Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about physics

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PawelK View Post
    Yeah, I rarely watch the gauge that closely in race, and I think PC2 does not show it in replays (unlike AC, which [optionally] does, like here I have nice throttle blips e.g. when braking for Druids, which I did not do myself, it was the game's auto-blip)

That's probably the explanation. I do have autoclutch enabled in PC2 (not in AC, because it prevents using clutch for launches there). Maybe I'll try some driving without it, though on the other hand it will be weird with a sequential paddle shifter, which for now is my only way to change gears in sims. Also I typically keep my left foot on the brake and use it for braking, as I do in karting and also in road cars with automatic gearbox, with or without sequential shifters. Only if I get a manual rental I switch to right-foot braking. Maybe I'll do more of that in PC2 when (if?) I buy an H-shifter.
    You don't need to use the clutch to shift after you are moving. Just use the paddles. (I think the car will stall if you go from idle to first without using the clutch /or a lot of throttle.)
    Steam name: z1nonly
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 32gb DDR4 @3600 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Platform
    PS4
    That's probably the explanation. I do have autoclutch enabled in PC2 (not in AC, because it prevents using clutch for launches there). Maybe I'll try some driving without it, though on the other hand it will be weird with a sequential paddle shifter, which for now is my only way to change gears in sims. Also I typically keep my left foot on the brake and use it for braking, as I do in karting and also in road cars with automatic gearbox, with or without sequential shifters. Only if I get a manual rental I switch to right-foot braking. Maybe I'll do more of that in PC2 when (if?) I buy an H-shifter.
    If you have a clutch pedal there's no reason for auto clutch.
    I use the clutch pedal for launch then flat shift in sequential race cars, and I blip the throttle/lift for stick shift cars (I don't have h-shift).
    If you have a clutch pedal, turn off auto clutch (or use it only for stick cars).
    If you don't have a clutch pedal, map a button to auto clutch so you can turn it on for launch then turn it off once you're moving.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    Thanks. I have a clutch. My original plan was to ultimately get an H-shifter/sequential lever shifter, but so far has not happened. Still I am happy I got 3 pedals even now, for launches.

I'll try driving with auto-clutch off next time.

Platform
    PS4
    .. .

I'll try driving with auto-clutch off next time.
    If you don't time your down shifts correctly, the amg (and a few other cars) will still spin you with auto clutch off.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    If you don't time your down shifts correctly, the amg (and a few other cars) will still spin you with auto clutch off.
    Might be a good opportunity to learn to time them correctly ;-). I'll see how it goes.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
    I thought GT3 cars had clutch pedals.
    AFAIK they do not. They can manually engage the clutch as it is possible also in Formula 1 cars, but that's for special circumstances and drivers certainly do not engage it manually per gear change, as it happens in PCARS2 with autoclutch on.

Platform
    PS4
    Might be a good opportunity to learn to time them correctly ;-). I'll see how it goes.
    Some cars have handling quirks, like the lift off oversteer of the formula rookie.
    Makes each car unique and interesting to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    ... , as it happens in PCARS2 with autoclutch on.
    Point was that they do have a clutch (engaged with paddles or whatever if a physical foot pedal is missing).
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Some cars have handling quirks, like the lift off oversteer of the formula rookie.
    Makes each car unique and interesting to drive.
    Indeed it does. I tried a few, and for example Lotus 49 requires quite precise foot work both on upshifts and downshifts. I mean, failing to blip gas on downshift is quite likely to induce a spin, lack of lifting on upshift only makes a nasty noise. But I guess in the longer run may kill the engine. Rookie appears more forgiving, but blip on downshift helps.

In general it is fun, and makes me think even more of getting H-shifter and learning to heel&toe properly :-)
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I wonder how much an H-shifter would help with the feeling of weirdness I get from using manual clutch. With the paddles I just can’t stand it. It feels off and wrong and weird.

Part of it, I think, is because there’s no feel in the clutch pedal and you can’t feel the engine not driveline. In a real car you just know instinctively how to engage the clutch and throttle, and you can tell right away if you’re being smooth or not. It’s also a lot easier to tell if your brake pressure is even when heel-toeing.

Another thing though is the timing. There’s a certain rhythm/timing and syncing of the feet and hand when shifting a real stick. This is all wrong with paddles, and I suppose an H-shifter would alleviate that.
    The following user likes this Post: PawelK

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregow View Post
    ... . There’s a certain rhythm/timing and syncing of the feet and hand when shifting a real stick. This is all wrong with paddles, and I suppose an H-shifter would alleviate that.
    Ye I tried clutch+pedals and I hate it.
    H-shift I think will work in a sim (even while lacking the "clutch feel" which actually a feeling from the driven wheels and not the clutch pedal itself) because of the timing.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10