Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Simulators vs Codemaster 2016

Platform
    XBOX1
    Wheel support in Codemasters games is excellent (at least in Dirt Rally 2 and F1), top esports drivers are all on wheels unlike the top Forza guys who all are on game pads. So no, using a wheel is not a handicap and it's not slower.
    F1 games are clearly on the light side of simulation so this is another example and proof that by simulating things more properly like in PC2 you get that stability and more real driving dynamics, just as in real race cars.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNaipaul View Post
    What! No dude you're missing the point. Its not a handicap to drive with a wheel...I feel totally comfortable driving with a wheel, I have been since EA F1 Challenge '99-02 and rfactor 1. I know Codemaster F1 games got a bad rap of being a sim cause 95% of players drive in T-Cam in combination with a controller. My argument is PC2 Formula stuff seems so easy, I can race with them at 100% difficulty right off the bat, it's been 3 weeks and I can!! Why so easy?
    I did not say you should not feel comfortable with the wheel, I said pad users get a grip advantage in codemasters' games. Most of them at least. Not in rFactor or other sims.

So if you find it so easy in PCARS2, you should be smashing all world records, right? What lap times are you doing? In Red Bull Ring for example?

About feeling easy beating the AI at 100%, the problem is that the AI is very slow at certain corners in most tracks, losing a lot of time there, so you should be using something like 110% to compensate. Remember, PCARS2 has dozens and dozens of car classes, while F1 games have only two or three (modern/vintage), so it is a lot more difficult making the AI properly balanced everywhere in PCARS2.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: blinkngone, hkraft300, Zaskarspants

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Not sure how it is with a wheel but with a controller CM F1 games from 2015 on have input lag (especially F1 2016 & 2018) as well as deadzones & dampers/filters that cannot be turned off and no option to adjust steering lock & range. That imo makes those games more difficult to drive compared to games like rF & AMS where I have full control to customize all controller settings.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    About feeling easy beating the AI at 100%, the problem is that the AI is very slow at certain corners in most tracks, losing a lot of time there, so you should be using something like 110% to compensate. Remember, PCARS2 has dozens and dozens of car classes, while F1 games have only two or three (modern/vintage), so it is a lot more difficult making the AI properly balanced everywhere in PCARS2.
    So true. I have won races with 110% AI starting from last grid spot. (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSu5CdOu6TM). Doesn't make me a genius driver, I just hit a track/car combo where AI was slower than me.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    In contrast to the OP I personally find the codemasters f1 games a lot easier than pc2. Inherent understeer and very forgiving power application. I used to play them for the career immersion but its really just the same rinse and repeat exercise in terms of actual driving experience, whereas in pc2 the same car can give quite a different experience depending on the type of track which is quite a compliment to the depth of physics representation. Sadly I seem to have drifted away from codemasters f1- no VR and too repetitive in terms of driving experience, and dont get me started on the halo- if its about saving lives just encase the driver LMP1 style, but the halo as it is now just sums up F1 at the moment perfectly- total identity crisis. Anyway, back on point.. In f1 20xx The same setup can be used for every single circuit with no need to tweak it to extract more performance or adapt the handling.
    Context- wheel and pedals in a custom built cockpit, pc2 on 110/80 career mode.
    Just my very humble personal experience.
    Last edited by Keena; 23-09-2019 at 08:43.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Agreed, but I think the halo can be removed in the F1 games, it's much better without it.
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I didnt know that. I might have to try this years offering then
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Agreed, but I think the halo can be removed in the F1 games, it's much better without it.
    Could be but it won't be as the F1 license forces CM to make the cars look exactly the same as seen on TV for the 'realism' they use to sell the game. Playability and fun be damned its all about the marketing. SMS have much more freedom to make the game/sim look and play how people actually want to see and play it.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNaipaul View Post
    Why is it that Codemaster F1 2016-2018 seem way tougher to drive than a simulation? I can do a full race on a simulation game with ease but F1 2016 it's way more mentally draining? It seems it takes way more concentration with Codemaster F1 games compared to a "simulation". Well with assists turned off of course for both games. Maybe it has something to do with VR?, PC2 I only play in VR and obviously i can't with Codemaster. Maybe I can catch mistakes more with VR? Hmmm but maybe that's not it, I think F1 games in Codemaster is way harder when it's set with assists off. Prolly with these "simulation" games you feel everything so that makes it easier? I've only played PC2 for like a month but F1 2016 for over 200 hours and it's still way tougher than these Simulations.
    It has nothing to do with how easy it feels or does not feel. We have simulations from the 90s that are so hard that none can drive cars in them even close to a limit for several laps in a row. Yet no-one can argue that the simulation value of those would be greater to what we have now. Being difficult is not proof of that. REVS was damn hard on C64 in the 80s, it was a sim, yet no-one sensible would claim it a high point of a simulation.

More advanced it is, more natural it is. And easier it gets, until certain point and especially speed. I don't think that the high point of natural was F1 2016.

Also all of the current top crop of car sims have some cars that are very difficult to drive, and those that are easier or plain dead easy. Even harder to decide what is deemed a simulation just by their difficulty in handling.
    Intel i9-9900K | Asus Z390-H mobo | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia RTX-2080ti | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | TH8A H-shifter | Valve Index | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppysmusic View Post
    Could be but it won't be as the F1 license forces CM to make the cars look exactly the same as seen on TV for the 'realism' they use to sell the game. Playability and fun be damned its all about the marketing. SMS have much more freedom to make the game/sim look and play how people actually want to see and play it.
    Are you sure about that? I am pretty sure I could remove the halo last time I played, but maybe I do not remember right. I don't have the F1 games currently installed in my new PC, so can't test it. But a google search suggests that it is indeed possible to remove the halo...