Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 244

Thread: Simulators vs Codemaster 2016

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    81
    Platform
    PC

    Simulators vs Codemaster 2016

    Why is it that Codemaster F1 2016-2018 seem way tougher to drive than a simulation? I can do a full race on a simulation game with ease but F1 2016 it's way more mentally draining? It seems it takes way more concentration with Codemaster F1 games compared to a "simulation". Well with assists turned off of course for both games. Maybe it has something to do with VR?, PC2 I only play in VR and obviously i can't with Codemaster. Maybe I can catch mistakes more with VR? Hmmm but maybe that's not it, I think F1 games in Codemaster is way harder when it's set with assists off. Prolly with these "simulation" games you feel everything so that makes it easier? I've only played PC2 for like a month but F1 2016 for over 200 hours and it's still way tougher than these Simulations.

  2. #2
    GT3 Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,804
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNaipaul View Post
    Why is it that Codemaster F1 2016-2018 seem way tougher to drive than a simulation? I can do a full race on a simulation game with ease but F1 2016 it's way more mentally draining? It seems it takes way more concentration with Codemaster F1 games compared to a "simulation". Well with assists turned off of course for both games. Maybe it has something to do with VR?, PC2 I only play in VR and obviously i can't with Codemaster. Maybe I can catch mistakes more with VR? Hmmm but maybe that's not it, I think F1 games in Codemaster is way harder when it's set with assists off. Prolly with these "simulation" games you feel everything so that makes it easier? I've only played PC2 for like a month but F1 2016 for over 200 hours and it's still way tougher than these Simulations.
    Are you driving with a wheel or gamepad? In codemasters' games, they give extra grip in cars for gamepad users, in order to compensate for the difficulty of controlling the car with a stick, and the result is that using a wheel becomes more difficult and wheel users are most of the times slower than pad users. I really hope this is not what SMS will do also in PCARSR, in order to make it more pad friendly...

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    81
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Are you driving with a wheel or gamepad? In codemasters' games, they give extra grip in cars for gamepad users, in order to compensate for the difficulty of controlling the car with a stick, and the result is that using a wheel becomes more difficult and wheel users are most of the times slower than pad users. I really hope this is not what SMS will do also in PCARSR, in order to make it more pad friendly...
    No no dude I play with the hardest difficulty controls possible, so Elite controls with a wheel and no flashbacks and full weekends and just every simish thing that's in the game like cockpit and FOV calculators. I have a Thrustmaster T300 with TPA pro wheels with F1 add on. It just seems PC2 is simple to me, and I only play with Formula cars and they all seem so simple to drive/adjust. I've had the game for a month and I'm currently testing AI at 100% and agression at 80 and I'm within a second of the top cars with most Formula cars. What's going on here? I've just started training with this game and I can play at 100% difficulty with Karts, Formula Rookie and Fornula C? It took me 150 hours of F1 2016 to train and find a difficulty level.

  4. #4
    GT3 Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,804
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNaipaul View Post
    No no dude I play with the hardest difficulty controls possible, so Elite controls with a wheel and no flashbacks and full weekends and just every simish thing that's in the game like cockpit and FOV calculators. I have a Thrustmaster T300 with TPA pro wheels with F1 add on. It just seems PC2 is simple to me, and I only play with Formula cars and they all seem so simple to drive/adjust. I've had the game for a month and I'm currently testing AI at 100% and agression at 80 and I'm within a second of the top cars with most Formula cars. What's going on here? I've just started training with this game and I can play at 100% difficulty with Karts, Formula Rookie and Fornula C? It took me 150 hours of F1 2016 to train and find a difficulty level.
    That's what I meant, in codemasters' games it's a handicap to drive with a wheel, so it feels harder than in sims to do so. I also agree, the formula cars (not the C one) are easy to drive in PCARS2, but not easy to go really fast with them. What lap times are you doing in what tracks? AI times are not always indicative, even at 100% they are very slow in certain car/track combos.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    81
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    That's what I meant, in codemasters' games it's a handicap to drive with a wheel, so it feels harder than in sims to do so. I also agree, the formula cars (not the C one) are easy to drive in PCARS2, but not easy to go really fast with them. What lap times are you doing in what tracks? AI times are not always indicative, even at 100% they are very slow in certain car/track combos.
    What! No dude you're missing the point. Its not a handicap to drive with a wheel...I feel totally comfortable driving with a wheel, I have been since EA F1 Challenge '99-02 and rfactor 1. I know Codemaster F1 games got a bad rap of being a sim cause 95% of players drive in T-Cam in combination with a controller. My argument is PC2 Formula stuff seems so easy, I can race with them at 100% difficulty right off the bat, it's been 3 weeks and I can!! Why so easy?

  6. #6
    WMD Member John Hargreaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,161
    Platform
    PC
    I always felt that PC1/2 felt like driving a car, and F1 20XX felt like operating a videogame, so I think I agree with OP.
    i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

    WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants


  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    81
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    I always felt that PC1/2 felt like driving a car, and F1 20XX felt like operating a videogame, so I think I agree with OP.
    So you agree with me, driving with PCars is like driving a car but driving an F1 car is unreal, I get it. So you drive GT cars then? Good job buddy, you like all that traction control and ABS? You're a pro.

  8. #8
    GT5 Pilot Zaskarspants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,850
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I suggest the op turns up the difficulty, it goes to 120.
    I can best some combos at 120/100 but beating actual real fast drivers, that is an even higher bar, try checking your times against top TT times.
    Pcars was designed to be drivable not frustrating so that the simmer can concentrate on finding the edge rather than fighting the SIM. Nothing is more crushing than driving a SIM that seems to spit you off for no reason and pcars tries to avoid this.
    If you feel you have mastered open wheelers there are a panoply of other cars to try, all with very different charms and challenges for you to race.

    As for vr, well I am yet to try it but in the TT league I race in the top times are very often vr users. I suspect that depth perception is a real game changer.

    http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/
    https://www.stoopidchallenges.com/#
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com

  9. #9
    GT5 Pilot Zaskarspants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,850
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNaipaul View Post
    So you agree with me, driving with PCars is like driving a car but driving an F1 car is unreal, I get it. So you drive GT cars then? Good job buddy, you like all that traction control and ABS? You're a pro.
    Not sure what you mean by that riposte, but driver aids can be set to realistic mimicking what is available irl or switched off completely.
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves


  10. #10
    LMP2 Pilot hkraft300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    8,791
    Platform
    PS4
    Sims in general used to be "harder". With the latest generation of code technology, consumer hardware capability and further research into tyre behaviour led to sims becoming more accurate to real life behaviour.
    I find pc1, for example, much more difficult than pc2. However, I'm very convinced of the significantly increased accuracy of the simulation in pc2. I'm comparing both with no assists.

    Is the ffb as good in pc2 as F1?
    Does F1 model tyre behaviour as accurately as pc2? (that's a no) and hence how does that affect the fidelity of ffb?
    If the fidelity of the ffb and simulation is better in pc2, even with a directly comparable car, anything will be easier to drive on the limit in pc2 compared to F1.

    F1 cars are the pinnacle of motorsports. Project cars doesn't have a direct comparison and the closest you'll get is the Formula A, which is loosely based on the 2011 F1.

    Also let's not forget the OP's own skill progression - 200+ hours to get good at CM-F1 those skills do transfer very well to other sims. It won't take nearly as much time to get good at a different simulation.

    As to the OP - don't write off GT racers. There are guys who have mastered open wheel such as yourself, guys who have mastered prototypes, guys who are masters of GT cars. Assists or not, you'd get beat in a GT car just as you would beat a GT racer in an open wheel car. Your elitism isn't comparable to a real F1 driver - they're the best in the world and can drive anything competitively fast. If you think you have the skills to take on the best GT racers, hit up some of the top tier leagues or TT. Post some times. Let your results do the talking
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following 3 users likes this Post: blinkngone, PawelK, REXPITVIPER1


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-12-2018, 07:21
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-08-2018, 05:51
  3. 2016 BMW M6 GT3 (NO CHAT!)
    By Trnes in forum Vehicles Custom Paints Download DB
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-05-2018, 21:34
  4. 2016 Le Mans, WEC, etc.
    By AbeWoz in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 464
    Last Post: 03-12-2016, 20:36
  5. WMD 2016
    By inthebagbud in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2016, 03:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •