Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delayed steering animations

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Delayed steering animations

youtube.com/watch?v=at0UzTne3DA

I am using mouse here. On the video, the steering wheels turns slower than the wheels( touching ground ). I want the steering wheel to be in sync with my mouse. how do you disable this "feature"?

Platform
    PC
    I'm not sure I see a delay, but rather that the steering wheel turns further when the front wheels are already at maximum steering angle? The front wheels seem to start moving at the moment that the steering wheel starts moving, so that suggests there's no delay?

To get that more clear, you could do the same but then turning the steering wheel much more slowly. If then the front wheels also stop before the steering wheel stops (using the same amount of steering input as in the video above), it cannot be a delay.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    no the wheels are on full lock but the steering wheel is still reaching full lock.

Platform
    PC
    It seems to me that the wheels are not following the steering wheel when you start turning. They turn very fast to maximum position and stay there. As if there was a problem with the wheels position (or just animation thereof), it's "all-or-nothing". Do the wheels turn this way also when you move your mouse very slowly?
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    no thats not the problem. it can turn and stay between 0 angle and max angle.
    The following user likes this Post: PawelK

Platform
    PC
    But do you get the same effect when you turn the steering wheel slowly?
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    yes the animation is still slow but the delay is smaller.

youtu.be/FHuxdXVydfk
    heres a better video with the steering hud in the bottem left. the car is a toyota gt1 btw

Platform
    PC
    I guess that there's a deliberate delay in the animation of the steering wheel. I can image that with mouse input, you may want to limit how fast the wheel can be turned as you can move a mouse much faster than you could turn a real wheel. This should apply to both steering wheel and front wheels equally, though, which doesn't seem to be the case in the game. Does the car turn as fast as you move the mouse? If yes, then I guess it's an oversight in the mouse steering implementation.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    the mouse has a steering speed limit. when i quickly turn full left to full right, the wheels will still be turning.

I tried testing with other open wheel cars and the steering wheel and wheels on ground are syncronized but now they are both delayed.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by wasdracer View Post
    the mouse has a steering speed limit. when i quickly turn full left to full right, the wheels will still be turning.

I tried testing with other open wheel cars and the steering wheel and wheels on ground are syncronized but now they are both delayed.
    Oh so it's a car-specific issue? That's interesting.

And with 'delayed' you mean 'slower than I'm moving my mouse'? That would be the steering speed limit, right?