Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what can SMS learn from the other sims?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

what can SMS learn from the other sims?

Let's keep responses quick and easy.

Kart Kraft - The driver animations are really, really good. It's one of those things that are dead giveaways that you're watching video game footage and not real life - if the driver is super stiff like a manikin - that's clue #1, and almost every sim out there falls into this trap. Kart Kraft has it's drivers react to g-forces all the way down to their legs - the driver holding on to dear life.

WRC 8 - That career mode is tasty - the way you start at the bottom, but you really feel like you earn you seat at a higher seats is quite rewarding. And if you fail, BAM, your season is over - start over. It's really quite good. None of this artificial "get in the top 3" to advance rule.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    ACC -Sound, FFB
    AMS - Sound, FFB, AI
    iRacing - Online system
    RRE - Sound, FFB, time trial/leaderboards implementation
    All sims - Replay system, track penalty system, physics (over curbs, rain, etc), (smaller) amount of bugs

And all other sims must learn from PCARS2 how to make a COMPLETE game/sim with great visuals, tons of features, huge content and great atmosphere. And fantastic in game menu music of course!
    Last edited by cpcdem; 13-10-2019 at 15:54.
    The following 6 users likes this Post: Asturbo, Bliman, dault3883, Ixoye56, Javaniceday, PawelK

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    And all other sims must learn from PCARS2 how to make a COMPLETE game/sim with great visuals, tons of features, huge content and great atmosphere. And fantastic in game menu music of course!
    Amen. Other sims be like "working menus? pff, what are those??" This is actually the #1 reason I stick with pCARS2. It's a complete package.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Platform
    PC
    All sims - Replay system, [...] (smaller) amount of bugs
    THIS^^^
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Bliman, cpcdem, dault3883

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    ACC -Sound, FFB
    AMS - Sound, FFB, AI
    iRacing - Online system
    RRE - Sound, FFB, time trial/leaderboards implementation
    All sims - Replay system, track penalty system, physics (over curbs, rain, etc), (smaller) amount of bugs

So, to sum up SMS have a lot to learn about ffb and sound.

Would that be an accurate conclusion to draw based on what you've said here?
    Last edited by LukeC; 13-10-2019 at 21:59.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post

you forgot the smaller amount of bugs too
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Intel Core i7-8700k cpu @ 3.7GHz 3.70GHz Ram:16GB 64 bit operating system Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Not just that, to me it's all the items I listed that need to be improved a lot, it's just a coincidence that several of the other sims get (both) those two aspects better than PCARS2. But in my opinion all the rest are equally important, if not more important actually.

I do not know if they need to really _learn_ something, just offering my opinion on what other sims do better or a lot better than PCARS2. Possibly thedevs even knowingly designed the game with sound quality not up to other sims' standards (but still improved it from PCARS1), in order to save resources for other areas, this has been suggested a few times.
    The following user likes this Post: Bliman

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by dault3883 View Post
    you forgot the smaller amount of bugs too
    Trust me, I didn't forget. I don't think it's possible to forget the washed out intro video, the game gettting stuck on the title screen, the AI crashing into you every time into the first corner at long beach, and the entire snow/ice driving being broken and unplayable.

I just didn't mention it here because it wasn't really relevant to what to what cpcdem said.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Not just that, to me it's all the items I listed that need to be improved a lot, it's just a coincidence that several of the other sims get (both) those two aspects better than PCARS2. But in my opinion all the rest are equally important, if not more important actually.

I do not know if they need to really _learn_ something, just offering my opinion on what other sims do better or a lot better than PCARS2. Possibly thedevs even knowingly designed the game with sound quality not up to other sims' standards (but still improved it from PCARS1), in order to save resources for other areas, this has been suggested a few times.
    My opinion is that it's better to copy something that is really good and works really well, rather than to try to reinvent the wheel and create something mediocre that doesn't work well. So I think there is definitely merit in your suggestion that SMS should learn,or pick up, the best aspects of the other sims you've mentioned.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    My opinion is that it's better to copy something that is really good and works really well, rather than to try to reinvent the wheel and create something mediocre that doesn't work well. So I think there is definitely merit in your suggestion that SMS should learn,or pick up, the best aspects of the other sims you've mentioned.
    But how can you "copy" something from one to the other? For example the AI, IMO it is very problematic in every sim/racing game (except maybe for AMS), it is extremely complicated making it behave believably in all circumstances. Similar for the other aspects.

In my opinion, they key word here is "improve", not "copy". When PCARS2 was released, there was such huge potential in it, everything else seemed to be so small compared to it, it was just a matter of ironing out the bugs and problems and making improvements to some aspects. But unfortunately very very little comparably was improved at the end, in fact some aspects got worse during the one year patch period. Just IMO of course.

I am sure PCARS3/R will be a further big improvement of PCARS2, so will have the potential again to become the absolute sim, I am just afraid we may have some nasty new bad surprises again . Hope not...
    The following user likes this Post: Asturbo