Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Way harder than Assetto Corsa

Platform
    PC
    I think, it's best for the RL drivers to step away from a sim throughout the development. I feel they can immediately get acclimated to a sim like the sim racers here!
    Wheel Settings All of My Games (Slow WIP 8/2019)
    PC's used during WMD 2
    PC 1 Win 10 Home 64bit MSI 970 Gamer/FX-8350(4.2), 16GB Crucial, Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC (MSI AfterBurner 1100 and 1425)
    PC 2 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime X370-Pro/Ryzen 7 1700X 3.77 GHz, 32 GB Corsair Veng 3200 @ 2933,
    MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 120/89/137/425)
    PC 3 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)

Monitor LG 29" Ultrawide 2560x1080
    Steam, Origin, Uplay, and Epic (GTsimms)

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Even with professional race drivers you see that they can confuse FFB for physics. It is very difficult to judge the behaviour of a simulated car from what you see on a screen and feel through steering wheel FFB. Not saying that pC2 is all perfect, just that real-life race drivers are also not perfect and not always reliable judges of race sim accuracy. In the end, they need to adapt to playing a game, and some can do this better than others. That also explains why us game players are able to beat those pros, simply because we're more accustomed to the possibilities and limits of these games. A real-life driver who is limited by real-life habits (that prevent damaging his car and putting his life in danger) has a clear disadvantage to a game player who knows how to optimally use the limitations of the game.
    Also possibly some cars are done more realistically in PCARS2 (and in every other sim) than others. I assume real drivers did not drive every car of the game to give their input. Also since the game was released, many things were changed in the tire model (or the "numbers" fed into it) in the later patches of PCARS2, which was the correct behavior, on release or after the patches? GT3s and especially GTEs are now VERY different to what they were on release. Btw, I asked the guy to give a try to the Clio car as well, because as we know this was created with close collaboration with Nick Hamilton, but unfortunately I did not hear back from him. Maybe he was afraid his comments might end up at some forum

Note that I am not trying to bash PCARS2, it's just that we are mostly using PCARS2 here, and it's the sim I have the most experience with. AC was supposed to have the perfect tire model, but it went through so many iterations (15 or so?), some making a big difference to previous ones, and still I think now most people agree the model is outdated. iRacing, the jokes about its tire model are notorious. Etc.

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    AC was supposed to have the perfect tire model, but it went through so many iterations (15 or so?), some making a big difference to previous ones, and still I think now most people agree the model is outdated. iRacing, the jokes about its tire model are notorious. Etc.
    ACC feels IMHO much better AND more like PC2 than AC. That wasn't always the case though because in the early early access days it took me mental capacity to keep the car on track(Lambo on the Nürburgring)? . Just didn't feel natural and instinctive at all. That definately changed in the months after(was so put off by those first runs that I didn't bother to check for a while). To this day AC just doesn't have that last final bit of click with me, but I might have to do a full reinstall because somewhere down the line I went down the rabbithole of FFB tuning because I couldn't get the steering rack to feel how I wanted it to. Too many things telling what the car does that shouldn't be felt in the steering rack.

If I'm not mistaken AC uses a single point of contact on the tyres. ACC(after I came back) uses more(and so does PC2) something like 5, so that might me part of the issue I had with ACC first and still have with AC.
    Last edited by MaximusN; 24-10-2019 at 15:43.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    DD1, 918 Wheel, SQ V1.5 Shifter, CS Handbrake V1.5 , V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cpcdem, morpwr

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusN View Post
    ACC feels IMHO much better AND more like PC2 than AC. That wasn't always the case though because in the early early access days it took me mental capacity to keep the car on track. Just didn't feel natural and instinctive at all. To this day AC just have that last final bit of click with me, but I might have to do a full reinstall because somewhere down the line I went down the rabbithole of FFB tuning because I couldn't get the steering rack to feel how I wanted it to. Too many things telling what the car does that shouldn't be felt in the steering rack.
    Agreed, ACC now feels good,while it did not in the beginning to me either.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: MaximusN, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    Just wanted to add my two cents, in terms of physics PCARs 2 data matches more closely to my IRL data then any of the other sims. ACC is good, but I don't agree with the development choice Kunos went with limiting data channels, additionally their physics tick rate is extremely low. R3E and iRacing are good in physics but only for the newer content being created.
    RacingSimTools.com : Owner
    PC2Tuner, Car Tuning Software - https://www.racingsimtools.com/product-page/pc2tuner
    Tuning Discord :https://discord.gg/w2MeTey

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeratall View Post
    Just wanted to add my two cents, in terms of physics PCARs 2 data matches more closely to my IRL data then any of the other sims. ACC is good, but I don't agree with the development choice Kunos went with limiting data channels, additionally their physics tick rate is extremely low. R3E and iRacing are good in physics but only for the newer content being created.
    Fascinating to see how much reality actually deviates from the 'voice on the streets', which doesn't need real measurable data and facts. PC2 has its flaws and it's no wonder considering how big this game is, but the nonsense and BS smear campaign against it was really something else. Thanks for sharing your impressions with us.
    Last edited by rich1e I; 31-10-2019 at 20:57.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, morpwr, Zaskarspants

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeratall View Post
    My two cents: Pcars2 feels more natural in the ffb department, whereas AC is more artificial. But AC communicates the tyres grabbing the surface much better and it allows you to search for the minute amounts of tyre slip, which makes it more intuitive and easier to find the limit and to consistently keep it there -- which in turn makes it easier to drive at the limit consistently.

As far as pure physics and tyre similation is concerned it's about the same. The more complex/accurate tyre model in Pcars doesn't really come across because of the ffb, whereas with AC it's as though they got a better result through some kind if shorthand method.

This is definitely something that should be considered by SMS for the next Pcars, or whatever it's going to be called.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post
    My two cents: Pcars2 feels more natural in the ffb department, whereas AC is more artificial. But AC communicates the tyres grabbing the surface much better and it allows you to search for the minute amounts of tyre slip, which makes it more intuitive and easier to find the limit and to consistently keep it there -- which in turn makes it easier to drive at the limit consistently.

As far as pure physics and tyre similation is concerned it's about the same. The more complex/accurate tyre model in Pcars doesn't really come across because of the ffb, whereas with AC it's as though they got a better result through some kind if shorthand method.

This is definitely something that should be considered by SMS for the next Pcars, or whatever it's going to be called.
    I agree with pretty much all of this , Road cars in particular feel easier in AC as they feel more intuitive out the box . I much prefer the race cars in PC1 and 2 though.

I rarely use it but when I do load AC up I only use it for the tourist route on the Nords.
    AC on PC however is a night and day difference to the console version.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Even with professional race drivers you see that they can confuse FFB for physics. It is very difficult to judge the behaviour of a simulated car from what you see on a screen and feel through steering wheel FFB. Not saying that pC2 is all perfect, just that real-life race drivers are also not perfect and not always reliable judges of race sim accuracy. In the end, they need to adapt to playing a game, and some can do this better than others. That also explains why us game players are able to beat those pros, simply because we're more accustomed to the possibilities and limits of these games. A real-life driver who is limited by real-life habits (that prevent damaging his car and putting his life in danger) has a clear disadvantage to a game player who knows how to optimally use the limitations of the game.
    I think the biggest difference is real world drivers get G-force feedback from the cars and intuitively know how to interpret that and how to react to it. When sim racing you miss the G-forces. The FFB through steering wheels try to simulate some of that but you are still missing a large chuck of feedback you get in real life (IRL). Also some real world drivers can't get used to the disconnect when driving on monitors even if they are on triple screens. I know many fast real world drivers that can't overcome this disconnect. VR helps tremendously with immersion but some folks can't get over the motion sickness. For those that can, they are like fish in water and are automatically fast in the Sim using VR. But some real world drivers suffer from these challenges.

On the other hand some Sim racers that are fast in the Sim can't adjust to real life because they don't know how to interpret the G-Forces and the lack of FFB coming through their steering wheel. Also a big issue some people have, is they can't handle is the fear factor of racing in real life as there is no reset button. Based on my Sim Racing and Real World racing experience, the physics for the cars I have driven in game and in real life is 1 to 1. It's the most accurate of all the games I have played (including Forza, AC, iRacing).
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 2700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, PostBox981, Zaskarspants

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Well, just watch the driving tricks used by the very top drivers in the top PCARS2 competitions, how they use the wheel like a joystick, moving it repeatedly quickly back and forth to get the fastest cornering, does not look very realistic physics to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQuU...outu.be&t=2237
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQuU...youtu.be&t=412
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/509369627?t=0h42m45s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/509369627?t=1h36m58s