Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

Platform
    XBOX1 X

Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

OMG, it’s finally happening!!! A new Half-Life game!!!!

But it’s VR only..... 😒
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    From Heise.de:
    Valve hatte bereits angekündigt, der virtuellen Realität und insbesondere der eigenen VR-Brille Index mit hochwertigen VR-Titeln auf die Sprünge helfen zu wollen, insgesamt drei sollen davon entwickelt werden. Traditionell fällt es Valve schwer, drei Spiele zu entwickeln: Half-Life, die Half-Life-Episoden, Team Fortress, Portal und Left 4 Dead blieben alle bei Teil 2 stehen. Fans nehmen das Valve vor allem bei Half-Life übel, dessen Story nicht zu Ende erzählt wurde.
    My translation:
    Valve had already announced plans to help virtual reality and in particular its own VR glasses index with high-quality VR titles, a total of three are expected to be developed. Traditionally, Valve struggles to develop three games: Half-Life, the Half-Life episodes, Team Fortress, Portal, and Left 4 Dead all got stuck on Part 2. Fans are still upset about the Half-Life episodes, where the story was left unfinished.
    Still - this might me somewhat intriguing.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted SOLD / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    I still feel that if you want your game to be a success, or at least break even on your development costs, you should not develop for VR only. But maybe I'm old-fashioned...
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think
    The following 2 users likes this Post: bporion, FS7

Platform
    PC
    That's most likely not their goal. It's way more likely that they want to push their Index VR headset with the help of Half-Life's popularity.
    Last edited by Bealdor; 19-11-2019 at 10:47.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    That's most likely not their goal. It's way more likely that they want to push their Index VR headset with the help of Half-Life's popularity.
    Spend so much money to be able to play one particular game (with the risk that you're one of those people who cannot adapt to VR)? I know gamers can be crazy, but I think they'd make more money selling the game including pancake mode.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    The following user likes this Post: bporion

Platform
    PC
    3 new Valve games were announced, when they mentioned the Index early this year.
    Now the Index is out, they are a little bit late with pushing it with unreleased games.
    I think this games should have been ready for Index release
    Every car could be a race car, as long as you have the balls to drive it like that !

System MSI Mortar Titanium B450 | CPU Ryzen 5-1600x | RAM 32GB DDR4 | GPU RTX2080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1903 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1 / HP Reverb | Motion Next Level Motion V3
    Devil's Core - Drivers Club ( german language )
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/
    The following 2 users likes this Post: MaximusN, MrTulip

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Spend so much money to be able to play one particular game (with the risk that you're one of those people who cannot adapt to VR)? I know gamers can be crazy, but I think they'd make more money selling the game including pancake mode.
    Good VR games tend to be developed for VR in the first place(or even exclusively). If it translates okay to pancake mode fine. I'd hate to think what Star Trek Bridge crew would be like if VR was an after thought...

Like 3D movies. The ones filmed in 3D are the best experience ever, but somehow almost everybody goes the cheap after effects 3D route. It's the biggest reason there are a lot of people that hate 3D(stereoscopic vision is what stereo is compared to mono in audio:you have 2 eyes and 2 ears for a reason). And it hurts stereoscopic gaming too. I'm kind of stuck with my TV because everybody stopped making them. And to top it off Nvidia has stopped packaging 3DVision in their drivers. But luckily there's a way to do it with a Reshade shader now. But it is power3D mode, so kind of artificial. Works pretty okay in ace games though(can't always be bothered to get the Vive and it's mostly the stereoscopic part I miss in std pancake anyway).
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    DD1, 918 Wheel, SQ V1.5 Shifter, CS Handbrake V1.5 , V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, satco1066

Platform
    PC
    I loved Half Life 2 but I'm not going to buy a VR kit to play HL:Alyx, mainly since my gaming activities have been and are decreasing slowly over time the past years so I'm not going to put a lot of money into this (I also still don't trust they long-term effects of VR on eyesight, especially for children). If they add pancake mode I'd get the game for sure, provided that the reviews are OK.

The following user likes this Post: breyzipp

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    I loved Half Life 2 but I'm not going to buy a VR kit to play HL:Alyx, mainly since my gaming activities have been and are decreasing slowly over time the past years so I'm not going to put a lot of money into this (I also still don't trust they long-term effects of VR on eyesight, especially for children). If they add pancake mode I'd get the game for sure, provided that the reviews are OK.
    I loved Half Life 2(including all episodes) but it's been so long I'm not bothered about a sequel anymore so I might not get it either even though I own a Vive and a Lenovo Explorer.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    DD1, 918 Wheel, SQ V1.5 Shifter, CS Handbrake V1.5 , V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 4770K, 55" UHD LG/Vive

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)

Platform
    PC
    Halve Life was a game changer but WAS.. I won't buy it. there are other great games..
    Steam: Bull Shark CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:Triple IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 7680x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5, CSL Elite pedals & loadcell brake| Misc: Oculus Rift , Simlab GT1 EVO Rig , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.