safety rating? There was nothing particularly difficult or unusual about the race: Barcelona, good weather, Ginetta LMP3 so not a difficult car. The race was long which may make some people tired after a while, but they were clearly slower than me from the very beginning.

Once in my life I did experience something like that, when I easily beat a professional car racer in a kart race, but she was a drag racer, so obviously not that great at taking corners. But there is no drag racing in PC2, so what would explain the two guys in Barcelona?

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by PawelK View Post
    ... so what would explain the two guys in Barcelona?
    Out of their depth in a prototype?
    Some of these guys run 3-5 lap races often in GT cars at tracks they're familiar with. Qualify in front and run away with it.
    Or they consistently have podium finishes and never quit, or avoid trouble for a good finish.
    Put them in a car they're unfamiliar with and they're fish out of water.

But wait, there's more!
    They could have had setup trouble from quali to race (there's a UI glitch where you should reload your setup before the race start). Or they just couldn't get the tyres dialled in. The track surface and tyre temp/pressure reaction is very complex. If the track temperature switched, say hot to hotter but your cooling was borderline initially - you'll have car problems to finish.
    Choosing the wrong compounds, or pressure.
    There could be a lot of factors and I've just listed a few i thought of.
    Last edited by hkraft300; 11-08-2019 at 10:48.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: PawelK

Platform
    PC
    I've noticed quite a few people with 1500 or 1600 ratings that just aren't comfortable in any other car than GT3 or GTE class. I've raced against some of these in normal Road E or Road D class vehicles.. and sometimes the trackday A or B stuff and immediately they are way off the pace.. like several seconds per lap.

Then when I race them in GT3 or GTE class I get my ass handed to me and I'm the one 2 seconds off the pace.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, PawelK

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Maybe they were just AIs? They are notorious for being extremely slow in online races. If their names resembled real names and not usernames, this was probably the case.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Maybe they were just AIs? .
    AI don't have ratings like we do in MP. Theirs are blank.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    No, if anyone's name resembled a real name it was only mine, as I race under my real name (because of SRS and being too lazy to create 2 Steam accounts and to switch between them). Their names looked like typical gamer nicknames and yes, AI wouldn't have rating at all.

Probably it was a combination of factors that hcraft300 and bmanic listed, though still perplexing especially for the slower guy. 3 laps and 80 seconds that's almost 7 minutes if I am correct, 13% of the race time. That's A LOT. (though I just checked my records and the drag racer in that kart race was also 13% slower than me )

I would think that general race craft translates between cars to some degree, unless the new/unknown car is really hard to drive. And I find prototypes not that hard, in particular LMP3. It could be though that they fit my style while are harder for other people.

Maybe they put wets on, because any other tire choice would not harm them that much, I mean I drove the entire 53-min race on a single set of softs. Even with wets, I once made a setup mistake and drove a (shorter) race with wets in the front and soft slicks in the back in a formula car (A or Renault, I think) and I wasn't that much off-pace.

They may have lost time having not prepared their pitstop wisely and doing a lot of unnecessary repairs and spending times taking unnecessary fuel, but they both pitted on the last lap and were seriously slower throughout the race.

Anyway, it was a curious case from online multiplayer. They bumped my skill rating up very nicely, so I can be happy until some real racers wipe the floor with me again
    Last edited by PawelK; 11-08-2019 at 17:17.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    Haha, as an illustration that AI don't have rating I pulled a screenshot from an earlier race, and I noticed I kind of pulled off a similar feat in Barcelona before, beating a 1600 guy, that time in GT3. But this was actually different and much more "normal", he was 1-3 seconds behind me throughout the race, he just spun out in the last sector of the last lap. Probably decided to gamble and push very hard risking a spin or crash but hoping to catch me if he pulls it off. In the LMP race even the faster driver was losing a few seconds per lap all the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67520889_2786342068059760_7143386935237541888_o.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	272074

Platform
    PS4
    Fast GT drivers, for some reason, struggle in LMP cars. Personally I find the LMP cars easy but there are fast LMP drivers doing wild times. I'm 4-6 seconds/lap slower than the fastest GT racers and about the same for the fastest LMP racers.
    The performance rating though is generally pretty indicative of relative pace. It's rare for me to beat 1700+ guys and for me to be beaten by 1500> guys.
    The 1600 range is fairly even, and some GT racers in ~1600 may kick my arse by seconds/lap but I'll beat them in any LMP car.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bmanic, PawelK

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Maybe, as starting point is 1500, they had only just got the game and done a couple of ranked races in relatively easy lobbies, getting their rating higher than it should be.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bmanic, PawelK

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    From my own Experience, i am one of the few drivers that if u put me in anything else then GT3, GTE , LMP car i am very slow, because i cannot get tyres to work at all and miss my braking points alot.
    Even the tyre difference in GT3 will make my pace be a bit different.

I do not call myself specifically a bad driver but an average one.
    Rating is around S1800.
    Edited: Example: On Hockenheim GT3 car with Soft Tyres i can do laptimes Low 1:39 high 1:38 - When its 40 Degree temp.
    if i bolt the hard tyres on with that temp (below 45 Degrees) i cannot seem to get hard tyres in the working temp and i keep sliding around(feels like hard tyres wont go up to working temp at all while being coloured green) and the laptimes go low 1:40 to mid 1:40, this already shows the inconsistancy between my qualifying vs my racing pace.
    Only bonus i have is i keep doing consistant laptimes so if its a 10 lap race all my laptimes apart from lap 1 are in the low 1:40 or mid 1:40 while most people around me are doing inconsistant laptimes.
    Last edited by AsuraDeva; 04-09-2019 at 22:58.