Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice re Vr purchase

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Advice re Vr purchase

About to dip my toes in the VR world.

Assuming that PC power is not an issue, Whats the best VR set for running Project Cars2 and hopefully Lockheed's PP3d.

I am thinking of Oculus Quest All-in-one VR Gaming Headset – 128GB or
    HTC VIVE Cosmos Virtual Reality Headset

Since first posting I am also interrested in HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset - Professional Edition - for PC - 114° Field of View.

Robin.
    Last edited by Zynrob; 30-09-2019 at 02:39.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zynrob View Post
    About to dip my toes in the VR world.

Assuming that PC power is not an issue, Whats the best VR set for running Project Cars2 and hopefully Lockheed's PP3d.

I am thinking of Oculus Quest All-in-one VR Gaming Headset – 128GB or
    HTC VIVE Cosmos Virtual Reality Headset

Since first posting I am also interrested in HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset - Professional Edition - for PC - 114° Field of View.

Robin.
    As for the Reverb, I ran that for a week now (have to return it due to some mic trouble) and believe me, it needs A LOT of power to be fun. I run a 1080ti and I wouldn´t recommend to go any lower. Maybe after tinkering with all the quality setting in the game and in SteamVR I might find some better compromise one day but for the moment: You. Need. Power.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Platform
    PC
    Oculus S ! dont believe the bad press .
    OS : Windows 10 64 bit \ Processor : Intel Core i7 8700k \ RAM : Corsair Vengeance led 3000mhz DDR4 16GB \ MB : S1151 ATX ASUS TUF Z370 PRO Gaming \ games on D : ST 1000DM003-1SB102 ATA Device \ ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB \ Cooler Master HAF XM case \ Dell Alienware AW3418DW \ Buttkicker Gamer Pro 2 whit Simhub \ Yamaha 5.1 amp \ RSEAT RS1 Assetto Corsa edition \ Fanatec V2 , Clubsport Shifter SQ , Clubsport Formula Carbon , BMW GT2 Wheel , CSR Pedals \ Renovatio SRD9C CSW sli-style data display \ Sim Racing Hardware Monsta \ Oculus Rift S and Touch System .

First racing game : Auto Racing from Intellivision .
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Makman44, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    Oculus S is pretty good. Just make sure you are running the full 80fps and not ASW. (Turn down eye candy if needed)

If you just connect the new headset and it can't run 80fps, it will just switch to ASW without any sort of notification...and it will be less smooth.
    Steam name: z1nonly
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 32gb DDR4 @3600 / Oculus Rift / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Platform
    PC
    Rift S is good, but I prefer the Reverb due to the extra detail and definition as well as the reasonable built in sound. Rift S audio is poor, so factor in a good sound solution for racing and flying.
    PC2 gives a great VR experience with the Reverb, you can see much more detail in the distant cars on track. P3D and X-Plane perform very poor in VR compared to PC2, but I'd say I get just about acceptable performance (I fly mostly XP11). Aerofly FS2 is easily the best VR flight sim experience, but is less mature in some aspects compared to the more established flight sims.
    i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: DaWorstPlaya

Platform
    PC
    According to early reports, Oculus Quest won't be able to play the entire library on software only some of the software in the Oculus store will be supported. It's doing some kind of streaming using the USB-C cable. And the display only operates at 60hz.

IMHO, there are only 2 headsets you should look at for Project Cars2:

1. HP Reverb:
    The Good: Awesome visuals, very good audio, very light weight, 90Hz display, no god rays
    The Bad: Possible quality issues, screen can have some mura, IPD is not manually adjustable, needs some cable management to solve balance and you need a super powerful GPU (minimum 1080Ti for PCars2)

2. Valve Index:
    The Good: Good visuals, amazing tracking, well balanced, awesome sound, very good quality, 120Hz and 144Hz FPS, manually adjustable IPD
    The Bad: Not as sharp as the Reverb, slight god rays.

Both the above headsets have better visuals and sound than the Rift S's.
    Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; 01-10-2019 at 05:34.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 2700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
    According to early reports, Oculus Quest won't be able to play the entire library on software only some of the software in the Oculus store will be supported. It's doing some kind of streaming using the USB-C cable. And the display only operates at 60hz.

IMHO, there are only 2 headsets you should look at for Project Cars2:

1. HP Reverb:
    The Good: Awesome visuals, very good audio, very light weight, 90Hz display, no god rays
    The Bad: Possible quality issues, screen can have some mura, IPD is not manually adjustable, needs some cable management to solve balance and you need a super powerful GPU (minimum 1080Ti for PCars2)

2. Valve Index:
    The Good: Good visuals, amazing tracking, well balanced, awesome sound, very good quality, 120Hz and 144Hz FPS, manually adjustable IPD
    The Bad: Not as sharp as the Reverb, slight god rays.

Both the above headsets have better visuals and sound than the Rift S's.
    and both are about 600$ or 800$ more ...
    OS : Windows 10 64 bit \ Processor : Intel Core i7 8700k \ RAM : Corsair Vengeance led 3000mhz DDR4 16GB \ MB : S1151 ATX ASUS TUF Z370 PRO Gaming \ games on D : ST 1000DM003-1SB102 ATA Device \ ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB \ Cooler Master HAF XM case \ Dell Alienware AW3418DW \ Buttkicker Gamer Pro 2 whit Simhub \ Yamaha 5.1 amp \ RSEAT RS1 Assetto Corsa edition \ Fanatec V2 , Clubsport Shifter SQ , Clubsport Formula Carbon , BMW GT2 Wheel , CSR Pedals \ Renovatio SRD9C CSW sli-style data display \ Sim Racing Hardware Monsta \ Oculus Rift S and Touch System .

First racing game : Auto Racing from Intellivision .

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    I have Index and should I be on the fence now, I might drop it out for Cosmos for lower price point and simpler overall setup, if not for any other reason. Of course Cosmos needs some reviews first, but on the paper it looks good.

I would not scoff at Oculus Rift S either if your IPD is just close enough match with its unadjustable default value.

Really both Index and Reverb require more oomph than what the most powerful systems currently have to offer, and I expect the same for Cosmos. It is pretty annoying to first see the high res view of the games, and then turn third of that clarity and most of the details down just to get the games running without motion smoothing artifacts.
    But one can think these as an investments into future; one day you can buy a display card that will run them as designed. [bittersweet]
    Intel i9-9900K | Asus Z390-H mobo | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia RTX-2080ti | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | TH8A H-shifter | Valve Index | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4
    The following user likes this Post: PostBox981

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTulip View Post
    But one can think these as an investments into future; one day you can buy a display card that will run them as designed. [bittersweet]
    This was my approach when I ordered the Reverb. Waiting for an affordable RTX3090ti now.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K@4.2 GHz | Mainboard: MSI X99-A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition | Oculus Rift CV1 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de
    The following 2 users likes this Post: DaWorstPlaya, MrTulip

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bporion View Post
    and both are about 600$ or 800$ more ...
    They are only either $200 to $250 more than the Oculus Rift S and totally worth it. Not $600-$800 more.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 2700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bporion, John Hargreaves