Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I to blame for this?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Am I to blame for this?

https://youtu.be/G99beq9yi4M?t=100

The rejoin.... I can see the argument about that being my fault. What % my fault could be discussed. But what about the first incident where I get side swiped. I could have given more room. EDIT - There was no overlap. The other driver had his corner of the car at almost the same level as mine, but not quite. - I tried to, I gave the amount I thought was correct, but to me, the other driver I don't think was entitled to be there. The driver did not have overlap before the turn in. What do you guys think?

I'm kind of bothered by this 'cuz I qualified p3, my first race back to the league in a long time, and I wanted to have a good, clean race, but it totally did not work out

In my defense, in the rejoin, I saw everyone go past, what I thought was the entire field. The last guy goes past, and while I'm already starting to turn the car around, the other car goes over the ridge, and supposedly was unable to avoid a collision.
    Last edited by Javaniceday; 17-09-2019 at 01:22.

Platform
    PC
    It doesn't look intentional, but you ended up being a near-stationary object on the wrong side of a blind-ish corner.
    Steam name: z1nonly
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 32gb DDR4 @3600 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It's not clear from this camera what happened at the first incident, do you have it as a replay to also post it with chase camera from your and the other guy's POV?

About the rejoin, that was your fault, but then again indeed you tried to avoid this happening, as you waited for other cars to pass, but you were unlucky that just when you thought yo were clear, the other car did appear. Would it had been possible to voice chat about this before rejoining? Using the game widget that shows which cars are nearby would had possibly helped, although unfortunately this very often does not work correctly.
    The following user likes this Post: Javaniceday

Platform
    PC
    Agreed, hard too tell if the other guy had some overlap and you turned on him, or he divebombed you. I see you looked into your mirror, did you also look to the side? LMPs are long and it's easy to hit someone (or to PIT yourself) when you think you are ahead.

For the rejoin, you could have driven forward (i.e. against traffic) on the grass past the corner, to see incoming cars better before you rejoined. But the game might then penalize you for driving in the reverse direction. Also incoming cars might panic seeing you there, lock up and hit you anyway. The track map widget might be helpful.
    The following user likes this Post: Javaniceday

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PawelK View Post
    Agreed, hard too tell if the other guy had some overlap and you turned on him, or he divebombed you.
    There was no overlap. The other driver had his corner of the car at almost the same level as mine, but not quite.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaniceday View Post
    The rejoin.... I can see the argument about that being my fault. What % my fault could be discussed.
    Not sure about the incident that started the whole thing - as we don't have a view about how much overlap he had on you - no way to tell from the video if he had made the corner his or not. As for the rejoin - that's on you even if you were a little unlucky as it perhaps looked like a gap was there.
    PS4 Pro - T300 Alcantara - T3PA - TH8A - Wheel Stand Pro

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz555 View Post
    As for the rejoin - that's on you even if you were a little unlucky as it perhaps looked like a gap was there.
    would you say 100%?

Platform
    PC
    From my point of view, it is hard to tell whose fault is the initial bit of contact that put you into a spin, not without seeing more angles but there are some things to take and learn from that to avoid in the future. The rejoin was very much on you as others pointed out, and you could have stopped again as there is a moment where the car coming round the corner becomes visible before you spin back on track in front of him. After that, the following rejoins were also pretty dangerous, but that could partly be due to the damage sustained from getting shunted in the rear as I know the spin in the next corner would have been from rear end totally smashed with no downforce and possible suspension damage.

Some tips that I'd take on board for future use though, especially with VR only and not using any of the HUD elements:
    - Keep checking the mirrors. You checked the mirrors coming off the corner which is good and what you should have been doing, but it was quite clear to see that the car you were battling with wasn't visible in them when you checked. To me, that would indicate they are alongside you or in a blind spot. My next course and almost immediate action would be to look over out the side window to see if the car is visible there, if they're not then they're in a blind spot, if they are then try to watch for a second or 2 to see if you are gaining or losing ground to them to help judge who is going to be ahead and how far coming into the next corner. Approaching the next corner, check the mirrors again just as you come into the braking zone to double check if you're clear and depending whether you are, take the apex or leave the room if there is some overlap. If there is still no sign of them, leave the room on the inside to be safe. If you've left the room and they hit you, it's on them as you've done everything you can to ensure you make a safe pass and both get through the corner cleanly.
    - Always be prepared to stop again when rejoining the track and look around more. As you're opting to run with the HUD off, you need to look around constantly and be prepared to stop if you spot another car. As mentioned there was a moment where you could have jumped on the brakes to stop yourself from spinning round and rejoining. Would have cost you more time and would have been frustrating but could have avoided the collision altogether (the power of hindsight).
    - When rejoining, don't go straight for the racing line either. Stick to the side of the track that you're rejoining onto and come back onto the track at a shallow angle. There wasn't any other cars coming behind you so this wasn't so much of an issue but rejoining with the intention of getting back to the racing line is something that I see a lot of people do online and often leads to further contact. You can still accelerate up to speed off it, and those coming up behind will be able to read and avoid you easier.

The LMP3 cars don't have rear view mirrors or monitors, so you are solely relying on the wing mirrors. With VR, you have the advantage of being able to look over at them and out the side windows so make sure you are doing that as often as you can when there are other cars in close proximity, mainly checking when coming off corners and when coming into corners, and also on long straights. The more situational awareness you can gather, the safer you'll be out on track and the greater chance of success you will have. You do kind of need to force yourself to do it, so practice doing so when just driving on your own out on track, but it becomes a lot more natural and you can absorb the visual information a lot quicker if you keep doing it which will help you in a race.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt York View Post
    From my point of view, it is hard to tell whose fault is the initial bit of contact that put you into a spin, not without seeing more angles but there are some things to take and learn from that to avoid in the future. The rejoin was very much on you as others pointed out, and you could have stopped again as there is a moment where the car coming round the corner becomes visible before you spin back on track in front of him. After that, the following rejoins were also pretty dangerous, but that could partly be due to the damage sustained from getting shunted in the rear as I know the spin in the next corner would have been from rear end totally smashed with no downforce and possible suspension damage.
    Thanks so much for your insight Yorkie. Love the videos, btw. Keep up the good work!

But the good news is that I redeemed myself this past weekend. Came home in a solid p2 at Silverstone, so at least there's that.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Javaniceday; 23-09-2019 at 23:38.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cpcdem, justonce68

Platform
    PC
    Your chase view would be more informative, from this point of view it seems that he had some overlap at braking. Notably, even though he brakes a tad earlier, you braked harder, and that made the overlap much more significant by the time you turned in. My verdict would be that he nicely outbraked you, but again, I would rather see your chase view to be sure about the overlap.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNG-gPW6hw , the clip at 0:22 and the next ones 0:42 and 0:55 - I am talking about what happens between me (dark green car) and Dave Hassar (bright green), not what Ladder (white/blue/red) against whom I was lodging protest with this video. I was coming from further back than the guy in your video and I still claim it was a legit outbraking not a divebomb, and Hassar did not complain about it. He was just smart enough no to turn in on me, which did not save him from Ladder's idiotic move.

Or here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Sq0mzpFTo , again I was coming from further back but I moved before braking zone and outbraked the other guy. Again, he was smart enough not to turn in on me. But obviously the overlap was far clearer than in your case.