Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HDD/SDD defragmentation discussion

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimeyDog View Post
    Exactly but My point was his program wasn't working/Loading correctly so it couldn't hurt to try Defrag to see if it gets things straight.
    A defrag definitely has no influence on if a program loads or not. My best guess is it is the restart that did it for you. Unless there were bad sectors in your HHD and the defrag process somehow managed to move data securely in a different place, but this is a very long shot.
    The following user likes this Post: Sankyo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    A defrag definitely has no influence on if a program loads or not. My best guess is it is the restart that did it for you. Unless there were bad sectors in your HHD and the defrag process somehow managed to move data securely in a different place, but this is a very long shot.
    Dunno what it is all I know is that's what works... Some times restart by its self works but after big updates like ACC and Pcars1 were getting restart alone didn't get it working... Even some Fanatec FW acts Funny till I defrag... Fanatec FW is the most deleted and Installed Item on My PC But in Most cases the FW gets better and better... But the last 2 or 3 were screwed

End Result if I kill a tad bit of SDD/ HDD Life as long as it gets things working its worth it and I'm happy.
    Last edited by GrimeyDog; 09-09-2019 at 16:00.
    OS: Win 10/64bit| Mobo: MSI Z170A-M5 | CPU: i7-7700k | Cooler: Corsair H90 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | GPU: Asus Strix 2080ti OC Edition | PSU: CX 750M | Storage: Samsung SSD 250GB +4TB HD +1TB Media HD | PC Case: Corsair 760T | Display: QLED 55in Curved TV / VR: HP Reverb | Rig: RSeat N1, Fanatec DD2, CSP v3i , CSS SQ v1.5, CS HB, XB1 Hub/Forza Rim w/APM shifters, Formula Black F1, Astro A40 TR*, 3x Buttkicker Gamer2. Lets Talk FFB thread PC,PS4,XB1

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    Unless I'm missing the sarcasm here, yes this is really bad advice.
    I tried to add emoji's to signify my sarcasm clearly didnt work
    GPU: Galax GTX1080Ti EXOC / CPU: Intel i7 7700K@ 5.1GHz/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s/ Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200mhz C14/ PSU: CM V750/ Storage: 4TB WD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Philips BDM4065UC 40" 3840x2160p / GT Ultimate/ Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2/ Formula v2 - magnetic shifter Mod / CS Universal Hub - magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/Steam/2ndLastJedi
    The following user likes this Post: Bealdor

Platform
    PC
    Just remember that each chipset whether they use DRAM or not will have its own storage matrix. Also make sure TRIM is enabled in Windows and also remember each SSD has a set write life and thats normally around 40-60TB's.

The SSD will do its own version of a defrag anyway because the storage matrix throws the files anywhere it can find enough space (Like blob storage) and when idle it re-shuffles the files in an order (Building the $MFT) but this also doesn't include DRAM and the MFT being stored in DRAM.
    If you get a SSD that has DRAM then the master file table is stored there and not the actual memory chip! This makes it very fast for finding files when you execute an application like AutoCAD or even a game as the lookup table is way more responsive.
    You will find DRAM-Less SSD's speed degradation when you have a 1TB drive and you fill it with 1TB of files, it starts off fast but will get very slow after 300 gig.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K, Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-Gaming K5 Motherboard ,Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AORUS 11GB, Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4, Solid State Drive: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB SSD

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    I appreciate that I'm a bit late to this discussion and I'm not sure that what I am going to say is going to add anything, rather confirm some posts already made. For background, I spent nearly 26 years running an IT sales and support business and spent that time at the sharp end, doing the techy stuff.

Back when we started our business, and prior to that, hard drives were as slow as chuff, with data transfer rates occasionally making an appearance in the double-digit MBs per second area. A defrag had immediate and tangible benefits, given that the time to defrag was far outweighed by the time saved in everything loading. Norton Utilities, in those days, was worth its weight in gold. As drive performance increased over the years, the need to defrag became less and less, especially on the average user's computer (after all, most users install programs and occasionally upgrade them, mostly just adding their own data files). There were still benefits to defragging, no doubt, but those benefits were diminishing and I would argue strongly that it would be highly unusual to regain the time lost to the defrag process.

Cut to now and you have 2 types of drive available - HDD and SSD. As has been written multiple times in here, defragging a SSD drive is counter-productive and positively detrimental to the life of the SSD unit. In short, DO NOT defrag a SSD. HDDs are also unlikely to need defragging on a regular basis unless you are constantly removing and installing new software. Even then, the speed of a modern drive is in the high tens (and low hundreds) of MBs per second, so the benefits of a defrag are negligible in most cases, meaning that you are unlikely to reclaim the time the defrag process took.

If your hard drive is crap and/or not been defragged in a while and been subjected to lots and lots of software removals and installs then a defrag might provide a small boost in performance. Otherwise, meh, I'd leave Windows to handle it on its own built-in schedule, to run when the PC is idle.

Your mileage may vary of course and, anecdotally, everybody will have had different experiences at some point or other, but I can say that, from memory, it must be 10 years or more since I manually ran a defrag on a hard drive.
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz //
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Asturbo, cpcdem, GrimeyDog

Platform
    PC
    How old are we, cluck. Sure you have used the command "PARK" before shutting down...
    Last edited by Asturbo; 10-09-2019 at 18:50.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia RTX2080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW WQHD | Wheel: Fanatec CSW 2.5 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator /// Open Weather App /// DS Config Samples /// Google Standings /// PC3 wish list
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cluck, cpcdem, MrTulip

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Asturbo View Post
    How old are we, cluck. Sure you have used the command "PARK" before shutting down...
    Too old, that's for sure!

And yes, that command has taken my right back to the days of the hard drive (on an expansion card) we had in our Amstrad PC1512. A bargain at 300 or so (in 80s money) ... for 32MB. Kids today, don't know they're born
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz //
    The following user likes this Post: Asturbo

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cluck View Post
    Too old, that's for sure!

And yes, that command has taken my right back to the days of the hard drive (on an expansion card) we had in our Amstrad PC1512. A bargain at 300 or so (in 80s money) ... for 32MB. Kids today, don't know they're born
    Yup, my 10 megger Western Digital is also on an expansion IDE card. ISA slot. 32 megs though... that's quite something!

They look a little something like this, for those kids reading along.
    Hardcards they were called it seems (never knew that myself): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcard

Last edited by Christiaan van Beilen; 10-09-2019 at 21:39.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Asturbo, Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PC
    IDE? Luxury... When I were a lad, there were fourteen of us, huddled round our MFM hard drive, using it to keep us warm at night.

(channels 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen, Sankyo

WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cluck View Post
    IDE? Luxury... When I were a lad, there were fourteen of us, huddled round our MFM hard drive, using it to keep us warm at night.

(channels 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch)
    Oh yes, it was indeed a step towards the future that. Back in the day we'd have to use a cassette tape in one of those Sinclair ZX Spectrum machines. Didn't have any of that harddrive luxury, oh no! You could down a whole pot of tea whilst waiting depending on the program you were loading.

(You're making me feel old by making me realize that we are basically reenacting that sketch without joking about it )
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following user likes this Post: Olijke Poffer