Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what programming language does pcars2 use?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

what programming language does pcars2 use?

I'm... not a coder.

But I have an idea of what the career mode could be in this game, so I want to build... not a mod since i think that might be impossible. But like a demo of sorts, of how the career mode ought to be designed, in my ideal game.

So anyway, to code this, I'll need to learn to code. I may as well learn the coding language compatible with pCARS2. Anyone know what it is?

Platform
    PC
    My bet would be C#, but basically I don't know.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Definitely not c#, at least not for the core, it's too slow for that, it's most likely c++ with some critical parts probably in direct machine code. A language like c# would be perfect for the UI part (not critical on speed and much easier to manage c# code than c++), but I am afraid it is probably not used for that either, because I suspect this would be a problem sharing the same code in consoles.

PS. To Javaniceday, why do you need a programming language to do this? I think you can perfectly show how you'd like the career to be using something like powerpoint...
    Last edited by cpcdem; 22-08-2019 at 10:12.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Asturbo, PawelK, Sankyo, sas5320

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    My bet would be C#, but basically I don't know.
    I bet on [Basic]

PROGRAM random
    RANDOMIZE
    LET N = 100
    FOR i = 1 to N
    LET integer = int(N*rnd) + 1
    PRINT integer;
    NEXT i
    END

Steam: Bull Shark CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:Triple IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 7680x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5, CSL Elite pedals & loadcell brake| Misc: Oculus Rift , Simlab GT1 EVO Rig , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Asturbo, MartinMWWebb, Maskmagog, PostBox981, satco1066

Platform
    PC
    As cpcdem says, probably 99% of the game is in C++

If you see the the SMS job offers, they want "strong C++ skills": https://www.slightlymadstudios.com/s...ay-programmer/

PS: Searching for the profiles needed by SMS. I've seen the they are looking for server's programmers with experience in SQL, Clustering and client/server architecture. That sounds to me they are working in true dedicated servers, and scalability. Obviuosly clustering is not for actual personal DS model. Interesting...
    Last edited by Asturbo; 22-08-2019 at 22:49.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia RTX2080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW WQHD | Wheel: Fanatec CSW 2.5 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator /// Open Weather App /// DS Config Samples /// Google Standings /// PC3 wish list
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, MartinMWWebb, sas5320

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Definitely not c#, at least not for the core, it's too slow for that, it's most likely c++ with some critical parts probably in direct machine code. A language like c# would be perfect for the UI part (not critical on speed and much easier to manage c# code than c++), but I am afraid it is probably not used for that either, because I suspect this would be a problem sharing the same code in consoles.

PS. To Javaniceday, why do you need a programming language to do this? I think you can perfectly show how you'd like the career to be using something like powerpoint...
    Oh absolutely, doing a demo video with the UI faked in either Aftereffects, Maya or yes, powerpoint, is something I'm considering.

What I was thinking of doing a working UI, a working game without any actual driving. A working demo of how the career mode would be strutured.

But yes, it sounds like C++ is the language to use. Cheers guys.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaniceday View Post
    Oh absolutely, doing a demo video with the UI faked in either Aftereffects, Maya or yes, powerpoint, is something I'm considering.

What I was thinking of doing a working UI, a working game without any actual driving. A working demo of how the career mode would be strutured.

But yes, it sounds like C++ is the language to use. Cheers guys.
    I still don't see why you would want to create a program to do this, creating a career format that you prefer is a matter of design choices and letting your imagination come up with something immersive, it is not a programming challenge. But if you really do want to do it this way, I would suggest using a much easier language than c++, probably Visual Basic, or c# at most. c++ is difficult and very error prone, its only advantage is that it produces very fast code and it is portable.

Platform
    PC
    . c++ is difficult and very error prone,
    Second that. Not sure about Visual Basic though, at least when I did something in VB years ago it had a very dated and clumsy feel AFAIR. How about Python? It's very popular these days, though I dislike some solutions they used.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PawelK View Post
    Second that. Not sure about Visual Basic though, at least when I did something in VB years ago it had a very dated and clumsy feel AFAIR. How about Python? It's very popular these days, though I dislike some solutions they used.
    I have never used it myself, but just had a look at its syntax and looks straightforward, so I think this would be fine as well. Anyway, most of high level languages nowadays are all good and similar enough, it's mainly just the syntax which is different, so it's up to personal preference which one to use and if for some reason it's mandatory to use a specific one. Personally I prefer expressive and verbose languages, so I try to stay away from c# style of languages if possible.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Modern compilers are much better at generating machine code than humans, so there’s no use for it in terms of performance.