Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: reselling Steam games?

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusN View Post
    And if you think it's too expensive, say it's too expensive by not buying it. I never overspent on a game because I wouldn't buy a game that costs too much(at the time). Of course you can make mistakes, but that's what Steam's refund feature is for. And I never used it for a game, only for a virtual core restriction program which didn't work as advertised.
    Agreed. Maybe a good improvement would be to increase the time limit for a refund, to say 5 or 10 hours, from 2 that is now, so there will be no excuse for anybody that buys the game but does not like it.
    The following user likes this Post: MaximusN

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Agreed. Maybe a good improvement would be to increase the time limit for a refund, to say 5 or 10 hours, from 2 that is now, so there will be no excuse for anybody that buys the game but does not like it.
    Yeah considering you've basically just completed the tutorial in 2 hours 5 could be better. Or maybe have 2 hours be free and every hour after that reduce 20% from your refund. But I still think I'd never use it...

On the other hand, that hurts games that are short. Now opinions differ, but there are 10(ish) hour games that are better than games you could play for 100+ hours. But some people are done with it after the first playthrough, so if you rush through you could basically play a (good) short game for free(or with the 20% idea: cheap)... Just trying to say play time doesn't equal play quality. In my experience the opposite. Longer games do tend to have some grindyness, at least for me.

I'd prefer the prices to reflect resellability: pay less for a game you can't sell. That would be my solution(but the law doesn't seem to agree). Somehow Steam achieved the opposite(pay max price for something you can't sell(I'm only worried about the max price part).
    Last edited by MaximusN; 22-09-2019 at 00:01.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    DD1, 918 Wheel, SQ V1.5 Shifter, CS Handbrake V1.5 , V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Imagine if it will be possible to buy a game, play it for 100 hours, then sell it a couple months later for the later current price - 5%. There's absolutely no reason for a buyer to prefer the "original" game than the one with the even slightly reduced price (while this is not true for other products), so everybody would be doing that, so how much would that leave as income to the developers? Only solution would then be to either increase starting prices a lot, or use the tragic methods mentioned above with microtransactions etc.
    If developers release finished good games with lots of replay value I'm sure people will be willing to buy it on release day at full price and won't be interested in selling their copy. Some people might wait a few months to see if they can buy it used at a lower price but if the game is good and nobody is interested in selling their copy then the only option left is to buy a new copy of the game.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FS7 View Post
    If developers release finished good games with lots of replay value I'm sure people will be willing to buy it on release day at full price and won't be interested in selling their copy. Some people might wait a few months to see if they can buy it used at a lower price but if the game is good and nobody is interested in selling their copy then the only option left is to buy a new copy of the game.
    It's hard to tell what would be the effect of that. If a lot more games were perfect to the level you'd keep replaying them, you'd have less time to play(and buy) other great games. And if you can sell and re-buy for less them when you want to play again for why would you keep them? I have about 350 games in my Steam library a lot of which haven't been touched for years(or ever ). I don't think about it one second now, but could I justify keeping them if I could sell them(easily)?

On a sidenote I'd actually prefer games to get shorter again, but more engaging. That would sell make me buy more. Take Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. I love it for all the things you can do and the vast map. But I have 150 hours in it, and would actually prefer it to be shorter and more focused (story wise). You play those games until the magic is gone(and still have tons of stuff to do after that). Sounds weird but I rather have the credits roll leaving me wanting for more. Most longish games are kind of like a TV-show that has been extended for too many seasons. I never re-watch those either.

I'm more inclined to replaying a 10 or 20 hour game than starting a 150+adventure again(I only have one (looooong) Skyrim playthrough f.i.). Or to keep it in the AC series, the two that I probably won't replay ever are Origin and Odyssey. All the others(except III ) which are more compact I would. I actually replayed 1,2, Brotherhood and Revelations before starting with III. For me personally the yearly cycle worked a lot better.
    DD1, 918 Wheel, SQ V1.5 Shifter, CS Handbrake V1.5 , V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusN View Post
    It's hard to tell what would be the effect of that. If a lot more games were perfect to the level you'd keep replaying them, you'd have less time to play(and buy) other great games. And if you can sell and re-buy for less them when you want to play again for why would you keep them?
    Games don't need to be perfect for me to keep them, they just need to have enough quality & replay value. I still play rF1 & UT2004 on a regular basis even though I own newer games with better graphics. I'll still buy & play new games if they're good and the price is fair but I'll keep old ones if they're good and I feel they're worth replaying. On the other hand some of the F1 games I'd gladly sell if I could since they aren't that great.

For Steam games Valve could implement a system similar to that of trading cards & game items, players could sell games they don't want anymore in the Steam marketplace, and Valve & the game developer would take a cut, just like they do with other marketplace items. Good games would probably be hard to find and/or expensive in the marketplace since most people wouldn't want to sell them and most likely the best option to buy those games would be buying directly from Steam. Crappy buggy games with low replay value would be a different story though.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FS7 View Post
    Games don't need to be perfect for me to keep them, they just need to have enough quality & replay value. I still play rF1 & UT2004 on a regular basis even though I own newer games with better graphics. I'll still buy & play new games if they're good and the price is fair but I'll keep old ones if they're good and I feel they're worth replaying. On the other hand some of the F1 games I'd gladly sell if I could since they aren't that great.

For Steam games Valve could implement a system similar to that of trading cards & game items, players could sell games they don't want anymore in the Steam marketplace, and Valve & the game developer would take a cut, just like they do with other marketplace items. Good games would probably be hard to find and/or expensive in the marketplace since most people wouldn't want to sell them and most likely the best option to buy those games would be buying directly from Steam. Crappy buggy games with low replay value would be a different story though.
    And that goes to show people are different. I'm pretty sure I'll never play rF1 again even though I easily ran it for hundreds of hours(including my modding escapades). I own too many sims that support modding to replace it(including rF2, but also AMS which is basically a well modded and tweaked rF1 on steroids). GT Legends I would(and do) occasionally play.

I could however be inclined to play old F1's again for tracks I dearly miss(like Turkey).

So to me the pure quality of the game alone isn't the deciding factor(for replay). I rate rF1 higher than GT Legends and the Codemaster's F1 series, but it had it's time. Would never sell it though, because I support ISI.

Marketplace could work, but I still think people will be tempted to sell even a good game after the first playthrough, knowing you can pick it up later for much less(or not even re-buy it at all). It's like unused cash laying around.

Platform
    PC
    I have 300 odd games in my Steam library and you know how many I have installed? About 10!

I have bought multiple games on pre order with broken promises of proper dedi servers, min specs that even higher spec PC's couldn't run, a yearly release of a game with a new dress on but the same game, buggy messes that I have spent more than 2 hours trying to fix, crippled and shutdown multiplayer, you get the picture the list goes on but have I had any compensation, no I have not.

If I wanted to recoup some money for the games I don't play that I feel I was robbed for then I don't see the problem personally, there is no restriction on reselling console games so why should there be on digital games?

I have F1 from 2010 to 2018 and I think the only one I put any time into was 2011.

The good games I have put 100's and 1000's of hours into I wouldn't sell even when they become obsolete.

If developers and publishers actually put out a polished and finished game at the start then not a lot would be reselling but those who are reselling fairly new games would then be pretty much giving a thumbs down review as you would see how many pop up for sale and people would take note.

People don't really sell good games they sell the poor ones that shouldn't have been released in the first place, maybe this will break the monopoly and force game creators to make a high quality finished product like they used to over 10 years ago not these day one, day 5, day 20 patches we keep getting for unfinished stuff, look at ACC for example, that was never ready for release and I still think it's a beta game.

I hope this wakes a few people up if it goes through because the gravy train will be ending ;-)
    'Racers Without Borders'
    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/RW...GINTERNATIONAL
    https://discord.gg/b7g9wGf
    http://rwbracing.club/
    Commodore 64, 64K RAM, Tape Drive, Grundig TV. Overclocked ;-)
    The following user likes this Post: FS7

Platform
    PC
    give them a timeout e.g. allowed after 1 year from release and for older games 2 months after buy and nobody will loose.
    Though my real thinking is, if i bought a good, i can resale, gift or destroy it whenever i want. Independtly if its a physical or a virtual good.
    Every car could be a race car, as long as you have the balls to drive it like that !

System MSI Mortar Titanium B450 | CPU Ryzen 5-1600x | RAM 32GB DDR4 | GPU RTX2080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1903 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1 / HP Reverb | Motion Next Level Motion V3
    Devil's Core - Drivers Club ( german language )
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by satco1066 View Post
    give them a timeout e.g. allowed after 1 year from release and for older games 2 months after buy and nobody will loose.
    Though my real thinking is, if i bought a good, i can resale, gift or destroy it whenever i want. Independtly if its a physical or a virtual good.
    If you buy a bottle of wine, taste it and it is fantastic, I m pretty sure you would not resale or gift it
    Software is a very special type of "goods", with very special attributes (does not wear, can be copied with no quality loss, can be used forever), it cannot be treated like everything else.
    The following user likes this Post: MaximusN

Platform
    PC
    Bullsh....
    There are many goods, that do not wear.
    E.g. art. I can buy a picture, look at it for years. And can resale it. It does not wear, it MUST NOT be copied and can be used for hundreds of years. And the best: if the "coder" was really good, i can sale it with very much revenue
    Every car could be a race car, as long as you have the balls to drive it like that !

System MSI Mortar Titanium B450 | CPU Ryzen 5-1600x | RAM 32GB DDR4 | GPU RTX2080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1903 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1 / HP Reverb | Motion Next Level Motion V3
    Devil's Core - Drivers Club ( german language )
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/