Thread: cannot go over 60fps on valve index

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

cannot go over 60fps on valve index

hi guys,tried everything...
    i am on a i7 8700 with 1080ti and valve index on 120hz.
    i tried lower all to minimum but fps stay locked to 60 also if my gpu use is like 60%...
    i tried also changing the hz on the index and the result is that if i chose 90hz the game runs no more than 45 and if i choose 80hz it goes to 40fps.
    i am really getting crazy on this, no v sync, disinstalled riva tuner, refreshed n vidia setting and put power output to maximum performance but nothing.
    For AC and ACC it works.
    please any idea on what i happening, is a limitation of the index?!?

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    It is the Motion Smoothing that halves your refresh rate and creates next frame out of its hat (guessing it from the previous frames) to make sure that you don't get stuttering. It is same kind of technology as the Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW) on Oculus.

Only way to "fix" it effectively without getting bad stuttering is to lower the details so that you get that true 120 fps ingame.

I have had to turn the details approximately to medium ingame, MSAA antialiasing on Low, and 114% supersampling/custom resolution for Project CARS 2 in SteamVR. Make sure to check that custom resolution under SteamVR 'Video' settings is on 100% and not 150%, as the SteamVR's game and the video values are added together causing higher SS level than expected.

I also run the refresh rate under SteamVR Video settings at 80 Hz to make it is less heavy for the GPU.
    Last edited by MrTulip; 13-08-2019 at 10:43.
    Intel i9-9900K | Asus Z390-H mobo | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia RTX-2080ti | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | TH8A H-shifter | Valve Index | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    if i select 80hz as refresh of the index instead of 90 or 120 or 144 my fps goes to 40...and the motion smoothing is disabled

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Yes, there is also the reprojection aka timewarp that also splits framerates. Just put everything on low settings and see if that cures it for you (also antialiasing off). Then work your settings up from there.

And really really make sure that you have 100% on SteamVR side on both the Video settings and the game settings. And ingame supersampling settings also to 1.0 if it wasn't already.

SteamVR will split your FPS only when your computer runs out of oomph or when you enforce it to run at halfrate with motion smoothing on. Since you seem to be new to VR, you should know that Index requires much more from the computer than, say Oculus Rift CV1 or S, since it has higher resolution. But VR generally is very taxing on the system, and it is often very time consuming to find proper settings to get the games to run without missing any frames.

Note that you can see when either reprojection or motion smoothing is on by running Display GPU performance graph in headset option under SteamVR Developer settings. Green is full framerate, Yellow graph means motions smoothing is on (you start seeing artifacts in the image) and Red means that reprojection is on (the image gets fuzzy). One of the latter two are triggered every time the goal fps is not met. Also every time this state changes you get additional hiccups in the fps ingame. Therefore it is vital that you can keep the full gps or stay permanently at halved framerate by enforcing motion smoothing on for the game in the SteamVR settings.

For instance, I have a RTX-2080ti and a high end CPU and I still have to run many settings at medium or low if I want to keep 80 fps on the first lap of races in all conditions.

My current main settings are:
    SteamVR resolution sliders: Video global 100%, Project CARS 2 114%, ingame supersampling settings at 1.0
    MSAA low
    environmental medium
    reflections medium
    cars high
    track ultra
    shadows medium
    grass low

For you I'd suggest just for the starters:
    SteamVR resolution sliders: Video global 100%, Project CARS 2 100%, ingame supersampling settings at 1.0
    MSAA low
    environmental low
    reflections low
    cars medium
    track medium
    shadows low
    grass low or off

If you raise these levels, do it for cars and track to begin with as those have the most visual impact in the game. Please note that msaa, environmental, reflections and shadows are the most consuming settings for the video card, yet they do not provide much in eye candy on higher settings in VR. Don't bother trying post processing AA methods instead of MSAA, none of them work in VR to my knowledge (I've tried some).

Also try running in practice mode in clear weather and daytime to ensure that you can get full fps without any AI opponents first. I just recently changed my CPU and confirmed observation that more AI opponents requires more from CPU, especially on the first lap when there is more colliding going on. Graphical settings affecting GPU don't have big impact on that, but one can turn AI aggression to lower level to prevent some fps dips on the first laps.
    Last edited by MrTulip; 14-08-2019 at 07:12.
    Intel i9-9900K | Asus Z390-H mobo | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia RTX-2080ti | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | TH8A H-shifter | Valve Index | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4
    The following 3 users likes this Post: logos, luciodoc, Skylar_Schutz