Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Realistic Handling Cars Out of the Box???

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Most Realistic Handling Cars Out of the Box???

Hi Everyone! I'm new to Sim Racing and to Project Cars 2. Actually, I'm a retired Engineer, and the last time I raced simulators was in the '80s and '90s, before the internet existed. But now that I have the time, I decided to check up on the latest Sim state of the art, and decided to build a new PC and Sim Rig.

Over the past several decades, I have owned several 'exotic' road cars, and one of my cars now is a 2018 Porsche GT3. I'm still breaking it in, and I haven't tracked it. But after downloading Project Cars 2, as my first Racing Sim, and (finally) getting all my controls set up and working properly, I decided to try the GT3 with Laguna Seca, where I've often been for the Monterey Historic Races.

I was REALLY disappointed to see how poorly the car seemed to handle corners.... seems like it sometimes is like a Model T rail with no suspension. Seems like you sometimes have to tip-toe around the tight ones too slowly like on ice. Not realistic, IMO, compared to my real GT3. I'm not thinking of the feeling of the brakes or steering FFB, just the speed I seem to be able to take some turns.

As an Engineer, I understand, at least to some extent, how Sims tend to model cars, suspension, tires, etc. in different ways. I don't recall how PC2 specifically does it. But of course, I understand that handling in sims depends upon not just car modeling, but also track modeling... even apart from FFB. Here on the forums, I've seen some suggested car setups, and also a prominent suspension spreadsheet tool. But I don't really want to take the time to try to dial in suspension, tires, etc for cars I decide I'll want to drive. So here's my question and thanks for reading my background to this point:

Apart from tracks, overall, which Cars in PC2 do you feel most realistically model actual cars, as far as handling, Out of the Box?? Again, not concerned with how well they model FFB, for instance, although I know FFB will help drivers detect how suspension and tires are reacting to your inputs. As a Final Note; I'm mostly interested in On-Road Cars or Racing Versions of these cars, such as GT3, GT4, etc.

Although I appreciate ANY input, so thanks for any feedback!! Appreciated.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    Hi and welcome to the PCars 2 forums. On PC you can go to Time Trial and share peoples setups so you can get an idea of what people are adjusting in the setup pages.

Sorry about this one, in this game you are going to have to invest the time to adjust the tire pressures to get the GT3 cars to respond favorably, no getting around this. Everyone has their own preference but for me the Huracan is the most forgiving in the GT3 class. You can get an idea about the performance of a particular car/track combination by checking the WMD Portal. http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.c...cle=1153746660

The Loose setup Power Ramp angle is 45, the Stable setup angle is 70. Which setup have you been trying?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pCARS2 2019-08-15 18-29-01-35.jpg  

pCARS2 2019-08-15 18-29-24-56.jpg  

Last edited by blinkngone; 15-08-2019 at 22:41.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Hi and welcome to the PCars 2 forums. On PC you can go to Time Trial and share peoples setups so you can get an idea of what people are adjusting in the setup pages.
    Thanks for the reply and advice! I just opened the stock GT3 RS and selected Laguna Seca, and have used it for a total of less than 2hrs so far.

Rick

Platform
    PC
    Hi, sorry, my bad. I assumed you were asking about the racing versions, GT3 and GT4. Ok, for the RS you have OEM, Loose and Stable as your setup choices. Your tire pressures should be 2.1 to 2.2 Hot. OEM has the Rear ARB at 38, Loose at 60. It's important to know what setup you are using. With OEM you get the Pirelli Medium tire. With Stable and Loose you get the Pirelli Soft tire, makes a difference.
    Last edited by blinkngone; 16-08-2019 at 00:31.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Platform
    PS4
    Sims have come a long way mate. Pc2 partnered with Pirelli to develop the tyre performance in the game.
    Blink already mentioned above there's seconds of lap time between the loose/stable and oem.
    Also for track driving, the Oem tyre pressures generally get too high too quick, and you'll lose grip that way.
    For comparison with a stock real life car (as you might own), you'd want the oem setup and in the sim You want a hot pressure ~2.2 bar on street cars. If you don't smash kerbs in the sim (drive like it's your own car that you don't want to break), its likely your lap times in pc2 will be bang on with real life lap times.

If you're not in VR it's possible your perception of corner radius may be skewed (thereby your sense of speed). There are logging and telemetry apps available that'll give you the data you'd want and understand in evaluating the accuracy of the sim car's performance to real life.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: blinkngone

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Hi, sorry, my bad. I assumed you were asking about the racing versions, GT3 and GT4. Ok, for the RS you have OEM, Loose and Stable as your setup choices. Your tire pressures should be 2.1 to 2.2 Hot. OEM has the Rear ARB at 38, Loose at 60. It's important to know what setup you are using. With OEM you get the Pirelli Medium tire. With Stable and Loose you get the Pirelli Soft tire, makes a difference.
    Thanks blinkngone! I just finished my Rig and had only 2hrs testing with 1 monitor when I first posted. But later today, I finally have my 3-monitor setup working, and the wider view really does help with view and judging of corners. I'm not using any driver aids like traction control, but I've decided to use paddles for shifting for now to avoid extra distractions to handling assessments. Normally I always use manual shifter. I appreciate the feedback & help!

Platform
    XBOX1
    Interesting that you find the car feels like driving on ice. Normally I'd say check track temps and tyre compound but Laguna Seca surely is a track where it shouldn't take long to get your tyres up to the right pressure and temps.
    So, driving on ice means you spin out quite often I guess. Not sure why you decided to turn off TCS and ABS. In my opinion the best thing to do is to set your in-game settings to 'real' and use whatever that car has in real life. I myself don't drive street cars very often, but when I do I turn off stability control via the ICM (in-car management) because I don't like how it feels, maybe you should give that a go.
    Still, the GT3 RS is by far my favourite street car. I've never driven a real GT3 RS so I have no idea how it should handle, but I think this car is a blast to drive on the Nordschleife and I'll try Laguna Seca tonight. I've never felt like I'm driving on ice with this car, though.

Also, check out Yorkie's YouTube channel. He basically explains the game, tons of useful advices there. --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...jV202AqGiK1PLQ

'
    Last edited by rich1e I; 16-08-2019 at 15:24.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Maskmagog, Zaskarspants

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I suggest you are using too much right and or left foot if you keep spinning. All Sims lack g forces and much else but surely that loss must the hardest to adapt to so if you are new to modern sims I suggest you try driving lower power race cars at first to get the feel of driving in a sim before trying heavy powerful road cars with slippery road tyres.

Fwiw I recently put in many laps with this car in a time trial competition and I recall I found it a challenging but exciting drive. It was easy to loose the back and spin.
    Last edited by Zaskarspants; 16-08-2019 at 16:25.
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com

Platform
    PC
    I just s skimmed this, but if you are doing "practice", the tires start out ice cold and with very little grip.

Both Time Trial and races start with the tires already up to temp. If you want to just practice with the car but not spend an entire lap getting the tires up to temp, just set up a race with no opponents and 100 laps.

I have driven one of these that runs in its street (stock) class in autocross. I think the owner just put better tires on the car. (RE71's) I thought the game did a pretty good job with it myself.
    Steam name: z1nonly
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 32gb DDR4 @3600 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks Everyone for the input and advice! I also suspected that tire pressures, at least, were too high. Didn't have a chance to drive today, but I'm sure I'll have time over the weekend. I am in the US, BTW. I'm also sure some of my problem is just getting used to the feel of pedal inputs, esp. brakes, and used to 'cues' that I'm getting from the FFB. Thanks again. PS - If anybody has other suggestions for other racing versions of street cars such as Lamborghini, R8 or others, would be interested in suggestions.