Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: man, pc2 career mode really is a glorified list of races to grind through

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The omission of the story fluff is fine, as long as immersion is achieved by some other mechanism. Even custom championships is a bit of an ersatz solution imvho. Theres lots of threads with lots of ideas out there and Im not going to recycle all of those, but I do like to feel a sense of investment in my career choices, sense of past and future, value of performance relative to expectation and so on. Do I 'need' it? Of course not. But thats true of gaming full stop. In fact I should be outside chopping wood for the winter.. so on that note I shall step outside (while I leave SH5 TWOS running- now thats an immersive game)
    Last edited by Keena; 14-09-2019 at 12:40.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    Personally I think it's too barebones. There were some great proposals regarding a hardcore career mode that I would've preferred.
    I don't need a "story" like F1 games have though.
    100% Please, no "story". In a racing game, that's so incredibly artificial. That would be like forcing a specific career path on the player - taking away even more choice, making it even MORE of a list of races. To advance the "story" you'd have to beat whatever race you're on. Imagine having to do that, AND having the ability (or worse, the necessity - due to unbalanced AI) to change the AI difficulty from race to race and session to session.

I really hope SMS isn't making that mistake.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Some level of adaptive ai in career would remove the need of the ai slider during career progression.

I don't think the ai is notably unbalanced but some players may conclude it is unbalanced purely because it does not adjust to their own particular spread of skills. Very few drivers are equally good with all tracks and cars, especially given the large number available.

During practice, obligatory for this to work, the adaptive model could set the ai based on your practice performance ensuring each race or qualifying session was as competitive as possible and removing the need to have to adjust the ai level manually.
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskarspants View Post
    Some level of adaptive ai in career would remove the need of the ai slider during career progression.

I don't think the ai is notably unbalanced but some players may conclude it is unbalanced purely because it does not adjust to their own particular spread of skills. Very few drivers are equally good with all tracks and cars, especially given the large number available.

During practice, obligatory for this to work, the adaptive model could set the ai based on your practice performance ensuring each race or qualifying session was as competitive as possible and removing the need to have to adjust the ai level manually.
    Please try doing an experiment, do a race in the short version of Watkins Glenn in any car, don't you see the AI going extremely slow through the carousel, making it very easy to pass them lap after lap? Same in last corner of Long Beach? First corner of Red Bull Ring? I very rarely play offline, but the few times I do, those imbalances become very quickly apparent. If I play again to refresh my memory, I am sure I can give you similar examples where the AI is too fast or too slow through the whole track in some combos.

Not saying it is easy to get this right, all racing games more or less suffer from this problem, and the extreme amount of combos in PCARS2 definitely doesn't help on that matter. Maybe what they could do for PCARS3 is to concentrate on the specific races that are available in career and make sure that at least those ones are very well balanced, in order to make career feel less artificial.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: bmanic, chastewand, sas5320

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaniceday View Post
    100% Please, no "story". In a racing game, that's so incredibly artificial. That would be like forcing a specific career path on the player - taking away even more choice, making it even MORE of a list of races. To advance the "story" you'd have to beat whatever race you're on. Imagine having to do that, AND having the ability (or worse, the necessity - due to unbalanced AI) to change the AI difficulty from race to race and session to session.

I really hope SMS isn't making that mistake.
    Funny how Codemasters managed to pull it off with Grid, even though there wasn't much in the sense of character development.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Well, look what the cat dragged in!

I had to unload my application data for storage reasons, but with a brand spanking new 4TB external drive, that's no longer a problem. Reinstalling, patching, updates, it's going to take me a few, but eh, good to be back. Now, put me down already, Fluffy, sheesh!

Anyway, I have had the chance to look at what else is going on. F1 2019's story segments become much less frequent once you get past the prologue, for better or worse. But, that little extra set dressing, does give you an emotional "in," so I don't think that's wasted. WRC 8 is another one that adds environments, names, and a sense of place and people, which is another way to build emotion.

That said, I only found out how deep the Career mode is in PCARS 2, by looking elsewhere. F1 looks gorgeous, yes, but it also has fewer tracks. I mean, seriously, a few seasons in, I was actually starting to miss Oulton Park, of all places. And Snetterton...and Long Beach...and Watkins Glen...and Bannochbrae...and...

In terms of, types of cars and number of tracks, in a single player campaign...there's just no comparison. And to be honest, that insane level of "stuff to do" is part of what I missed about this series.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, sloppysmusic