Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else find Hockenheim weirdly difficult?

Platform
    PC

Does anyone else find Hockenheim weirdly difficult?

This is kind of follow up to my COTA thread, but not exactly.

And I know what some of you might be thinking: he can't drive COTA, now he's complaining about Hockenheim, he just can't drive at all.

But no, I would say that I can drive OK. I am not superfast, I am not an alien, but I think I am fairly competitive - A1595 at this point, not great, but definitely not terrible. And I feel reasonably comfortable on many tracks: The Glen, Brands Hatch, Sakitto, Spa, Monza, Laguna, Red Bull, Long Beach, Daytona road, Road America, Silverstone, Barcelona. Slightly less at Nurburgring, Donnington, Bathurst, Imola, but I think I am still OK, at least I do not feel hopeless there.

There are three outliers for me: COTA, which I hate and can't drive well, Algarve which I hate so much that I basically never drive there, and Hockenheim.

And the weirdest thing about Hockenheim is that, unlike COTA and Algarve, I actually like the track. I think the layout is interesting and challenging, and has a nice rhythm to it. It's only when I drive it in multiplayer, I am hopelessly bad, like 4-5 seconds per lap bad. I don't even know where exactly I lose most of the time, it seems that i am slow all over the place. There was one FRookie race in which I wasn't that off, but other than it was always really bad.

Does anyone else feel like that about this particular track? Any hints, suggestions, what to change,what to work on?
    The following user likes this Post: MartinMWWebb

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It's one of my absolutely favorite tracks, together with Red Bull Ring and Watkins! It has everything, fast, medium speed and slow corners, a long straight, so it's hard to guess exactly what does not work well for you, but if you make a video of one of your laps it would help a lot!Did you try time trial, where are you losing the most time?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    It has everything, fast, medium speed and slow corners, a long straight
    I agree, like I said it's a great track!

Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    if you make a video of one of your laps it would help a lot!Did you try time trial, where are you losing the most time?
    I was about to save replay after a recent lost race there, but the game hid the "save replay" button too quickly, as it sometimes does. You're right I should do some time trials. Maybe I'll select a ghost from the bottom of the table, ones from the top will probably drive away so quickly that I won't be able to tell where the problems are.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by PawelK View Post
    but the game hid the "save replay" button too quickly, as it sometimes does.
    That's up to the host, if he presses CONTINUE very quickly, unfortunately you do not get the chance to save the replay.
    The following user likes this Post: PawelK

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I too had a difficult time with Hockenheim, then realized I was just pushing too hard, braking too late. Something about some of those corners gave me a false sense of when to hop on the brakes, over and over. Then I started braking earlier than what felt appropriate until I "relearned" the track with this renewed patience and find it much more enjoyable now. So, slow down and really work on thinking about the apexes of those tricky corners.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, MartinMWWebb, PawelK

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    BTW, T1 for me really sets the tone of my lap. It may be just a mental thing, but it seems like I worked the hardest on nailing that one.

Platform
    PC
    i dont find it difficult but i do find it extremely boring
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Intel Core i7-8700k cpu @ 3.7GHz 3.70GHz Ram:16GB 64 bit operating system Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    PC
    Thanks SPC4S4. I may be making the same mistake. I think I usually have enough healthy respect for T2 and the hairpin, and I do not brake too late there, but it probably is the case for some other turns. And thank you for mentioning T1, I find it more surprisingly hard to get right.
    The following user likes this Post: SPC4S4

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah slow down enough before T1 where you can hit that apex while flat out.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Make sure to hit all of the other apexes as well ^^ You need to get a good exit out of T2 for the long straight. I don't like Hockenheim. It's a famous track and a classic one but I avoid driving there.