Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: man, pc2 career mode really is a glorified list of races to grind through

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

man, pc2 career mode really is a glorified list of races to grind through

I'd love to know... SMS made the decision to set up the career mode this way because they assume people want it that way. Does anyone on this forum agree that career mode is designed well?

I'd love to hear from someone in SMS as to what was the logic with the design, and if this design will be persisted in pCARS3 - what does "more fun" mean?

What's prompting me to whine about this again, I wanted to see the manufacturer drives would get you. I'm the in lambo tropheo championship, so I get the manufacturer invitation. I just want to see what happens once I "pass" the manufacturer drives. I put the AI down to 20% - i just want to get through it. Do I get invited to be in the lamborghini GT3 team in career mode? (GT3 is one tier above the supertropheo championship)

nope. All it does is unlock more random races. It has 0 effect on your career.

I'll go ahead and say career mode is not a simulation of a professional driver's career at all. It's just an arcade mode, really, with sim physics. Hence the scripted weather. Hence being able to pick whatever car you want. Just get 3rd or better in the career and boom, you can advance. And by advance, it just means unlock more random races. The higher tiers at their core, is just a list of races - not a simulation of a career.

The reward for doing well in an under-powered car with the AI set at a competitive level is exactly zero. Want to advance? just turn the AI down, get 3rd or better, and advance.

Shouldn't the sim aspect of the game extend to the design of the career mode?
    The following 8 users likes this Post: Bliman, bmanic, breyzipp, chastewand, Ixoye56, Keena, REXPITVIPER1, sas5320

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Well put, and is the singular reason why other racing titles remain on my radar. If SMS can make career mode consequence based, immersive and rewarding, theyll have my customer loyalty nailed. Otherwise I fear that as soon as a certain F1 franchise goes VR then the question becomes one of where can my single player immersion factor be best satisfied.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I agree with you, it is really a glorified bunch of races. However, I do kind of like it (and would have done more if it wasn't for the Xbox/AI/Physics issues).

I think you're right, simply integrating manufacturer drives into the main career (even something as simple as unlocking factory liveries) would go a long way to increased immersion.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I actually preferred PC1 career mode , I liked how only a few are available and you unlock others depending on your progress. They could of built on this where when you enter GT3 you are offered a drive with a smaller team and eventually teams like AF Corsa or some of the factory teams are available based on achievements and safety rating etc.
    I’d like to see you lose your seat also if you fail to meet expectations , Take FIFA for an example : pick a team like Everton and you would be expected to finish top half , or if you fancy yourself and the pressure a team like Man City and Win the league and Champions league.
    This weight of expectation and importance of race results puts an added pressure and therefore elation or despair depending on your results.
    The following 6 users likes this Post: chastewand, hkraft300, Keena, sisollazzo, Stewy32, Tank621

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I mean... it's not the most well thought out single player mode in terms of creativity but the meat & bones are there in the sense of having a plethora of classes to race in. That is what is most important to me even though you can argue that you can just simulate any career mode race/class in the quick play feature and you wouldn't be wrong.
    GT Planet username: Kart_Forever

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I agree with you, it's not fun at all, I wish they had offer a custom offline championship option instead, I also preferred PC1 career mode.
    Last edited by Ixoye56; 22-08-2019 at 14:21.
    Sorry for my bad English
    XBOX ONE X Thrustmaster TX with TM Leather 28 GT - Pedals T3PA - Shifter TH8A - Wheelstand Pro DELUXE V2

Platform
    PC
    Yes it is. And it's so unfortunate.

I still think that somebody should try to make a career mode that takes ALL the most interesting mechanics from a Rogue Like game. Making races and results, heck even practice, have REAL consequences. There should be a currency of some kind for the teams. If you crash during practice, qualifying or the race, there should be consequences! The amount of tires and changes that can be made should be simulated.

The CREW should be simulated with RPG elements. You start from the bottom with unexperienced staff and slowly gain new skills and the currency to hire experienced veterans. There should be CLEAR differences between teams, simulating reliability and sloppy/good pitstops due to team experience.

These things if done well would make it actually FUN. Rogue Like games should have a bunch of subtle RNG elements (random stuff) which would make each career different and thus give the game mode a lot longer longevity.
    Last edited by bmanic; 22-08-2019 at 19:58.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: chastewand, Keena

Platform
    XBOX1
    In my opinion, pCars1 got it right. Not perfect, but good enough that it felt unique, fun, and kept my attention. I don't remember what sort of complaints existed in regards to pCars1's career, but obviously enough existed for SMS to overhaul the mode and turn it into more of a checklist with no real integration of invitationals or manufacturer drives. I enjoyed how invitationals were integrated in pCars1's career. Still, not perfect, but it worked and gave a wonderful sense of a race calendar with one off races sprinkled throughout the year.

Obviously, as Stewy mentioned, the Xbox physics issue killed career mode for me, but honestly, I was losing interest in the mode well before the Xbox issue reared its ugly head. Career felt way too grindy, and not in the fun old school GT grindy kind of way, but the exasperated, tedious kind of way. One of the weirdest decisions to me still was the decision to lock lower classes out until you finished the top tier. Additionally, the inability (if memory serves) to back out of a championship really got me. This was probably the true career killer for me when I was stuck in the, what is it, Supercar Lite series?

Something I would really love to see, and falls in line with what Cholton mentioned is team based objectives as opposed to a singular sweeping objective across all career. What I mean is instead of having to finish third or above in every single series, your expected finish is based on the team you drive for. Maybe they're considered a midpack team and the objective is fifth. Meeting your objective can score you a ride in a better team or a lateral move to a different discipline. Bettering your objective could maybe even score you contracts for better disciplines.

I don't know, maybe that's all too complicated, but is it really? Many games seem to take the approach these days that a racing career needs to be no more complex than a list of races with some check boxes to tick off, but perhaps done up in some fancy UI to make it look like more than meets the eye. I don't know if this is to cater to casuals or achievement hunters who just want to push through career as fast as possible, but to me that's not a career mode. I mean if this is all career mode is going to be, than just give us custom championships and be done with it. Then at least I don't have to do so many races in really stupid conditions.

Career mode should have depth. It should have realistic goals that instill the spirit of racing, not finish in the top three every single time. That just leads to people gaming the system instead of enjoying fantastic lap after lap battles for...let's say 8th position.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: chastewand, Keena, Stewy32

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cxMilk View Post
    In my opinion, pCars1 got it right. Not perfect, but good enough that it felt unique, fun, and kept my attention. I don't remember what sort of complaints existed in regards to pCars1's career, but obviously enough existed for SMS to overhaul the mode and turn it into more of a checklist
    In pCARS1, what made me stop playing. I was in the GT4 national championship. You had to be top 10 or something to make it into the world championship. I made it in, and I figured half the other drivers I got used to battling with would also be there. They qualified too, I assumed. Nope. Whole new set of drivers. Thought it was weird.

Anyway, in the world championship, at a high AI level, I waay outdrove the mustang. All the mustangs were @ the bottom of the field. I was consistently in the top 5. Finish the championship 4th place or something, I don't remember. I expected to be promoted to one of the better GT4 teams in the Ginettas or Astons, the ones that weren't available for me to pick from at the beginning.

Nope. No reward. To advance, I had to bring down the AI so the mustang could beat the better cars. I "won", and was promoted to GT3. I stopped playing after that.

Quote Originally Posted by cxMilk View Post
    Something I would really love to see team based objectives as opposed to a singular sweeping objective across all career. What I mean is instead of having to finish third or above in every single series, your expected finish is based on the team you drive for. Maybe they're considered a midpack team and the objective is fifth. Meeting your objective can score you a ride in a better team or a lateral move to a different discipline. Bettering your objective could maybe even score you contracts for better disciplines.
    Yuuuuup
    The following user likes this Post: chastewand

Platform
    PC
    Basically there needs to be a coherent "narrative" for the career to feel like a career. As mentioned above, when you graduate to another tier of racing or league it would be nice to see some familiar names as opponents. They could even be highlighted and mentioned in some twitter feed / newspaper or whatever. There are so many simple text game (think early 80's text adventures) tricks that could be employed to make even a tiny hint of a narrative and thus create immersion.

Now it literally feels like a simple pre-made spreadsheet and thus has zero immersion.

Mind you, most of these kinds of suggestions were made at a very early stage of pC2 development but for whatever reason it became what it is now.. with fixed weather and all (making replayability zero). This was definitely a part of pC2 where SMS did not listen to the community at all.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: chastewand, sas5320